The Duffers.............

my first attempt at bird in flight
bleddyn

A huge step forward there Bleddyn, you have the bird in the frame. My first one's didn't!

A huge step forward there Bleddyn, you have the bird in the frame. My first one's didn't!

its a lot harder than i had imagained:thinking:

i forgot to add that i nearley fell over aswell:LOL: i have got a couple of other images of the same bird but its like an out of focus silhouette flying away from me i will stick them up later if i get some time.

bleddyn

Give this thread a bump.....

If my ID is incorrect I'm more than happy to be corrected, but (I hope) today I not only saw my first Kingfisher, but also managed to get a shot of it in flight.

Faster shutter and better pan would obv have helped, along with having it in focus........ :LOL: (It was flying L to R by the way, out from the banks of a reservoir).

Here it is........

CLICK FOR BIGGER

Yep -your ID is correct - there's only one bird with that electric blue colour!

Maddeningly difficult to catch these birds in flight - they're so fast. Your best bet is to set up to try and catch them leaving from or alighting on a regular perching spot if you can identify one. Being pre-focused on a likely area helps a lot.

Just be aware that fascination with Kingfishers can lead to them taking over your life! ;)

Last edited:
Give this thread a bump.....

If my ID is incorrect I'm more than happy to be corrected, but (I hope) today I not only saw my first Kingfisher, but also managed to get a shot of it in flight.

Faster shutter and better pan would obv have helped, along with having it in focus........ :LOL: (It was flying L to R by the way, out from the banks of a reservoir).

Here it is........

CLICK FOR BIGGER

nice shot.

heres one from this morning.its a woody:LOL:

005 by bledd125, on Flickr

bleddyn

Yeah - like the motion blur in the wings, complimentary BG, and great focus on the.... errr... tail? :)

(y)

It's great to think I have more pictures better suited to this section than any other :D:D

At the moment with critique you could take any of these and get a "superb shot" "great shot" "something different i like it" blah blah blah.
Looks like the new fashion could be out of focus but saved from the recycle bin shots :rolleyes:

Rough -legged buzzard + Magpie`s, dodgyscoped at about a 500 yards through fog 10 years ago. Kit Optolyth scope + Nikon Cooolpix 4300 and inner of bog roll to provide snug fit. Cutting edge bird photography, :) :) :)

ruffy2.jpg

PS the local farmer told us it was a Golden Eagle, cos the gang repairing the road identified it. :) , proved popular with the local Twitchers.

Reminds me too save the crap I usually bin and post them in here.................;)

This is my most disappointing shot as it is a Black Harrier (Circus maurus) and I only managed to fire off two shots and both are as bad

I have only seen the bird once and there are reported to be less that 1000 birds left

B_Harrier.jpg

Last edited:
Amazed that my thread is still going - nearly 5 years now :clap: ...........and good to see that entries are keeping to a low standard:exit:

Amazed that my thread is still going - nearly 5 years now :clap: ...........and good to see that entries are keeping to a low standard:exit:

We wouldnt want to let the side down Tom,hope you are keeping well.

Sparrow Bathing (about 19), with sheer skill I managed to get everyone out of focus...

10437-1425574710-6d60455a655a8b43bc3b3f6df0ea2caf.jpg

Back