The Football Thread - Season 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm, looks like Arsenal fans only want to share the bad times. :thinking: :rolleyes: :LOL:

Same for a lot of fans these day. On a QPR forum I'm a member of, it's always busiest when they lose. When they win....:tumbleweed:

Wigan manager Paul Cook, talking a couple of days ago about his team's FA Cup match:

“Whatever you try and do to them – Man City have a way of finding a way to do whatever they want to teams in games.... For us, it’s how many minutes in the game can we make it uncomfortable for them. That’s the big challenge for us."

Turns out that the last 11 minutes were pretty uncomfortable. Well played Wigan!

Wigan manager Paul Cook, talking a couple of days ago about his team's FA Cup match:

“Whatever you try and do to them – Man City have a way of finding a way to do whatever they want to teams in games.... For us, it’s how many minutes in the game can we make it uncomfortable for them. That’s the big challenge for us."

Turns out that the last 11 minutes were pretty uncomfortable. Well played Wigan!

It was only 7-1 for a Wigan win, which I thought was a bit stingy, but then maybe the bookies aren't so stupid. Well done Wigan. :clap:

I was at school with Paul Cook. Didn't know him that well, but played a few footy games with him. That was 35 years ago, but a bit of pride that a local lad done well in a big game. ;) :D

Mmm, looks like Arsenal fans only want to share the bad times. :thinking: :rolleyes: :LOL:

Nope, not at all, just haven't had that much to shout about. I mean 3-0 against what is at best, a Div 1 team, we should have done better. Looking forward to the return game as I haven't been to the Emirates since before Xmas.

Big hand to Wigan tonight, looked like the red card was marginal, but the guy certainly took his goal well. You never know, we may just have a chance against City at Wembley this weekend...

Nope, not at all, just haven't had that much to shout about. I mean 3-0 against what is at best, a Div 1 team, we should have done better. Looking forward to the return game as I haven't been to the Emirates since before Xmas.

Big hand to Wigan tonight, looked like the red card was marginal, but the guy certainly took his goal well. You never know, we may just have a chance against City at Wembley this weekend...
I don't mean to shout out like it was the best result ever, just acknowledge something positive when happens. I keep saying Arsenal fans, at least on here, from what they post, you would think they were battling relegation. There are probably 85 teams who give their right arm to be in their position, and maybe 88 clubs who would have like to win just one of the cups they have won over the last 10 years. Not many clubs win anything.

After the results of Spurs and Cit€h, but even before those, a win is win, especially in a cup competition, when normal form and levels can go out of the window as those two teams can testify. Celebrate the wins, whoever it is against. Just my opinion of course. ;-)

After the success Liverpool had when I was growing up, and the relative lean times, and even famine in the league, I relish any win, because after having virtually guaranteed successes for many years, and not having it, I know what I prefer. ;-) And I appreciate any Cups we may thankfully have won, not something Arsenal fans seem to do imho. :-/

3 FA Cups in 4 years was a great experience, 6 trips to Wembley with 6 wins does help put the disappointment of the league behind us. What I don't think you understand is, it's not the not winning the league that's upsetting, it's the fact that we don't even challenge for it, quite often being more than 10 points off top spot.

The football is so inconsistent. We have a poor defence, we don't strengthen in the right places, and we buy players and don't play them. It's just frustrating being a fan of a club that is on a downward curve, when we have had so much success 20 years ago. But then you, being a Liverpool fan, must understand that ;)

Great result for wigan last night, some strange referee decisions, almost like he knew he'd made a mistake with the red then other tackles by wigan attracted a yellow. I did think some city players were trying to level the playing field.

3 FA Cups in 4 years was a great experience, 6 trips to Wembley with 6 wins does help put the disappointment of the league behind us. What I don't think you understand is, it's not the not winning the league that's upsetting, it's the fact that we don't even challenge for it, quite often being more than 10 points off top spot.

The football is so inconsistent. We have a poor defence, we don't strengthen in the right places, and we buy players and don't play them. It's just frustrating being a fan of a club that is on a downward curve, when we have had so much success 20 years ago. But then you, being a Liverpool fan, must understand that ;)
The thing is, the cups don't seem to put the disappointment of the league placings behind you all. Yes, you may not have been as close to winning as you may have wanted to, but they have been in the top four for many years, which is a consistently high level year after year. Offer that to fans of most teams and they would bite your arm off. Add in some cup successes, and they would explode. :eek: :LOL:

If the focus is on the league and you don't enjoy any other successes, then you are in for many years of disappointment as an Arsenal fan, and basically a fan of any other team than Chel$ki, Cit€h or Man Utd, because anyone other than those teams don't have the finances to challenge consistently imho.

