The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Spurs and Arsenal fans are taking over this thread, here's a question for you. I heard this on Talk Sport the other day.

Suppose it's the last day of the season. Your team [Spurs/Arsenal] is in 5th place. In order to finish 4th, you need the team above you to be beaten. But they're playing your rivals [Arsenal/Spurs], and if your rivals win they they will be champions. So what do you want to happen? Do you want your team to get the Champions League qualification place, even if it means your rivals win the league? Or would you prefer for your rivals to lose, even if that means you miss out on the Champions League?

Didn’t somelthing similar happen in 99? No CL spot but spurs fans cheering Man U in last game who they were playing to stop arsena winning the league.

I would be happy for my rival to win league if it meant my team hit their goal.

That's exactly what the bloke on Talk Sport said. I couldn't believe the amount of abuse he copped for it.

I was born in London and would always support a London team over any other be it Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham or even Millwall :)

I dislike City and Pep so much I would be happy if Spurs beat them to the title!

Do we think the 'West Brom curse' will strike tonight? ;)

Six managers have lost their jobs after playing West Brom in recent years, and that includes two previous Chel$ki managers! :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:

It was nice to see Moanhino a bit gracious in defeat for a change over the weekend. :)

I think if the Newcastle players put that much effort in every week their fans would be very happy. All they ask is the players give 100%, and care a fraction as much as they do.

Rivals to lose all day long. doesn't even need thinking about. And then serve 'em up Lasagne and laugh like drains

Sums up how bad Spurs are... I mean only able to score one goal against a cardboard cut-out defence, and average keeper, and a manager with no tactical nous!!!!
That average keeper (that I agree with by the way) had an outstanding game and stopped it being a rout. Sods law.

Didn’t somelthing similar happen in 99? No CL spot but spurs fans cheering Man U in last game who they were playing to stop arsena winning the league.

I cheer for the british team abroad, even the arse. There were times you admired their football, certainly their new stadium, we just need to learn their lessons and not let it ruin our finances. Couldn't afford 12m for evans, how the mighty have fallen.
With Wenger about to go, it does seem this season they are looking back to past glories rather than forward

Last edited:
Meanwhile I see that Daniel Sturridge lasted for precisely 3 minutes last night before he did his hamstring in. Has there ever been a more injury-prone player?

Cazorla's injury has been long term with an issue in scar tissue within the Achilles, Diaby, Sturridge, Welbeck, Walcott etc have had many different injuries, not one that reoccurs. Wilshire is another one, who has a bone issue with one of his ankles, the rest of him is pretty fit...

Why are there so many Arsenal players in that list?

Cazorla's injury has been long term with an issue in scar tissue within the Achilles, Diaby, Sturridge, Welbeck, Walcott etc have had many different injuries, not one that reoccurs. Wilshire is another one, who has a bone issue with one of his ankles, the rest of him is pretty fit...

Why are there so many Arsenal players in that list?
Quite a few people have asked that question, training, physio, who knows.

Quite a few people have asked that question, training, physio, who knows.

I think in the last year or so, they've changed some of the medical team. I don't think there are as many long term injuries now days, but the 'original' ones don't ever seem to recover enough to play consistently again.

Cazorla is sorely missed, as he's probably the most gifted player we've had there since Bergkamp. He has such quick feet, both left and right. If they could ever get him back to fitness (I read that he is being let go in the summer though), he would still have a few years left to show his skills once again

Sturridge is generally one of the saddest cases, for English football. He is one of the most gifted and clinical finishers in the modern era. It's a loss to football in general that he cannot stay fit

I think all you ‘gooners’ should have your own football thread so the rest of us do not have to listen to the gnashing of teeth and the wailing ‘wall of sound’

God help us if they were in any danger of being relegated. ;):LOL:

Through all our troubles, we just have to remember, we are "The Arsenal", and that will never happen (no matter how much Wenger tries!)

Even when Arsenal were relegated they weren't, ask any Spurs fan, assuming they know their history :)

BBC commetary on the Man City game was classic. If Basel get smashed any more they’ll become pesto..

67% possession to spurs, 70% in the first half

Tottenham are the first team to overturn a two-goal deficit at the Allianz Stadium since Juventus moved there in 2011.

