The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he does not keep sulking for long because the owners may leave him stagnating in the reserves ? What he does in the

Oh I'm with you on that. These players sign contracts agreeing to work for a period and get paid accordingly and the club agree for this time period. Now if it's mutually agreed then a player can move within contracts, otherwise it just makes a mockery, usually with agents getting large fees

Oh I'm with you on that. These players sign contracts agreeing to work for a period and get paid accordingly and the club agree for this time period. Now if it's mutually agreed then a player can move within contracts, otherwise it just makes a mockery, usually with agents getting large fees

Agents are usually the only real winners. I find it hard to believe that they have the best interests of their client at heart, they are in it for themselves. Mhikitarians agent wanted £7M for the "swap" deal, which Arsenal refused to pay, so it was covered by Utd, even though his client wanted to move, the agent held out for a big pay day.

Agents are usually the only real winners. I find it hard to believe that they have the best interests of their client at heart, they are in it for themselves. Mhikitarians agent wanted £7M for the "swap" deal, which Arsenal refused to pay, so it was covered by Utd, even though his client wanted to move, the agent held out for a big pay day.

100% agree with that. Agents 'touting' players around, unsettling them knowing that if they move there is a fat fee coming the agents way.

The error Mahrez/Agent made . . . no buy out clause in his contract. That's why we lost Kante for £30m, an absolute steal.

And let's not forget the £10ml that went to Pogba's agent! They are in it for themselves and nobody else. The more moves their client gets, the more cash they get, i'm sure a lot more than they'd get for helping negotiate a new deal at the same club. I despise agents of the top players. Clubs are held to ransom through these monkey's demands.

Back to Mahrez, I think if you are looking at the current market, he has to be worth around £70ml-£80ml. He's done very well at Leicester, scored a decent amount of goals and got lots of assists. When he's on fire, he's great to watch. He is bedded in to the Premier Leugue so it's not as if Citeh would even have been taking a punt. I personally think the £50ml or so is pocket change to their owners, so they were happy to throw that much at Leicester in the hope that they'd take it. Trouble is, even if Mahrez had ended up at Citeh, he'd be surplus to requirements once Sane and Jesus came back. Some times it's better the devil (club) you know

Last edited:
What IanD said was “ trouble is even if Mahrez had ended up at Citeh “ ( shorthand for Man City)

“ surplus to requirements” Man City have either Aguero or Jesus on the bench when both fit.

Surely not playing every game has to be expected at Man City.

What IanD said was “ trouble is even if Mahrez had ended up at Citeh “ ( shorthand for Man City)

“ surplus to requirements” Man City have either Aguero or Jesus on the bench when both fit.

Surely not playing every game has to be expected at Man City.

he had a quick edit - it did say Leicester :D

Trouble is, even if Mahrez had ended up at Citeh, he'd be surplus to requirements once Sane and Jesus came back. Some times it's better the devil (club) you know
No doubt a lot of them go with the intention of breaking their way into a better team. Some players seem happy enough to sit on a bench as long as the wages are good enough sadly. It would do my head in training and not playing regardless of the wages. At the point these players are in their careers they are already set for life, so after a certain amount of time not playing it is about greed, if it wasn't solely about that from the outset.

The ones that always confuse me are the goalkeepers who go to warm the benches of big clubs like Mark Schwarzer and Michel Vorm. :thinking:

And the ex Man City goalie Cabellero now at Chelsea and just plays the odd cup game.

Do you remember Winston Bogarde- I think he was the first proper rebel, refusing to be sold then saw out the next three years of his Chelsea career training with the young uns and counting his money

Gooners are turning it on tonight. Obviously not the same Arsenal that went to Swansea....

Well that was a great watch last night Liverpool v Spurs.

Re the 1st penalty, why is nobody yelling that Harry Kane dived ? if that was a foreign player (or Jamie Vardy) accusations would by flying and phrases such as 'very' soft' and 'went down very easily' would be rampant. But Harry is an English 'gentleman' of course.

People are going to say Karius 'touched' him ! FFS I think Harry Kane touched Karius.

As for the 2nd penalty well Eric Lamela 'went down very easily' and the penalty was 'very soft'

I know goals are good for the game but are referees under instruction to help whenever possible ?

Disclaimer: I do not support either team.

Re the 1st penalty, why is nobody yelling that Harry Kane dived ? if that was a foreign player (or Jamie Vardy) accusations would by flying and phrases such as 'very' soft' and 'went down very easily' would be rampant. But Harry is an English 'gentleman' of course.

People are going to say Karius 'touched' him ! FFS I think Harry Kane touched Karius.

As for the 2nd penalty well Eric Lamela 'went down very easily' and the penalty was 'very soft'

I know goals are good for the game but are referees under instruction to help whenever possible ?

Have to agree, both penalties were very soft, and Kane was offside for the first anyway.

