The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just the price for World Class players, how much for Varane, £100M?

Remarkable stat on the BBC website tonight.

Since Claude Puel took over at Leicester, the team have won 17 points in the Premier League. In that same period of time only Burnley (18) and of course Manchester City (21) have more.

I support Leicester city (Leicestershire born) and much as I wish LCFC could keep this winning form up, I doubt it.
This is (imo) the much talked about ‘new manager bounce’. We saw this when Claudio Ranieri took over from Nigel Pearson and against all expectations they kept it going all season and won the Premiership. The following season they reverted to type, a below average team with 2 or 3 excellent players.
Claudio got sacked and Craig Shakespeare took over and once again we saw the ‘bounce’ 6 ? unbeaten games and shooting up the table. The winning form dropped off and Craig got sacked. A nice man who no-one spoke ill of sacked because an average team were playing . . . Er average. Welcome Mr Claude Puel, and surprise surprise we shoot up the table.
I suspect the bubble has already burst, badly beaten by a poor Crystal Palace team. Couldn’t beat Man City reserves/under 18’s at home in the League cup. A very lucky draw at home to Man United and beaten away by Watford (who hadn’t won for 6 matches) Sadly winning the premier league for a team like Leicester has raised the owners expectations beyond realistic levels. How long before Claude Puel gets sacked ? watch this space.

Last edited:
WTF is going on in football grounds these days? In the news today:
* Jake Livermore of West Brom was taunted by a West Ham fan over the death of his newborn son.
* Dean Shiels of Dunfermline, who lost one eye in an accident when he was a child, had fake eyeballs thrown at him by Forfar fans.

I'm usually quite in favour of black humour, but I can't help thinking that these "top bants" have actually crossed the line.

WTF is going on in football grounds these days? In the news today:
* Jake Livermore of West Brom was taunted by a West Ham fan over the death of his newborn son.
* Dean Shiels of Dunfermline, who lost one eye in an accident when he was a child, had fake eyeballs thrown at him by Forfar fans.

I'm usually quite in favour of black humour, but I can't help thinking that these "top bants" have actually crossed the line.
I try to see the humour in most things, and I can't think of any scenario where either of those sad situations can be looked at in an anyway 'funny' way. :thinking:

I think it is a symptom of the internet age, where people can say some vile things to people online, and the vast majority of the time not be pulled up or brought to book because of the size of the internet, the anonymity, lack of monitoring and enforcing on websites/forums and social media imho. Now that such things are spilling into 'real life' hopefully the scum will find a firm consequence for their actions.

Coutinho finally going to Barca. :rolleyes: £105m rising to £142m with the rest in "realistic add-ons". It will be interesting to see how realistic these add-ons are, as one that was mentioned a few weeks ago was winning the Ballon D'Or. Unless Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar all retire or have unfortunate accidents, no one else is winning that for the next few years. And Mr Kane will be heading the queue if he keeps on scoring at the same rate.

An initial £96.5m (and hopefully rising) profit is good financial business at least. I think only Barca think he is actually worth that much, but they were willing pay it. :)

I'm torn though, I wish the player well, and if he and Barca are successful, Liverpool get more money. :) But I want Barca to fall on the **se because of the way they have conducted themselves.

And I have no doubt many Southampton fans will feel the same way about Liverpool btw. ;)

Coutinho finally going to Barca. :rolleyes: £105m rising to £142m with the rest in "realistic add-ons". It will be interesting to see how realistic these add-ons are, as one that was mentioned a few weeks ago was winning the Ballon D'Or. Unless Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar all retire or have unfortunate accidents, no one else is winning that for the next few years. And Mr Kane will be heading the queue if he keeps on scoring at the same rate.

An initial £96.5m (and hopefully rising) profit is good financial business at least. I think only Barca think he is actually worth that much, but they were willing pay it. :)

I'm torn though, I wish the player well, and if he and Barca are successful, Liverpool get more money. :) But I want Barca to fall on the **se because of the way they have conducted themselves.

And I have no doubt many Southampton fans will feel the same way about Liverpool btw. ;)

I guess Klopp will be on the train to Southampton tomorrow for some January shopping...

