The Football Thread - Season 2018/2019

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I see Wilshire has signed for the Hammers. Typical footballer, for years he told us he used to watch Arsenal at Highbury and he was a Gooner through & through.... However it turns out he used to go to Upton Park and watch West Ham, as he's always been a Hammers fan...... My respect for him is draining even further.

I see Wilshire has signed for the Hammers. Typical footballer, for years he told us he used to watch Arsenal at Highbury and he was a Gooner through & through.... However it turns out he used to go to Upton Park and watch West Ham, as he's always been a Hammers fan...... My respect for him is draining even further.
:rolleyes:

How many games do you think he will be fit for! ;) When will there be off field bother! :LOL:

Liverpool were linked with him at one point and I thought please no. :eek: :LOL:

Big mistake, he was one of the few that gave a damn last season and had a reasonable fitness record that year. Would have been good to see the new guy give him a chance - good signing for the hammers

Big mistake, he was one of the few that gave a damn last season and had a reasonable fitness record that year. Would have been good to see the new guy give him a chance - good signing for the hammers

He had a chance Simon, Emery asked him to stay and fight for a place, but the contract offered was less "basic" than he was on. However, if he stayed fit and played, his bonuses were greatly increased and he would have earned more. To me that says he's not willing to work at getting in the squad, a typical Wenger trait where he was too loyal to too many players. I just hope West Ham have a comfortable medical room, as I think he'll be seeing more that than the pitch.

Ronaldo was having issues with the RM President I believe.... I wonder if he can win the Champions League with 3 different sides? That would be something very special...

So Mahrez finally gets his Man city move. Sad to see him go but the time was right. Bought for 400,000 and sold for 60 million. Good business or what ? Ultimately a frustrating player, lacking physical strength and endurance ( this will have to improve under Pep) However, what sublime skill he had, among the best I have seen (on his day) Another one destined to spend most of his time on the bench ? Danny Drinkwater was an England player and in Leicester’s 1st eleven, what ever happened to him ? Adieu Riyad you were a big part of something really special for Leicester city and for that you will always have a special place in our hearts.

I’m surprised it took that long. He has never reached the heights of that winning season, probably because his head had been turned. Leicester may have a job holding on to their England centre back too....

Danny Drinkwater was an England player and in Leicester’s 1st eleven, what ever happened to him ?
Indeed. I wonder whether he's happy watching his erstwhile team mates run onto the pitch in a World Cup semi final. He could have been there, and I'm sure he knows it. On the other hand he's got loadsamoney, so that's probably alright then.

Indeed. I wonder whether he's happy watching his erstwhile team mates run onto the pitch in a World Cup semi final. He could have been there, and I'm sure he knows it. On the other hand he's got loadsamoney, so that's probably alright then.

I think that's a bit harsh, had he known it would work out like that would he have moved?

Many footballers make similar decisions... Trippier leaving Burnley to go to Spurs - didn't play that much in first year or two, could easily have been on the fringes again this season. Ali leaving MK Dons... another risk. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Its a brave man to decide not to move to a bigger, better club, more likely to win things (in addition to the ££). There is similar debate at my clubs forum, Cambridge Utd - some players leave to bigger clubs and it pays off, for others it doesn't.

Liverpool have signed Shaqiri. :( I'm not a fan, and I was hoping it was paper talk. I hope he proves me wrong, and fits in, doesn't disrupt the great atmosphere Klopp has fostered and plays more consistently. Trust in the Klopp! :LOL:

Liverpool have been one of the busiest teams for transfers so far, but there should be a lot of transfers for more teams start to happen now that the WC is coming to an end.

Keep up with some of the latest transfers here.

Liverpool have signed Shaqiri. :( I'm not a fan, and I was hoping it was paper talk. I hope he proves me wrong, and fits in, doesn't disrupt the great atmosphere Klopp has fostered and plays more consistently. Trust in the Klopp! :LOL:

Liverpool have been one of the busiest teams for transfers so far, but there should be a lot of transfers for more teams start to happen now that the WC is coming to an end.

Keep up with some of the latest transfers here.

Good squad player for you.