I noticed that Dele Ali was showing off what he does best... Why? If he had stayed on his feet he would likely scored, now he has yet another yellow card for "simulation".

Mo Salah, what a buy he is... Just shows that Moanio doesn't get the best out of his players. 2 of the best in the league right now went backwards under him at Chelski (Salah & De Brunye).

Last edited:
Have to agree, both penalties were very soft, and Kane was offside for the first anyway.

I noticed that Dele Ali was showing off what he does best... Why? If he had stayed on his feet he would likely scored, now he has yet another yellow card for "simulation".

Mo Salah, what a buy he is... Just shows that Moanio doesn't get the best out of his players. 2 of the best in the league right now went backwards under him at Chelski (Salah & De Brunye).

Jelster I think you are a 'Gooner' so you are gooner :) be anti Spurs whatever I guess ? but it doesn't make you wrong . . . . . this time.

" Just shows that Moanio doesn't get the best out of his players. 2 of the best in the league right now went backwards under him at Chelski (Salah & De Brunye).[/QUOTE]

Read what I said on page 5.

I heard a couple of ex-pro's on Talk Sport discussing the Mahrez situation, to which they agreed there is a simple answer. Give him a new contract worth an extra £25k/week and let him go in the summer, they'll get the money back on his price. That way he is motivated and he's back in the team which works for both parties.

As was said earlier, not having a release clause was a major blunder really.

Disclaimer: I support spurs and watched the game in a pub full of Liverpool supporters

trouble with the penalty shouts is they take away from Wanyama's goal, possibly goal of the season...
Sky sports ref after the game said both were penalties, but their replays from many angles were non existent, poor coverage.

First penalty - thought Kane clipped the keepers shoulder but also said at the time it was soft. The ball came off a Liverpool player but I think kane was offside as that came through - need to see it from along the line as the ball is played.
Second penalty again from the angles, Lamela put his body in the way and was bundled over on one angle, looked soft on another.

Shame about the first goal we gave away, Sanchez gave the ball away too much yesterday, too casual at times, otherwise about evens first half. Second half I think Spurs dominated, Salah though is quality, always a dangerous outlet for the ball upfield.

Still as I said down the pub, £75m for a defender and the linesman was probably a cheaper buy :D

I heard a couple of ex-pro's on Talk Sport discussing the Mahrez situation, to which they agreed there is a simple answer. Give him a new contract worth an extra £25k/week and let him go in the summer, they'll get the money back on his price. That way he is motivated and he's back in the team which works for both parties.

As was said earlier, not having a release clause was a major blunder really.

Blimey ! I can see that doing a lot for squad harmony ? make him the highest paid player at the club because he's thrown a strop.

Ex-pro's eh ? see what heading that football repeatedly does to your brain ? :(

Disclaimer: I support spurs and watched the game in a pub full of Liverpool supporters

trouble with the penalty shouts is they take away from Wanyama's goal, possibly goal of the season...
Sky sports ref after the game said both were penalties, but their replays from many angles were non existent, poor coverage.

First penalty - thought Kane clipped the keepers shoulder but also said at the time it was soft. The ball came off a Liverpool player but I think kane was offside as that came through - need to see it from along the line as the ball is played.
Second penalty again from the angles, Lamela put his body in the way and was bundled over on one angle, looked soft on another.

Shame about the first goal we gave away, Sanchez gave the ball away too much yesterday, too casual at times, otherwise about evens first half. Second half I think Spurs dominated, Salah though is quality, always a dangerous outlet for the ball upfield.

Still as I said down the pub, £75m for a defender and the linesman was probably a cheaper buy :D

Have to agree about Wanyama's goal, hit it well & good "pick that one out" as they say...... Kane was definitely offside, but after Aubamayang's goal against Everton, I can't complain....

Talk about a game of two halves. :eek:

Could have something to do with it. :confused: It is always the same with the media, if a non British player does it is is cheating, a British player doing it is just playing the game. :rolleyes: It sometimes depends on which British player does it of course, but Harry Kane is the Golden Boy. ;) As the media is increasingly permeated by younger players, the cynicism and and cheating ways are starting to be seen as OK. :(

There seemed to be some dodgy communication between the Ref, the Linesman and the 4th Official with regards to the 4th Official being asked to check the TV, which he shouldn't do under the current rules.

Former Premier League Ref Mark Clattenburg has said both Spurs goals shouldn't have stood.

Two great goals by Wanyama and Saleh. The Wanyama goal was very surprising considering how often he seems to score. 63mph. :eek: Saleh continues to surprise me almost every week, and I didn't think he had that type of goal in him. :eek: Long may he keep scoring like this. :)

After all the other things that happened in the game the Dele Alli deliberately diving, and thankfully being punished for doing it, gets no mention after the game. :( :rolleyes: But then he is British. :rolleyes:

So Harry says “ I felt contact and I went down “ ?