Before Harry Kane's goal, Gianluigi Buffon had not conceded a goal for 694 consecutive minutes for Juventus and Italy (last conceding against Sweden in November).

Kane has equalled the record for the most goals scored by an English player in a single Champions League season (seven), level with Steven Gerrard in 2008-09], scoring nine goals in nine Champions League appearances - the most of any player after nine games.

Dele Alli has provided 19 assists for Kane for club and country.

Last edited:
Tottenham are the first team to overturn a two-goal deficit at the Allianz Stadium since Juventus moved there in 2011.

Before Harry Kane's goal, Gianluigi Buffon had not conceded a goal for 694 consecutive minutes for Juventus and Italy (last conceding against Sweden in November).
Spurs achievement was even more impressive that that!

I heard an amazing stat on the radio last night. I only caught the first 10 minutes of the game in the car, by which time it was 2-0 obviously. After about 5 minutes the commentator said that Juve had only conceded 1 goal in their last 16 games, and therefore "a 1-0 lead is a BIG lead". I thought that couldn't possibly be right, so I checked. It is right. Amazing.

22nd Nov - 0-0 vs Barcelona (Champions League)
26th Nov - 3–0 vs Crotone (Serie A)
1st Dec - 1-0 at Napoli (Serie A)
5th Dec - 2-0 at Olympiakos (Champions League)
9th Dec - 0–0 vs Internazionale (Serie A)
17th Dec - 3-0 at Bologna (Serie A)
20th Dec - 2-0 vs Genoa (Coppa Italia)
23rd Dec - 1–0 vs Roma (Serie A)
30th Dec - 3-1 at Hellas Verona (Serie A)
3rd Jan - 2-0 vs Torino (Coppa Italia)
6th Jan - 1-0 at Cagliari (Serie A)
22nd Jan - 1–0 vs Genoa (Serie A)
27th Jan - 2-0 at Chievo (Serie A)
30th Jan - 1-0 at Atalanta (Coppa Italia)
4th Feb - 7–0 vs Sassuolo (Serie A)
9th Feb - 2-0 at Fiorentina (Serie A)

Spurs achievement was even more impressive that that!

I heard an amazing stat on the radio last night. I only caught the first 10 minutes of the game in the car, by which time it was 2-0 obviously. After about 5 minutes the commentator said that Juve had only conceded 1 goal in their last 16 games, and therefore "a 1-0 lead is a BIG lead". I thought that couldn't possibly be right, so I checked. It is right. Amazing.

Just like the old Arsenal - 1-0 is all they needed (except in 89 when they went to Anfield) :D

I just listened to Talk Sport in the car, and something they said made a very good point. Juve will not win the Champions League because they are too defensive. Teams like City, Barcelona, Madrid, and Spurs to some extent, are all focused on winning both home & away, where Italian football, even in this day & age is still all about defending. Italian teams have always been hard to beat, but in the last few years you can see that the Champions League has always gone to a team with an great forward line.

It was a great result, but an even better display by Spurs. :clap: As has been pointed out, Juventus is not an easy place to go and get a result, but they were positive and confident throughout. If the they play every CL game like that they will be hard to beat. Especially when they always have Kane ready to put chances away.

How would Arsenal fans feel about them winning the Champions League! ;) :LOL: It would be a hell of a 'first Trophy' for them to win. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Through all our troubles, we just have to remember, we are "The Arsenal", and that will never happen (no matter how much Wenger tries!)

I would never say never. There are bigger teams than Arsenal who have been relegated. ;) It only takes one of these owners to walk away and not sell like Blackburn. Look what happened to Rangers in Scotland. Look what happened to Juventus in Italy. Apparently Liverpool one day away from going bust with the previous owners. :eek: No team is too big to fail imho. :rolleyes:

Btw, I hope Liverpool never get relegated, as they have have been in the top division for all of my life. So far. ;) :LOL:

I would never say never. There are bigger teams than Arsenal who have been relegated. ;) It only takes one of these owners to walk away and not sell like Blackburn. Look what happened to Rangers in Scotland. Look what happened to Juventus in Italy. Apparently Liverpool one day away from going bust with the previous owners. :eek: No team is too big to fail imho. :rolleyes:

Btw, I hope Liverpool never get relegated, as they have have been in the top division for all of my life. So far. ;) :LOL:

Arsenal were relegated once, in 1912, coming back into the top tier in 1918, and have never been lower than 19th in a 22 team league. They are one of the 6 original PL clubs never to go down (Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd & Spurs). With the rich/poor divide even in the top tier, I can't see it happening in my lifetime (or that of any of the others except Everton).

