The Duchess, in Crimson Lake

Great news, I'll have to keep a look out for it now. Like the third photo best of the selection.

Nice set, not seen this loco.

Apparently it's coming up to the East Lancs Railway for their Autumn Steam Gala on the 19th-21st Oct.

Nice set, not seen this loco.

Apparently it's coming up to the East Lancs Railway for their Autumn Steam Gala on the 19th-21st Oct.

Thanks Geoff, it certainly is a lovely loco, I thought I liked it in green, but there is something about the LMS Crimson Lake livery, it really suits it. You will be in for a treat when you see it.

It is at severn valley, then swanage 12th-14th and appears as if it will move from swanage to the ELR.

Here are a some others from her running in...

6233, Duchess Of Sutherland by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I like the third shot. For some reason it looks like a large-scale model in a garden railway in that image, or is it just me?

I did see Galatea last week, unfortunately the sun came out from behind the clouds just as it arrived, which meant I had to do a quick reposition and was left in a place with a much shorter view. Photos not worth posting, which is a pity.

Last edited:
I like the third shot. For some reason it looks like a large-scale model in a garden railway in that image, or is it just me?

I did see Galatea last week, unfortunately the sun came out from behind the clouds just as it arrived, which meant I had to do a quick reposition and was left in a place with a much shorter view. Photos not worth posting, which is a pity.

Thanks Mike, re #3, I thought that too as soon as I reviewed the the image on the back of the camera and quite liked the result from it. I have taken pictures from the same location before and noticed it,

I haven't photographed galatea in a while, the last time I tried, we only saw it from the car!

I tried again for duchess again today on her move to the severn valley, photographing from a bridge, not knowing there was a foot crossing I could have walked too! I shall know for next time though... annoying as it was her first mainline trip since overhaul, and not a diesel in sight!

Duchess Of Sutherland by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking John, have only just logged in properly, have been away on holiday, got back late Sunday and been going through lots of pictures.

Been tied up myself,Michael. I'm looking forward to seeing it...or her..lol.

Back