Not, he caught me and I couldn’t keep my feet.

So he dived, he is admitting he dived ? Or is every time a player is touched (feels contact) he throws himself on the floor and it is a foul, or a penalty in the box.

Ridiculous, it is a contact sport.

So Harry says “ I felt contact and I went down “ ?

Not, he caught me and I couldn’t keep my feet.

So he dived, he is admitting he dived ? Or is every time a player is touched (feels contact) he throws himself on the floor and it is a foul, or a penalty in the box.
Seems to be OK, and even encouraged by some pundits. Usually former forwards. ;) :(

I can honestly say that in all the years when I played football I only went to ground when physically forced to. That it seems, is no longer the way to play the game. :(

Seems to be OK, and even encouraged by some pundits. Usually former forwards. ;) :(

I can honestly say that in all the years when I played football I only went to ground when physically forced to. That it seems, is no longer the way to play the game. :(
Absolutely. It's utterly ridiculous. It seems to be widely accepted that if there is any contact whatsoever in the box, the attacker is entitled to go down. I can't believe there's one single fan out there who believes that's right. The sooner that notion is got rid of, the better.

Absolutely. It's utterly ridiculous. It seems to be widely accepted that if there is any contact whatsoever in the box, the attacker is entitled to go down. I can't believe there's one single fan out there who believes that's right. The sooner that notion is got rid of, the better.

You cannot believe that there is a single Spurs fan who believes Harry Kane was right to go down ? I guess if you had said “ a single neutral fan “ I could believe that you had thought that through. However I completely accept the tone of your post.

You cannot believe that there is a single Spurs fan who believes Harry Kane was right to go down ?
I cannot believe there is a single Spurs fan who believes Harry Kane was right to go down, and who would also believe that Raheem Sterling or Leroy Sane (say) would be right to go down in similar circumstances against Spurs.

Is that the end for Conte? 0-3 at home to Bournemouth and then 1-4 at Watford? I reckon Abramovich will be looking for his head on a platter.

Is that the end for Conte? 0-3 at home to Bournemouth and then 1-4 at Watford? I reckon Abramovich will be looking for his head on a platter.

"You're getting sacked in the morning" was being sung no doubt. Talk about dead man walking....

"You're getting sacked in the morning" was being sung no doubt. Talk about dead man walking....

Yes, but smart enough to turn the Italy job down, so Chelsea will have to honour his contract and pay him :)

That's the way it used to be. And we tried never to show pain when we got 'crunched' rub your bruises when no-one is looking. Be a man, show no pain.

I remember when footballers used to wear shin pads on the front and the BACK of their legs, took the underground to the match and had a manly handshake to celebrate a goal.
Dont get me started on spitting (and I see that is creeping into Rugby, albeit at the floor as opposed to other players).
A wet ball would only be headed as an absolute last desperate resort, didnt need any Drs to tell us it caused brain damage back then. :)

The footballs of 50 years ago are very different from the ones used today. Modern balls are much lighter and made from synthetic materials rather than leather. I used to hate "proper" footballs when I was a kid. Mind you, we used to tackle properly and get back up and carry on, not roll around on the floor. You even see kids doing it now.

lets just look at your recent signings...

DVrsVCUXUAMuGuK.jpg

:D

Saw that on Saturday night. Did make me chuckle. We (Arsenal) were crap in the second half. How can they be in the game in the first and then come back out and be so bad.

We really are the gift that keeps on giving.

Hey ho, if we're lucky, then we'll get another season of Europa League next season.

Interesting tactics by Wenger I thought to pack the midfield/central part of the pitch and then leave us the width. Dangerous with the crossign of Davis and Trippier and we should have punished them more,

Apparently the handbags at the end from wiltshire was he called Lamella a dirty b*****d after his foul, and Lamela told him to "f*** off you pussy". Looks like Erics english is getting much better :D

Sums up how bad Spurs are... I mean only able to score one goal against a cardboard cut-out defence, and average keeper, and a manager with no tactical nous!!!!

Sums up how bad Spurs are... I mean only able to score one goal against a cardboard cut-out defence, and average keeper, and a manager with no tactical nous!!!!

I suppose that's solace of some sort. Oh it hurts so much to get beaten by Spurs and I see the next match is against City, so another 3 points down the drain unless they do some intensive training before now and then.

While the Spurs and Arsenal fans are taking over this thread, here's a question for you. I heard this on Talk Sport the other day.

Suppose it's the last day of the season. Your team [Spurs/Arsenal] is in 5th place. In order to finish 4th, you need the team above you to be beaten. But they're playing your rivals [Arsenal/Spurs], and if your rivals win they they will be champions. So what do you want to happen? Do you want your team to get the Champions League qualification place, even if it means your rivals win the league? Or would you prefer for your rivals to lose, even if that means you miss out on the Champions League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back