Sports broadcaster Mike Parry is launching a campaign to have football goals enlarged. His argument is basically that people (including defenders and goalkeepers) have got a lot bigger since 1863, but the goalposts haven't, and the authorities need to do something to make the game more entertaining.

https://BANNED/TheTwoMikes/status/1022453337638273026

Sports broadcaster Mike Parry is launching a campaign to have football goals enlarged. His argument is basically that people (including defenders and goalkeepers) have got a lot bigger since 1863, but the goalposts haven't, and the authorities need to do something to make the game more entertaining.

https://BANNED/TheTwoMikes/status/1022453337638273026
I think the man is an idiot. :( Whenever I have heard him he sounds like a bad actor playing a dim provocative character, badly. :rolleyes: This sounds like a fruitless publicity stunt that has no chance of being taken seriously.

If anyone doesn't like him, enjoy some schadenfreude if you search for a video with his name and cinnamon. ;) :LOL:

I think the man is an idiot. :(

I concur! Him and his mate always make me switch the radio off when I hear their dulcet tones. Proper clown!

In other news as a Wolves fan I’m excited for the season ahead. Excited but as a long standing Wolves fan, super nervous too! We always make a great fist of screwing things up just as it get goods and I really don’t like the way the press are bigging us up.

Him and his mate always make me switch the radio off when I hear their dulcet tones.
The Two Mikes? Something of an acquired taste, I'll admit.

I used to be really annoyed by them. But over time I've come to appreciate that her banter is really, really clever. They sound like a couple who have been married far, far too long and they are both continually bickering. Neither can say anything without the other jumping in to contradict him or put him down. But if you listen carefully, you'll notice that they very rarely interrupt one another or talk over one another. It's like a kind of high-speed improv, where they both know how to spot an opening when the other pauses, and they both make sure they make enough little pauses for the other to come in. Like I said, I think it's really clever performance, and I find myself admiring it for that, even if much of what they say is rubbish.

...as a Wolves fan I’m excited for the season ahead....
Interesting trivia question on TalkSport last night.

Which of these clubs has the most Portuguese players in their first team squad?
  1. Benfica?
  2. Porto?
  3. Sporting Lisbon?
  4. Wolverhampton Wanderers?

The Two Mikes? Something of an acquired taste, I'll admit.

I used to be really annoyed by them. But over time I've come to appreciate that her banter is really, really clever. They sound like a couple who have been married far, far too long and they are both continually bickering. Neither can say anything without the other jumping in to contradict him or put him down. But if you listen carefully, you'll notice that they very rarely interrupt one another or talk over one another. It's like a kind of high-speed improv, where they both know how to spot an opening when the other pauses, and they both make sure they make enough little pauses for the other to come in. Like I said, I think it's really clever performance, and I find myself admiring it for that, even if much of what they say is rubbish.

I think it's the high speed waffle I really dislike... always sounds like they're having an argument rather than a discussion!

Interesting trivia question on TalkSport last night.

Which of these clubs has the most Portuguese players in their first team squad?
  1. Benfica?
  2. Porto?
  3. Sporting Lisbon?
  4. Wolverhampton Wanderers?

Yes, we are blessed with Portugese players at present, I hear they're increasing the number of tables in Nando's to cater for it!

I guess there's a similarity to other teams in the past such as Arsenal with the French.... just hope we can be as successful as they have been! :D

I concur! Him and his mate always make me switch the radio off when I hear their dulcet tones. Proper clown!

In other news as a Wolves fan I’m excited for the season ahead. Excited but as a long standing Wolves fan, super nervous too! We always make a great fist of screwing things up just as it get goods and I really don’t like the way the press are bigging us up.

Shame that you have got a new keeper. As a cambridge fan was keen to see Norris play in the PL. he was one of the few keepers to keep a clean sheet last season against city iirc. Is ruddy likely to be no. 2?

Have Burnley created history by having THREE England international goalkeepers in their squad?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45083130

Apparently there have been a handful of instances of two in the same squad, though the only one I can find in my living memory though (which starts from about 1968) was David Seaman and Richard Wright in the Arsenal squad at the same time around 2001-2002.

But I can't find any other instances of three. Anyone?

Last edited:
Have Burnley created history by having THREE England international goalkeepers in their squad?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45083130

Apparently there have been a handful of instances of two in the same squad, though the only one I can find in my living memory though (which starts from about 1968) was David Seaman and Richard Wright in the Arsenal squad at the same time around 2001-2002.

