The Elan Valley

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the winter I've started to reprocess old files, reprocess again and sort out my libraries, back up strategy as well as find alternative work since this Covid19 outbreak.

Before the outbreak I was planning on coming back here, maybe in early May when the reservoirs would still be full but the foiliage would be a bit fuller, a bit greener but the mornings still cold to give that wonderful clarity you get in the mornings before the heat builds. It's only 6hrs30 from my home - so in normal times perfectly do-able for a morning shoot and back up the road and home for Lunch.

Here's some from 2014 - in photography terms I was just as restricted as I am now - I was disqualified from driving so relied on a friend to take me here for a weekend where I got these shots. Lucky might be the understatement of the century. The Light, the reflections and the whole sense of being here made life seem perfect for me at the time when I was off the road. Now life sucks for everyone - but it has to in-order to keep safe.

Message of the day - don't go out - stay in and work on old images, maybe images you never got round to processing - but please don't go out and make new ones.

Back to the shots - my mate and I stayed in the Elan Valley Hotel - but he wasn't for the early start. To the final spots in this thread it's maybe a 30min walk. About 10mins in you get to the first dam.

_DSC1635 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Arrival at Garreg Ddu - it was grey and flat - but oh so calm.

_DSC1661 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1665 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I lingered around a bit as started to head back to the hotel - I was to meet Brian for breakfast. Not long after walking back the light broke though - Brian wouldn't mind as these were the shots to take...I hurried back, ran down the steep embankment of the reservoir to get to the waters edge - I don't do foreground - particularly if it is messy which it is from the footpath.

_DSC1682 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The light faded a bit

_DSC1684 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Back for another shot

_DSC1701 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Slightly different light fall and back to the hotel

_DSC1705 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Much epicness Steve. You'll know how dear to my heart Elan is, sadly all closed off for now.

All lovely, but number 5 for me. I wish someone would cut that tree down in front of the church though. ;-)

Great stuff Steve.

I love the Elan Valley, we drive through it on our annual car club trip to North Wales, and I have to say, I find the whole area stunning. Never had it quite so calm though...

[
Since the winter I've started to reprocess old files, reprocess again and sort out my libraries, back up strategy as well as find alternative work since this Covid19 outbreak.

Before the outbreak I was planning on coming back here, maybe in early May when the reservoirs would still be full but the foiliage would be a bit fuller, a bit greener but the mornings still cold to give that wonderful clarity you get in the mornings before the heat builds. It's only 6hrs30 from my home - so in normal times perfectly do-able for a morning shoot and back up the road and home for Lunch.

Here's some from 2014 - in photography terms I was just as restricted as I am now - I was disqualified from driving so relied on a friend to take me here for a weekend where I got these shots. Lucky might be the understatement of the century. The Light, the reflections and the whole sense of being here made life seem perfect for me at the time when I was off the road. Now life sucks for everyone - but it has to in-order to keep safe.

Message of the day - don't go out - stay in and work on old images, maybe images you never got round to processing - but please don't go out and make new ones.

Back to the shots - my mate and I stayed in the Elan Valley Hotel - but he wasn't for the early start. To the final spots in this thread it's maybe a 30min walk. About 10mins in you get to the first dam.

_DSC1635 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Arrival at Garreg Ddu - it was grey and flat - but oh so calm.

_DSC1661 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1665 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I lingered around a bit as started to head back to the hotel - I was to meet Brian for breakfast. Not long after walking back the light broke though - Brian wouldn't mind as these were the shots to take...I hurried back, ran down the steep embankment of the reservoir to get to the waters edge - I don't do foreground - particularly if it is messy which it is from the footpath.

_DSC1682 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The light faded a bit

_DSC1684 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Back for another shot

_DSC1701 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Slightly different light fall and back to the hotel

_DSC1705 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr
3rd from the end DSC 1684 V3 is the very best of this bunch imo, perfect light, lead-in line and that reflection.
Well worth the re-edit.

Good use of very unusual conditions! Particularly in the 4th, the early spring vegetation looks just right.

I've been thinking on this post - I reckon just two weeks on there will be that lovely vibrant early summer green leaves on the trees. You can see it's beginning. The problem with this spot in high summer is the water levels falls a lot and you start to see the typical ugly signs of reservoir. My next trip has to balance the need for more vegetation but still a high spring/winter water level. My gut is the first-third weeks of May are the ones and in that time you want a still day, with some cloud cover with a relatively cool nigh to ensure the air is clear rather than a hot spell where it gets hazy. Autumn is great her but the water level really drops....

One for another year :(

Other than a slight lack of folliage for my tastes I couldn't have asked for a better morning.

Back