The Flying Scotsman

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have only seen the Flying Scotsman in bits before when it was getting restored in York. Made the effort to get to a viewpoint I had work out from seeing another photo and quite pleased with the result. The sun went behind the clouds and took the light off the tracks which was a pity but it was a great sight and a fitting backdrop.
The Flying Scotsman with Forth Bridge backdrop by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Nice colours and idea, but the train appears diminutive and secondary to the landscape,
Personally like these locos to be in a timeless scene, so modern masts, fences and streetlights spoil the effect for me

I have only seen the Flying Scotsman in bits before when it was getting restored in York. Made the effort to get to a viewpoint I had work out from seeing another photo and quite pleased with the result. The sun went behind the clouds and took the light off the tracks which was a pity but it was a great sight and a fitting backdrop.
The Flying Scotsman with Forth Bridge backdrop by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Sadly no one was allowed to get too near

Is that above s q ferry

Dalmeny??

I think it's a great shot, with the exception of the road signs and works in the bottom right corner. Cropping that out, though, would lose too much.

Unusual shot . The train was always going to look small if you wanted the background bridge in the frame.

. Hopefully, weather permitting I should get it trackside tomorrow early evening.

That's a splendid shot. it really tells the story of the railway being part of the infrastructure of the country.
The only way to improve it would be to get rid of the dreadful A3 and replace it with a Merchant Navy :coat:

Very impressive shot in stunning scenery. Well done!

Picked this one up on Saturday 24 June as "The Flying Scotsman" pulled the "Scarborough Flyer" from Scarborough to King's Cross. Once in Lincolnshire it took a detour from the mainline to travel through Gainsborough, Lincoln, Sleaford and on to Peterborough. This shot was taken just outside Branston, about 5 miles south of Lincoln, across a field of grain. Looks very different crossing the lowlands of Lincolnshire from shots that we often see of it in the rugged scenery of northern England and Scotland:
18421-1498389268-47c8122e409677b3af03d9ecb50d62ab.jpg

Really enjoyed the opportunity to see this iconic engine in very different surroundings.

Last edited:
Back