I've really enjoyed watching the Coutinho saga unfold.

Barcelona: 80 million Euros for Coutinho?
Liverpool: He's not for sale.
Barcelona: 100 million Euros?
Liverpool: He's not for sale at any price.
Barcelona: 130 million Euros?
Liverpool: Look, which bit of "not for sale at any price" did you not understand?
Barcelona: 150 million Euros?
Liverpool: Doh.
Barcelona: 160 million Euros?
Liverpool: OK.
Barcelona: Of course, when we say 160 million Euros, we really mean 120 million. Plus another 40 million if he wins the Ballon D'Or, the Tour de France, Miss World, and the Nobel Prize for Physics.
Liverpool: Sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't have taken so much, if anything, extra in add-ons. I haven't heard of any add-ons in the Van Dijk deal, £75m, done afaik.:thinking:

Suddenly Mahrez has gone from about £25m to £49m. :rolleyes: :LOL: I'm not sure he is a good buy at £25m. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to have done too much since they won the league imho.

It seems the Virgil Van Dijk transfer is not a simple cash deal. :thinking: I wouldn't have agreed to so little up front.
Southampton only received £17m this January
In bad news for Southampton fans, it’s been reported the Saints only received £17 million for Van Dijk this January.

That means any hopes of a giant splash in the transfer window is hugely unlikely to happen on the south coast.

Saints fans have been told about the structure of the VVD deal as follows:

The club’s initial windfall from their record transfer deal will be less than £17 million.

Although Southampton are guaranteed to receive £70 million for Van Dijk, with a further £4 million due in bonus payments if the Holland defender meets certain performance targets, the way the transfer has been structured means that Liverpool’s payments will be made in three equal instalments over the next three years beginning with a £23.3 million downpayment this month.

Another chunk of the Van Dijk transfer fee – around £6 million – is also due to Celtic regarding their sell-on clause in Van Dijk’s Saints transfer contract.

Also deducted from the VVD fee are payments to agents.

It seems the Virgil Van Dijk transfer is not a simple cash deal. :thinking: I wouldn't have agreed to so little up front.

I find this hard to believe in these days of clubs being awash with TV cash ? “ it’s been reported “ Can you give us a link ?

FFS!!!! As if my hatred for that man was not high enough!!!!! Kim jong and trump look like normal sane people compared to wenger. A disgrace to the club and he needs to be sacked!!!!!

Suddenly Mahrez has gone from about £25m to £49m. :rolleyes: :LOL: I'm not sure he is a good buy at £25m. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to have done too much since they won the league imho.[/QUOTE]

I’m a Leicestershire lad and support (and watch) Leicester city. You say “ I’m not sure he (Mahrez) is a good buy at £25m “ Well you are entitled to your humble opinion but it depends what you want from a player ? If you want someone to crawl off the pitch after 90 mins soaked in sweat and totally knackered ? Mahraz is not your man. If you want someone with ball playing ability above the ‘water carriers’ of the game, someone who can score special goals and unlock a defence. Someone who can show the “beauty” in the “beautiful game” then Mahraz is your man. How can you value a player like Mahraz similar to the journeymen who populate many clubs outside of the ‘big six’ ? He drives us Leicester supporters nuts sometimes but trust me he will probably leave Leicester but for far more than 25m.

FFS!!!! As if my hatred for that man was not high enough!!!!! Kim jong and trump look like normal sane people compared to wenger. A disgrace to the club and he needs to be sacked!!!!!
I have been a great admirer of Wenger as a man manager but he's lost that skill now, none of the current squad seem to give a monkeys.

Suddenly Mahrez has gone from about £25m to £49m. :rolleyes: [emoji38] I'm not sure he is a good buy at £25m. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to have done too much since they won the league imho.

