The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific result, but would the supporters have been happy 5/10 years ago watching Arsenal compete in the Europa (or as I prefer to call it No-hopers) cup.

Right now I'll take any win, especially away, in Italy, wearing that bloody blue kit......

Wenger OUT!

Still convinced he'll go at the end of this year. A 2 year deal gave the the stability we needed, but then gave the board a year to find a replacement, and Wenger gets a years salary as a payoff. For the business, that will prove a good solution.

I have no doubt that, with the changes in back room management that Gazidis has already made, there will be further changes, allowing a proper "coach" to come in, while other people look after the contracts, player deals etc..

Brilliant performance under the circumstances and with the personnel available. Chambers at RB and Welbeck up top? I'll take a 0-2 away win all day long.

Ozil turned up, thought he had a good performance. His through ball was lovely weighted.

Ozil turned up, thought he had a good performance. His through ball was lovely weighted.
He's phenomenal. Seeing him live is just a joy, you could literally just watch him and only him. Quality of touch and movement is top class.

Ramsey played a great game too. Excellent, composed finish from him and the flick that started it off.

Whether I'm happy with competing in the EL? Well, we ain't getting top 4 so it's a route back to where we want to be (much like United). I'd rather we were in it than not right now.

Disgusting behaviour by Jamie Carragher, spitting at someone from his car. He can apologise all he wants but there is no excuse for what he did, and could cost him his TV career. I'd have little sympathy if he did.

Not that I am condoning what Carragher did, I would be interested to see if any action is taken against the driver of the other car, he was clearly driving his car with his phone in his hand videoing what was going on. The fact that he made that "evidence" available just shows how stupid he is. Doing that in front of his 14 year old daughter does not really set an example does it.....

Not that I am condoning what Carragher did, I would be interested to see if any action is taken against the driver of the other car, he was clearly driving his car with his phone in his hand videoing what was going on. The fact that he made that "evidence" available just shows how stupid he is. Doing that in front of his 14 year old daughter does not really set an example does it.....

I only saw it briefly on the news but was the driver holding the phone or was it his daughter? It looked like it was being filmed from the passenger side.

Disgusting behaviour by Jamie Carragher, spitting at someone from his car. He can apologise all he wants but there is no excuse for what he did, and could cost him his TV career. I'd have little sympathy if he did.

IMO I think as he was showing how to be a disgusting pig, sack him, he should know better. Even when players spit in the faces of each other I`d sack them.

Totally agree with others, that what Carragher did was disgusting and IMO, he should be banned now. Admittedly, if you look at the video, it wasn't a spit persay, as in bringing up something nasty and spitting it, more spraying a mouthful of water. I think this actually may be his saving grace as being 'not quite so disgusting', but time will tell.

From the driver's side of things, the bloke is just a dick, looking for a bit of notoriety from a video clip he's recorded. I've heard his response on the video to the spit and he's just laughing at the fact that his daughter has been spat on by Carragher, and not once is he interested in his daughter's well-being He should be dealt with separately and banned from driving

Last edited:
I have to defend Carra here. Yes he was out of order but being goaded into a reaction. Last time I looked, humans are prone to emotion and reacting to things. We all do it, we shouldn't but we do (people react on forums like these). Human nature. He was not looking for trouble but when idiots wind you up you sometimes cant help but react.

I have to defend Carra here. Yes he was out of order but being goaded into a reaction. Last time I looked, humans are prone to emotion and reacting to things. We all do it, we shouldn't but we do (people react on forums like these). Human nature. He was not looking for trouble but when idiots wind you up you sometimes cant help but react.
He has had face to face intimidation on a football pitch for decades and not reacted in the same way. If he can't control himself with Utd fans, or any fans, should Liverpool lose on a game he is covering, maybe they should not let him near Liverpool games again. :rolleyes:

All it took was winding up his window again. Smile and think, 'I'm getting a ***tload of money just for talking about a game, when I already have millions in the Bank'. :rolleyes:

I don't see the point of the many apologies he is doing. He did it, he apologised to the family involved and to his employers, no need to go on and on. What will happen will happen.

The driver should be done for driving whilst using a phone too, especially with a child in the car, but I suppose nothing will happen.

If he does lose his job from Sky, then it would be a bit hypocritical by them when Kirsty Gallacher kept her job by putting peoples lives in danger by driving 3x over the limit. :thinking: :(

Sky will sack him depending on the social media 'Outrage'. If there's not much he'll keep his job.

He has had face to face intimidation on a football pitch for decades and not reacted in the same way. If he can't control himself with Utd fans, or any fans, should Liverpool lose on a game he is covering, maybe they should not let him near Liverpool games again. :rolleyes:

All it took was winding up his window again. Smile and think, 'I'm getting a ***tload of money just for talking about a game, when I already have millions in the Bank'. :rolleyes:

I don't see the point of the many apologies he is doing. He did it, he apologised to the family involved and to his employers, no need to go on and on. What will happen will happen.

The driver should be done for driving whilst using a phone too, especially with a child in the car, but I suppose nothing will happen.