Leicester winning was an amazing aberration which coincided many of the top teams having slightly off seasons by their normal standards. Fans of most teams would be ecstatic with a win in a cup, and especially the FA Cup, but it doesn't seem to mean much to Arsenal fans. :rolleyes: I want Liverpool to win everything they enter, and am disappointed when they sometimes put 'weakened' teams out for certain games in cup competitions. And I enjoy every win. ;) :D

I had great pleasure of passing on a stat I heard yesterday to an Everton fan I know, that Liverpool had scored more goals in 9 Champions League games than Everton had in 27 league games. :eek: :LOL: Btw, that was told to the same person who bet me Everton were going to win the league because he got carried away that they had spent some money over the Summer. :ROFLMAO: Now that is a blinkered view of their team and reality at its best. ;)

The thing is, the cups don't seem to put the disappointment of the league placings behind you all. Yes, you may not have been as close to winning as you may have wanted to, but they have been in the top four for many years, which is a consistently high level year after year. Offer that to fans of most teams and they would bite your arm off. Add in some cup successes, and they would explode. :eek: :LOL:

If the focus is on the league and you don't enjoy any other successes, then you are in for many years of disappointment as an Arsenal fan, and basically a fan of any other team than Chel$ki, Cit€h or Man Utd, because anyone other than those teams don't have the finances to challenge consistently imho.

Leicester winning was an amazing aberration which coincided many of the top teams having slightly off seasons by their normal standards. Fans of most teams would be ecstatic with a win in a cup, and especially the FA Cup, but it doesn't seem to mean much to Arsenal fans. :rolleyes: I want Liverpool to win everything they enter, and am disappointed when they sometimes put 'weakened' teams out for certain games in cup competitions. And I enjoy every win. ;) :D

I had great pleasure of passing on a stat I heard yesterday to an Everton fan I know, that Liverpool had scored more goals in 9 Champions League games than Everton had in 27 league games. :eek: :LOL: Btw, that was told to the same person who bet me Everton were going to win the league because he got carried away that they had spent some money over the Summer. :ROFLMAO: Now that is a blinkered view of their team and reality at its best. ;)

Its because we are obviously on the decline. A half decent manager would have won the league with Arsenal a few times in the last 10 years, we have finished top 4 despite Wenger. Same old mistakes being made week after week is infuriating.

See Pep has managed to bribe the FA now (as well as UEFA) - how Aguero was not punished further... must be that big brown envelope!

Its because we are obviously on the decline. A half decent manager would have won the league with Arsenal a few times in the last 10 years, we have finished top 4 despite Wenger. Same old mistakes being made week after week is infuriating.

If Arsenal are in decline, and the signs don't look good, then you would think that any successes, being less frequent, would be enjoyed. :thinking:

Chel$ki could have done without giving Barca an away goal tonight, but at least they know they can score against them anyway.

Like I said, it's not the not winning, it's the not trying that's hard to take.

Even I was flabbergasted at that inept display last night. Beaten, at home, by the equivalent of Div 1 side. No backbone, no focus, no idea. So many poor performances last night, even Wilshire, the team looked like they couldn't give a s*** about the result.

Iwobi is a headless chicken, Welbeck couldn't hit a barn door, Chambers is so slow, it was painful to watch....

Big clear out in the summer I reckon.

It's not been a good couple of weeks has it. I mean journalists must have other adjectives they could use:
Arsenal's dismal loss at Bournemouth
Swansea 3-1 Arsenal: Dismal Gunners short on ideas and inspiration
Dismal Arsenal limp through in Europa League

I mean they could have used abysmal, depressing, miserable, inauspicious, atrocious, :D

Even I was flabbergasted at that inept display last night. Beaten, at home, by the equivalent of Div 1 side. No backbone, no focus, no idea. So many poor performances last night, even Wilshire, the team looked like they couldn't give a s*** about the result.

Iwobi is a headless chicken, Welbeck couldn't hit a barn door, Chambers is so slow, it was painful to watch....

Big clear out in the summer I reckon.

You really don't know what your talking about... Headless chickens have far more ability than Iwobi and Welbeck could hit a barn door (if it was 100ft wide x 100 feet high!):p

You really don't know what your talking about... Headless chickens have far more ability than Iwobi and Welbeck could hit a barn door (if it was 100ft wide x 100 feet high!):p
Oh be fair Henry couldnt hit a barn door when he arrived and he turned out OK :)

Took him 6 games, not 3 years.... You cannot even think of having the two in the same sentence.
Tongue in cheek. Not in the same League.