I’m a Leicestershire lad and support (and watch) Leicester city. You say “ I’m not sure he (Mahrez) is a good buy at £25m “ Well you are entitled to your humble opinion but it depends what you want from a player ? If you want someone to crawl off the pitch after 90 mins soaked in sweat and totally knackered ? Mahraz is not your man. If you want someone with ball playing ability above the ‘water carriers’ of the game, someone who can score special goals and unlock a defence. Someone who can show the “beauty” in the “beautiful game” then Mahraz is your man. How can you value a player like Mahraz similar to the journeymen who populate many clubs outside of the ‘big six’ ? He drives us Leicester supporters nuts sometimes but trust me he will probably leave Leicester but for far more than 25m.[/QUOTE]
I think Klopp wants worker's and skill. I don't think Liverpool are set up to 'carry' anyone, though it may not look like it from some of the Midfielder's. ;-)

Mahrez is a very good player, and you obviously see more of him than I do, buy he was brilliant in the league winning season, can't think of much I have good from him since. That no one as even bid for him, afaik, leads me to think there is not a great demand, so I don't see how a potential price is so high. :-/

Mahrez is a very good player, and you obviously see more of him than I do, buy he was brilliant in the league winning season, can't think of much I have good from him since. That no one as even bid for him, afaik, leads me to think there is not a great demand, so I don't see how a potential price is so high. :-/

Well he is playing in a pretty average team (unfortunately)

Roma bid £25m for him last season but Leicester turned it down.

50% of Vardy's goals are set up for him by Mahrez.

2016 African player of the year https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/05/riyad-mahrez-african-player-of-the-year-2016 Mo Salah won it this year ! I'm not suggesting he is worth what Salah is worth but £25m value players do not win this award.

I can totally see why many managers Allardyce/Pulis/etc etc would not want Mahrez, he does not put the 'hard miles' in. Physically he is not up to it. He was told early in his career he was too 'weedy' to be a footballer.

Danny Drinkwater left Leicester for Chelsea for £35m. He did great for us but he was a hard working 'water carrier' could never do things with the ball that Mahrez can.

I hope no-one buys him because Vardy's goals are going to dry up if Mahrez leaves.

He's an embarrassment now. His stubborn nature has ruined his legacy. I wish he'd left 10 years ago.

I thought we (Arsenal) could not be arsed today. Forest were better all over the pitch and deserved their victory

It was a proper cup tie though!

Crikey ! “Hatred” eh ? a well adjusted Arsenal supporter. What vitriol

He's an embarrassment now. His stubborn nature has ruined his legacy. I wish he'd left 10 years ago.

I thought we (Arsenal) could not be arsed today. Forest were better all over the pitch and deserved their victory

It was a proper cup tie though!

That’s it. He should be up there with chapman but for me he has tainted his legacy. If you look closely most of his success came with some or all of the famous back 4, plus berkamp etc... since the CL final defeat it has been one poor signing after another with a few exceptions.

Crikey ! “Hatred” eh ? a well adjusted Arsenal supporter. What vitriol

Are you a gooner? He is ruining this club. Blame must go to those at the top for giving a new contract but he should do the decent thing and go. So out of touch. And he never takes responsibility.

Are you a gooner? He is ruining this club. Blame must go to those at the top for giving a new contract but he should do the decent thing and go. So out of touch. And he never takes responsibility.

No, I’m not a ‘gooner’ and your passion for your club is evident but don’t you think you have lost perspective ? Kim Jong & Trump comparisons really ?
I would agree that his time was up probably at the end of last season but doesn’t his record at Arsenal deserve respect ? Or do Arsenal fans think like Man utd they have a God given right to be successful ?

I would agree that his time was up probably at the end of last season but doesn’t his record at Arsenal deserve respect ? Or do Arsenal fans think like Man utd they have a God given right to be successful ?

His early Arsenal record deserved the upmost respect BUT he should know when he's being overtaken by other teams, and either address the issues, or move on and let someone else have a go.

I've supported Arsenal for 40 years and I and probably 99.9% of Arsenal fans don't think we have a god given right to be successful. Not sure where that came from.

For me, the business model he decided on was the right one (and it was in his early years) has long been surpassed by the billionaires who want to splash their cash. I used to love the history and the character that Arsenal once stood for, but now, they need to either spend big on quality players, or just accept mid table mediocracy each season.