If he does lose his job from Sky, then it would be a bit hypocritical by them when Kirsty Gallacher kept her job by putting peoples lives in danger by driving 3x over the limit. :thinking: :(

Good point about Kirsty. That said (assuming you don’t drive for a living or need a license) why should you be sacked. Most of us could be done for drink driving and keep our jobs. The legal system dishes out the appropriate punishment so it should be left as that.

It's very little goading compared to the reaction. They've not spat on him or called his mum a whore - they've pointed out a team he used to play for lost a game.
If you care so much about a football game that spitting on another person - let alone a minor - seems not only a reasonable reaction to such mild provocation but one you'd publicly defend, you might have issues with anger management.
You bring up discussion forums - would you defend me if I was so incensed by your post that I came round your house and spat on your child?

It's very little goading compared to the reaction. They've not spat on him or called his mum a whore - they've pointed out a team he used to play for lost a game.
If you care so much about a football game that spitting on another person - let alone a minor - seems not only a reasonable reaction to such mild provocation but one you'd publicly defend, you might have issues with anger management.
You bring up discussion forums - would you defend me if I was so incensed by your post that I came round your house and spat on your child?

Maybe its just well worded but his apology appears to be sincere, I don't think he has done anything like that before so surely everyone is entitled to make a mistake or lack of judgement. I know I have made a number over the years!

Maybe its just well worded but his apology appears to be sincere, I don't think he has done anything like that before so surely everyone is entitled to make a mistake or lack of judgement. I know I have made a number over the years!

A sincere apology doesn't caveat itself with "but it's not really my fault because they made me do it". That's barely an apology at all.

Fair play to Southgate. Looked ok against the Dutch on fri. As I type this it will be 6 or clean sheets on the spin. Looking good against Italy. Some great passing and movement. Never thought I would say this but young is playing very well and needs to start. Like the back 3 with tarkowski.

From the starting line up, Kane for vardy is probably about it.

As I type this it will be 6 or clean sheets on the spin.
Jinx. No clean sheet.

Looking good against Italy. Some great passing and movement.
Jinx. They stopped passing and moving.

Never thought I would say this but young is playing very well and needs to start.
Jinx. Rolls of the pitch injured and then rolls back on.

Like the back 3 with tarkowski.
Jinx. He gives away the penalty.

I must say that is one of the most badly timed posts I have ever seen. lol

Jinx. No clean sheet.

Jinx. They stopped passing and moving.

Jinx. Rolls of the pitch injured and then rolls back on.

Jinx. He gives away the penalty.

I must say that is one of the most badly timed posts I have ever seen. lol

In that case Welbeck & Bellerin are world class and must not be sold by Arsenal, and that Wenger is brilliant and must be given an extension!:p

Excellent footballer and a true gentleman. Shocking loss at only 61 [emoji853]
RIP Ray.

Gareth Southgate: "What did you do over the weekend Dele"?
Dele Alli "Oh I emptied the Shed, only took 5 minutes...."

:D

Laporte.. when Salah had the ball last night. :D

DZ9kNr1W4AI9c8g.jpg:large

It was a great game last night, and very good result for Liverpool. :) Only half time, but Liverpool are in a good position.

Very disappointed with the crowd trouble prior to the game. I thought there would be trouble, but I didn't think to would have been so bad. I think there could be repercussions from that down the line, and it would be hard to argue against. Hopefully they will find those responsible.

Wonderful finish by Ramsey for his 2nd tonight. We're still leaking goals though....

Liverpool got through by not playing too well and under controversial circumstances, that Sane goal should have stood. Thought the Ref gad a bad game. The Ref in the first game was very good though. I think scoring five goals against the Champions in waiting and liniting them to few chances over two games was worth the win overall.

Barca going out was a huge shock. :eek:

I think it would be extremely funny if Real went out too tonight. :LOL:

A friend said that the scumbag that is Joey Barton said Liverpool had no chance against Cit€h. Hope he bet on it. ;)

Wish I'd had a bet with my Manc golf buddy that they'd be soundly beaten! Give him his due though, he's rooting for Liverpool in what's left of the competition now his favoured team is out - he's a football fan rather than a single team zealot!

I heard an amazing stat on the radio over the weekend. There are 92 teams in the 4 divisions of the football league, and 91 of them have gained at least one point away from home during 2018. The sole exception? Arsenal.
  • Jan 14th: 1-2 at Bournemouth
  • Jan 30th: 1-3 at Swansea
  • Feb 10th: 0-1 at Tottenham
  • Mar 4th: 1-2 at Brighton
  • Apr 15th: 1-2 at Newcastle

I heard an amazing stat on the radio over the weekend. There are 92 teams in the 4 divisions of the football league, and 91 of them have gained at least one point away from home during 2018. The sole exception? Arsenal.
  • Jan 14th: 1-2 at Bournemouth
  • Jan 30th: 1-3 at Swansea
  • Feb 10th: 0-1 at Tottenham
  • Mar 4th: 1-2 at Brighton
  • Apr 15th: 1-2 at Newcastle

Wenger OUT!!!

I will be supporting Burnley for the rest of the season! They are 2 points behind and should they finish above Arsenal surely the board have to act. No disrespect to Burnley, they are a well run club, a great manager and have done so well this season (Dyche should be Manager of the Year), but its a disgrace that a club like arsenal finish so close to them.

Maybe next season they will try and emulate the "invincibles" and go a whole season without an away point? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back