It was a great result for Liverpool yesterday. Normally a team from the bottom can trip them up. :-/ lol

I'm hoping that could be a pivotal game for them, because everyone seemed relaxed, at a high level and seemed to start to manage the game. Klopp looks to be able change many of the team, bar the front three, ;-) and that is only because the forward players are only coming as subs, rather that starting a number of games, ànd keep a good level, which is what you want from a squad.

Time will tell of course if it was more than just a good win, but it felt different. :)

Any decent boss would sub Mustafi now, my 9yo would have been stronger than that. Wenger OUT!!

FFS!
Matt

Any decent boss would sub Mustafi now, my 9yo would have been stronger than that. Wenger OUT!!

That was so bloody awful, what did that pillock think he was doing?

I switched off at that point as I knew we would lose at least a couple more.

Did a fire alarm go off at the Arsenal end? It looked empty from 80 mins

Ospina completed more passes than Ozil, Ramsey and Wilshere and the arse have now lost at wembley as many times as Spurs this season

Sky were running this image yesterday - someone told him Wenger signed a new contract... :D
J03ZlF6u.jpg

We got there by success, not renting the place...

Mind the gap :D

I must admit I was expecting arse to get blocked with asterix's and forgive the tone, but after years and years of flak it's nice to repeat it all back...

Mind the gap :D

I must admit I was expecting arse to get blocked with asterix's and forgive the tone, but after years and years of flak it's nice to repeat it all back...

Years? Decades..... Like I like to remind you Spuds, I'm 56 and never seen you win the league. Arsenal have had 6 in that time, so I can put up with it for a couple of years...

Last edited:
Years? Decades..... Like I like to remind you Spuds, I'm 56 and never seen you win the league. Arsenal have had 6 in that time, so I can put up with it for a couple of years...

But spurs did finish 3rd in a 2 horse race the other year, that’s one achievement we don’t have!!

But spurs did finish 3rd in a 2 horse race the other year, that’s one achievement we don’t have!!

They finished 4th and failed to qualify for the Champions League too (Chelski won it and took the 4th spot)....

6-1 spurs last night, VAR and the ref were a joke.

VAR took 2 mins to make decisions over everything, game stops noone knew what was going on. A disallowed goal that shouldn't have been, Son taking a strange penalty and getting booked for it (and scoring but disallowed), then in heavy snow, the ref tried to use his white foam spray for a free kick!

8 minutes of VAR in the first half, but 5 mins of extra time.

There was times you couldn't see the yellow ball as it picked up the snow,you were just watch these trails appear...

Good job spurs just got on with it and scored goals in the second half although Lorente getting man of the match was wrong. I thought Trippier was brilliant the whole game.

Very strange game

I should also add the commentary was awful. Kyle walker-Peters was called Danny Rose three times

Last edited:
Rochdale brought on their 16 year old player, what an experience for him, playing at Wembley. However due to child protection legislation he wasn't allowed to get changed in the main changing room with his team mates!

Rochdale brought on their 16 year old player, what an experience for him, playing at Wembley. However due to child protection legislation he wasn't allowed to get changed in the main changing room with his team mates!

You couldn't make it up!!!

6-1 spurs last night, VAR and the ref were a joke.

VAR took 2 mins to make decisions over everything, game stops noone knew what was going on. A disallowed goal that shouldn't have been, Son taking a strange penalty and getting booked for it (and scoring but disallowed), then in heavy snow, the ref tried to use his white foam spray for a free kick!

8 minutes of VAR in the first half, but 5 mins of extra time.

There was times you couldn't see the yellow ball as it picked up the snow,you were just watch these trails appear...

Good job spurs just got on with it and scored goals in the second half although Lorente getting man of the match was wrong. I thought Trippier was brilliant the whole game.

Very strange game

I should also add the commentary was awful. Kyle walker-Peters was called Danny Rose three times

Was Dele Alli ok? He struggles to keep his feet at the best of times so worried about him in snow and ice?

Was Dele Alli ok? He struggles to keep his feet at the best of times so worried about him in snow and ice?
Thanks for your concern. He was fine, despite rochdale players trying to wind him up. Wiltshire's the new angry boy of the league isn't he?

I thought there was little leeway by the ref last night, considering the decisions. Fouls given both ways when players were at times sliding or having trouble stopping.

Anyone see the Debate on Sky last night? Stuart Pearce is an absolute tool, basically saying its not Wengers fault and it should be down to him to decide when to leave!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back