It's the way to try and keep up, but that said, there are only so many great players than can be purchased by all the fat cat clubs

Hey ho, had many, many good days at Highbury, Wembley and all over Europe, but not for me now - way too expensive for the average supporter

Last edited:
I agree the magical back 4 were his springboard to a great time and tbh we haven't had a decent defence for ages, no midfield general of whom our players were more frightened off than the opposition :)
Always the same, 3 or 4 decent players to build a team around but failed to do so, so 2 or 3 years down the line they leave to go to Man City or Chelsea or whomever and it all starts again.
Time he went is now upon Arsenal and time to get a new manager and spend loads to get some good players, maybe a couple of old boys for solidity and experience and a few hungry youngsters, add a few decent 27/29 yr olds and it might work.
I don't think he should be allowed to stay at Arsenal in any sort of technical position, the new manager doesn't need Wenger looking over his shoulder, he should go off and manage a national team, maybe France, it would be a good end to a great managerial career.

No, I’m not a ‘gooner’ and your passion for your club is evident but don’t you think you have lost perspective ? Kim Jong & Trump comparisons really ?

Nothing to do with success. It’s about players giving a damn! The forest 1st goal was a disgrace. If my sons u10 side let that in I would be fuming. Same mistakes week in week out!
What was the point in playing Walcott. Waste of space.

His early Arsenal record deserved the upmost respect BUT he should know when he's being overtaken by other teams, and either address the issues, or move on and let someone else have a go.

I've supported Arsenal for 40 years and I and probably 99.9% of Arsenal fans don't think we have a god given right to be successful. Not sure where that came from.

For me, the business model he decided on was the right one (and it was in his early years) has long been surpassed by the billionaires who want to splash their cash. I used to love the history and the character that Arsenal once stood for, but now, they need to either spend big on quality players, or just accept mid table mediocracy each season.

It's the way to try and keep up, but that said, there are only so many great players than can be purchased by all the fat cat clubs

Hey ho, had many, many good days at Highbury, Wembley and all over Europe, but not for me now - way too expensive for the average supporter

What gets me is the deluded way he thinks we are still a top club. We are not. Just come out and say we are a team aiming for 5/6th and expectations will be realistic. With that in mind no excuse for chucking the fa cup away like we did.

The Soccerex Football Finance 100 ranks the world's top teams based on both their playing and fixed assets, money in the bank, owner potential investment and debt.According to the study, the Gunners have £766million worth of fixed assets - following their move from Highbury to the Emirates Stadium - more than any other club in world football.

Only Manchester United have more money in the bank (£307m) than Arsenal's £300m.

The north London club also have the lowest net debt (£8m) of any other team from England, with Chelsea's £800m recorded as the largest of clubs in the top 100.

However, the money has been lent to the club by its parent company Fordstam - also owned by Roman Abramovich.

The annual report by Soccerex suggests that Arsenal have the monetary muscle to "invest significantly" in the transfer market.

So, what's the excuse, he spends it like it's his own money and he's saving for his retirement, which in my view can't now come too soon.

I'm no expert but it seems the two in front dont trust the goalie to protect his near post, the Forest player would be offside if they moved over towards the line and teh goalie must have a real good view of the ball (not) and why does it take 5 (or is it 6) Arsenal players to mark 2 or is it 3 Forest players whilst ignoring the guy on the penalty spot. Oh I know he's being marked by the keeper as he doesnt need to worry about the near post and only an idiot would send the ball to that Forest player.
Good grief

The Soccerex Football Finance 100 ranks the world's top teams based on both their playing and fixed assets, money in the bank, owner potential investment and debt.According to the study, the Gunners have £766million worth of fixed assets - following their move from Highbury to the Emirates Stadium - more than any other club in world football.

Only Manchester United have more money in the bank (£307m) than Arsenal's £300m.

The north London club also have the lowest net debt (£8m) of any other team from England, with Chelsea's £800m recorded as the largest of clubs in the top 100.

However, the money has been lent to the club by its parent company Fordstam - also owned by Roman Abramovich.

The annual report by Soccerex suggests that Arsenal have the monetary muscle to "invest significantly" in the transfer market.

So, what's the excuse, he spends it like it's his own money and he's saving for his retirement, which in my view can't now come too soon.