But I can't find any other instances of three. Anyone?
That's be a good trivia question to remember, but then it may be even harder to remember Pope and Heaton in future unless they get more games for England. I think I would recognise Pope in the street, but maybe not Heaton. :confused: :rolleyes:

And going on form, Hart should be sitting on the bench, or maybe even the stand unless the others are injured. ;)

It's a sad day when Kronke gets 100% of the Arsenal shares... :( No transparency, no oversight.... Not a good day at all.

And going on form, Hart should be sitting on the bench, or maybe even the stand unless the others are injured. ;)
Well that's it, isn't it. Hart's the best goalkeeper they have at the moment because Heaton and Pope are both knacked, which is of course exactly why Burnley bought Hart. Still, he'll get a decent stretch of games and he'll have the opportunity to establish himself. If he keeps eight straight clean sheets they won't be able to - and won't want to - drop him when one of the others comes back.

Chelski apparently about to panic buy and pay £71m for the goalkeeper Kepa! :eek: Hands up anyone who has heard of him before? :thinking: :confused: Courtois seems to be playing funny buggers with them so they need a goalie. :rolleyes: Could take the pressure off Alisson now as he won't be the most expensive keeper. ;)

I can't say he has been on my radar, as Liverpool have been linked with almost every goalkeeper over the last few years I know quite a few. :( :LOL:

Hard to say how Arsenal will go now. A single owner can make quick decisions, but the Arsenal fans seem unsure of what, if anything, he has planned. :thinking:

That's be a good trivia question to remember, but then it may be even harder to remember Pope and Heaton in future unless they get more games for England. I think I would recognise Pope in the street, but maybe not Heaton. :confused: :rolleyes:
It would be a good trivia question. Here's another one - name a goalkeeper who played for England whilst he was at a non-English club. Actually that's not very difficult. How about a goalkeeper who played for England whilst he was at a non-British club?

Sarri: "Roman, we really need a Keeper!"
Abramovich: "Kepa, no problem"

So I got roped into doing a "Draft FPL" basicly no values no limits to 3 players from a team.

Random starting order of pick, so 1 goes then another and another etc then back up the list (1st - 8th then 8th goes again and back to 1st in our case).

Anyway was a pretty good laugh giving each other abit of banter while waiting (you had 120 seconds to pick) and my team ended up as below, we shall see how it goes.

Lloris
Otamendi Rudigre Lovren
Salah Eriksen Alli Willian Martial
Benteke Iheancho

Subs: Hart, Smalling, Mounie, Zanka.

Thoughts ?

So I got roped into doing a "Draft FPL" basicly no values no limits to 3 players from a team.

Random starting order of pick, so 1 goes then another and another etc then back up the list (1st - 8th then 8th goes again and back to 1st in our case).

Anyway was a pretty good laugh giving each other abit of banter while waiting (you had 120 seconds to pick) and my team ended up as below, we shall see how it goes.

Lloris
Otamendi Rudigre Lovren
Salah Eriksen Alli Willian Martial
Benteke Iheancho

Subs: Hart, Smalling, Mounie, Zanka.

Thoughts ?
Not sure how that game works, but I'd be worried if I were stuck with Benteke. :eek: :LOL:

Meanwhile, over in the USA .... Wayne Rooney just set up the goal of the season for a 96th minute winner for DC United against Orlando. I don't think I have ever seen anybody work so hard for an assist, and I don't think I've ever seen the outcome of a match swing so much so quickly. Absolutely incredible.

https://BANNED/dcunited/status/1028835624768421889

Same old s**t - different manager!!!

Leno must be awful if Cech is starting ahead of him! How Xhaka is keeping Torreira out the team.... who knows?

Yes, I iknow we have played 2 of the top 5 teams, but looking at the same old mistakes and it will be a season of fighting it our with the likes of Everton or another surprise team like Palace for 6th/7th. Cant decide is Mustafi is poor, or the fact he is trying to cover for his so called defensive partners. Think it may be the latter as Bellerin and Monreal are average players at best.

How many of our players would get into any of the top 5?

Ramsey (who was on the bench???), Aubameyang.... that's about it!!

Back