This is an interesting read...

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...pped-by-manchester-uniteds-consistency090802/

Last edited:
Arsenal were relegated once, in 1912, coming back into the top tier in 1918, and have never been lower than 19th in a 22 team league. They are one of the 6 original PL clubs never to go down (Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd & Spurs). With the rich/poor divide even in the top tier, I can't see it happening in my lifetime (or that of any of the others except Everton).

This is an interesting read...

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...pped-by-manchester-uniteds-consistency090802/
What's the saying, past performance is no guarantee of future success. ;)

Thanks for the link. It was indeed interesting. :) Good to see an article that doesn't think football started with the Premier League. ;) :rolleyes:

Not knowing much about their history, for probably obvious reasons, ;) I didn't know that Everton had been in the 2nd Division. :eek: I thought they had always been in the top division. I'm sure I was told that by someone when I was a kid, and pre internet. :thinking: :LOL:

WRT post #280, although I'm not a football fan, I would always rather see a good contest fall to an opposing team than see my favoured side win by a huge margin. Even when playing games (I'm a better than average Backgammon player in a few variants), I'd rather play a good game and lose than win by loads of points, although such a win can (in Backgammon) be down to an extreme run of bad luck!

I always liked Peter Cook's idea - bet on the opposition so if they beat your team (or individual) you still have reason to feel good!

Great result by Liverpool last night at a difficult place to go. :clap:

Salah continues to impress. :eek: The way he took his goal shows he is in the form of his life. He seemed to be in so much control, and seemed to not be rushing, which I think you comes when you are in 'the zone'. The great players stay in that zone for many years. ;) 30 goals in 36 is unbelievable, essentially from a winger. :)

Mane got a hat-trick, but I still don't think he is playing well, and hasn't been for months imho. :thinking: Robertson hardly put a foot wrong again, and so far deserves to be there for many years. :D

But it was great team performance. :)

Good week in the Champions League, let's see if the Europa League can continue the positivity. :)

Btw, I'm not keen on the split weeks for the games. :( :rolleyes:

I thought Liverpool were brilliant the other night, and a lot of it goes down to Klopp and the way he has got them playing. Arsenal should have grabbed him when they had the chance, at least he's built a defence as well!!

I thought Liverpool were brilliant the other night, and a lot of it goes down to Klopp and the way he has got them playing. Arsenal should have grabbed him when they had the chance, at least he's built a defence as well!!
They played great, against a side who were not used to losing. I think it is a bit too early to claim a great defence. ;)

I'm not sure if Arsenal had a chance to get Klopp. It sounds in the interviews I have seen with him that Liverpool were the team for him. I think he was sincere, unlike some. ;) :rolleyes: I can't think of who could replace him. I hope he stays a long time.

I'm sure all the Arsenal fans will be back praising their team today. ;)

Last edited:
Oh goodness, what a joke VAR is turning out to be.

19638-1518947973-f2f91edd9daeccebc4d523bb0e6a560e.jpg

I understand this is not the actual view used by the VAR official to make the offside call. But then why show this to the watching public?

To be fair, ignoring the projected lines (which I'll agree are a mockery!), the player in red looks offside to me.

To be fair, ignoring the projected lines (which I'll agree are a mockery!), the player in red looks offside to me.
To be fair, when the BBC showed a proper analysis, he was offside, barely, probably. (It was very close.) But my point is that the projected lines, which are what they showed on TV during the game, undermine the credibility of the whole thing.

Oh goodness, what a joke VAR is turning out to be.

19638-1518947973-f2f91edd9daeccebc4d523bb0e6a560e.jpg

I understand this is not the actual view used by the VAR official to make the offside call. But then why show this to the watching public?
Totally agree. The lines should be straight for a start. I don't understand why there is not a straight line shown, I mean why does it exist. :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back