Don't worry, its all ok, we have bought a 20yo Greek defender and according to the press not looking at any more Jan deals!!!!

Do you think Wenger has been at Arsenal 4-2 long :D

Love the opening line of the match report in the Independent "If this was not the worst defence of the FA Cup in the modern era, it was in the top one."

Last edited:

2016-2017 season

Premier League earnings table
How they finished Merit (position) + TV TOTAL WINNINGS (including £84.4m each)
1st - CHELSEA £38m + £30.4m £152.8m (1st)
2nd - TOTTENHAM £36.1m + £27.6m £148.1m (Equal 4th)
3rd - MAN CITY £34.2m + £30.4 £149m (2nd)
4th - LIVERPOOL £32.3m + £31.4 £148.1m (Equal 4th)
5th - ARSENAL £30.4m + £27.6m £142.4m (6th)
6th - MAN UNITED £28.5m + £30.4m £143.3m (5th)
7th - EVERTON £26.6m + £21.1 £132.1m (7th)
8th - SOUTHAMPTON £24.7m + £18.2m £127.3m (8th)
9th - BOURNEMOUTH £22.8m + £16.4m £123.6m (9th)
10th - WEST BROM £20.9m + £14.5m £119.8m (12th)
11th - WEST HAM £19m + £18.2m £121.6m (10th)
12th - LEICESTER £17.1m + £19.2m £120.7m (11th)
13th - STOKE CITY £15.2m + 13.8m £113.4m (14th)
14th - CRYSTAL PALACE £13.3m + £17.3m £115m (13th)
15th - SWANSEA £11.4m + £13.6m £109.4m (15th)
16th - BURNLEY £9.5m + £13.6m £107.5 (17th)
17th - WATFORD £7.6m + £16.4m £108.4m (16th)
18th - HULL CITY £5.7m + £13.6m £103.7m (19th)
19th - MIDDLESBROUGH £3.8m + £16.4m £104.6m (18th)
20th - SUNDERLAND £1.9m + £13.6m £99.9m (20th)

Don't worry, its all ok, we have bought a 20yo Greek defender and according to the press not looking at any more Jan deals!!!!
I read that too, no point in buying any new players as (if) the new manager may not like them?

2016-2017 season

Premier League earnings table
How they finished Merit (position) + TV TOTAL WINNINGS (including £84.4m each)
1st - CHELSEA £38m + £30.4m £152.8m (1st)
2nd - TOTTENHAM £36.1m + £27.6m £148.1m (Equal 4th)
3rd - MAN CITY £34.2m + £30.4 £149m (2nd)
4th - LIVERPOOL £32.3m + £31.4 £148.1m (Equal 4th)
5th - ARSENAL £30.4m + £27.6m £142.4m (6th)
6th - MAN UNITED £28.5m + £30.4m £143.3m (5th)
7th - EVERTON £26.6m + £21.1 £132.1m (7th)
8th - SOUTHAMPTON £24.7m + £18.2m £127.3m (8th)
9th - BOURNEMOUTH £22.8m + £16.4m £123.6m (9th)
10th - WEST BROM £20.9m + £14.5m £119.8m (12th)
11th - WEST HAM £19m + £18.2m £121.6m (10th)
12th - LEICESTER £17.1m + £19.2m £120.7m (11th)
13th - STOKE CITY £15.2m + 13.8m £113.4m (14th)
14th - CRYSTAL PALACE £13.3m + £17.3m £115m (13th)
15th - SWANSEA £11.4m + £13.6m £109.4m (15th)
16th - BURNLEY £9.5m + £13.6m £107.5 (17th)
17th - WATFORD £7.6m + £16.4m £108.4m (16th)
18th - HULL CITY £5.7m + £13.6m £103.7m (19th)
19th - MIDDLESBROUGH £3.8m + £16.4m £104.6m (18th)
20th - SUNDERLAND £1.9m + £13.6m £99.9m (20th)

Couldnt even beat Spurs at that either

2016 Arsenal made £3m profit, Spurs made £38m

Although I bet we're a little at a loss this season :D

Well the Arse got dumped out of the FA cup by a club with a better european record than them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back