The dog catching treats

Name
Allie
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I realise this is not very good but they are better than last time. I’m trying those treat catching photos, I struggle to get the light enough for the shutter speed and stuff. So very noisy. Might try outside next time. I’d also be grateful for any advice on how to make this sort of photo better. Here’s the best photo of the lot. See what I mean by bad, it is cute though. Trying to improve lots. I don’t take too photos of the dog, especially this sort, so it’s quite new to me.

Ben by Alice Brown, on Flickr

The first thing is the settings you don't need 1/8000 to freeze this sort of action, I would try around a quarter of this or less see how you go

1/8000 is putting your ISO way up thus the noise, also I would try F4 minimum, maybe if outside F7.1 for a bit more DOF

It always hard work with these kinds of shots so there will be a lot of bin material but am sure you will get one in end, either that or a very fat dog lol!!

I don't do many dog/pet shots but this one was at ƒ/4.0 105.0 mm 1/1600 400 ISO

Also as you suggest outside will be better for light so lower ISO

Max GSD (eye on the ball or what is left of it anyway?) by Mick Erwin, on Flickr

One thing to remember is "figure to ground" - which is the relationship between subject and background. If the subject were your dog, it'd be fine because the background is light & the dog is dark. However the subject is actually the treat, and it's hard to spot. Consider throwing it higher so it isn't camouflaged by the dog, or changing your angle altogether. Good composition will win out over technical imperfections and give you a photo that makes you smile whether it's sharp/well lit, or not. Of course, sharp, well exposed images are preferable, but if you'd got the perfect exposure here, it would then be a very well exposed, but still 'difficult to see' treat.

From experience, I have found that the best results come when using a flash (speedlight). It's the flash that freezes the motion of the treat and dog. Not the shutter speed as such.
As an example and by no means perfect
2019-02-11_12-58-07.jpg

yeah, i had a google and the flash seems to be key. i have ordered what i wanted, though i cant remember exactly what i bought, but it is the right thing lol. its coming tuesday, so i will update then.

thank you.

also your dogs are all adorable.

I think I’m getting there a bit. I keep forgetting about the aperture though. Im gonna remember tomorrow though. I’d do it now but I’ve already fed it a whole packet of treats, oops. So here’s today’s best shots. I vignetted them this time.

by Alice Brown, on Flickr

Nice pics, a little bit too heavy on the vignetting though for my taste!

saw some of these at the photography show this year and really liked the concept, must try it sometime with our two. Can't really add to the above advice as i think its mostly been nailed, i would agree on the vignetting though especially with a black dog as it makes the whole image too dark for me

Nice pics, a little bit too heavy on the vignetting though for my taste!
saw some of these at the photography show this year and really liked the concept, must try it sometime with our two. Can't really add to the above advice as i think its mostly been nailed, i would agree on the vignetting though especially with a black dog as it makes the whole image too dark for me

Thanks. To be fair I agree too, I think I went a bit too much vignetty. Next time I’m gonna try a bit less. Might adjust later.

Thanks
The dog destroyed an empty packet of treats (that’s what the purple is), in the hope there were treats in there lol. I should have cleared the floor but I didn’t.

So that now tells a story, and I say leave it in :) lol me.

Well, I had a nosy on the vieler photography facebook page (hes the one who does the treat photos) he said he shoots 1/160, aperture 13 and iso 400, so i tried similar settings. This is so much fun. I personally quite like them, they aren't great but im happy. I think I over did the vignetting but anyhoo.

ben8 by Alice Brown, on Flickr

ben10 by Alice Brown, on Flickr

This is my progress today. it looks a wee bit better (still terrible) but at least you can see the treat a bit better. Im gonna keep trying till i get this.

ben3 by Alice Brown, on Flickr

That is definetly progress in the right direction!(y)
Tbh I'd be rather pleased with that, it certainly does show the enjoyment your dog obviously has in playing "catch the treat".

Going on Ians comment about the purple empty packet, I'd suggest trying to ensure a "clean" background ( including the cable? on the floor) so as to not distract from the main subject but overall I reckon you'll nail a belter of a shot in no time with just a bit more practice.;)

. This is so much fun. I personally quite like them, they aren't great but im happy.

And ^^THIS^^ is what it's all about!

I personally prefer the shot angle like in post #7 rather than the more direct in the face ones but it's important that you get results that YOU are happy with rather than attempting to please other folk.

I'd suggest trying to ensure a "clean" background
This is so important, the background is part of the photo. It's not a secondary thing, backgrounds can make or break a photo.
Well done for persevering, it's really paid off.

My dog has virtually no reactions, treats bounce off his head without him even flinching! He just picks then up of the floor!

My dog has virtually no reactions, treats bounce off his head without him even flinching! He just picks then up of the floor!
i suspect this is what i will be up against when i try, we have one pooch that is very much food orientated (good food manners but will do anything for a treat) and the other will go on hunger strike when it suits her because someone farted about 10 doors down the street

Yeah go for it.
Ok Thanks,

These are (were) my Labrador and spaniel sadly both no longer with us.

I used a fisheye lens for these and dropped the small biscuits. I like their eyes.

i-DXmRTJp-XL.jpg

i-zmB55px-XL.jpg

i-hgCvjSS-XL.jpg

i-mbdR2rF-XL.jpg

Ok Thanks,

These are (were) my Labrador and spaniel sadly both no longer with us.

I used a fisheye lens for these and dropped the small biscuits. I like their eyes.

i-DXmRTJp-XL.jpg

i-zmB55px-XL.jpg

i-hgCvjSS-XL.jpg

i-mbdR2rF-XL.jpg
That first one is a belter, the eye have it :)

Well, I had a nosy on the vieler photography facebook page (hes the one who does the treat photos) he said he shoots 1/160, aperture 13 and iso 400, so i tried similar settings. This is so much fun. I personally quite like them, they aren't great but im happy. I think I over did the vignetting but anyhoo.

ben8 by Alice Brown, on Flickr

ben10 by Alice Brown, on Flickr
They're coming on fella, keep at it and keep enjoying it.

Back