The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

HASS were penalised for both drivers breaching the sporting regs on the formation lap “The driver must drive the car alone and unaided".

From what I have read it revolves around radio conversations regarding pitting for slicks before the race start.
How is that different from every other team instructing their drivers to when to pit. Many drivers are heard on the radio saying tyres have gone to be told to stay out etc.

From what I have read there should be no communications from the pit wall to the car during the formation lap to avoid the driver getting advice on adjusting clutch bite points and other details to improve the start.

I think this is the rules Hass fell foul of.

Maybe it was this reg

Under the sporting regulations with regard to the formation lap article 36.14
A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver whose tyre(s) are changed for a different specification before the start of the race.

Article 38.3(d)
A ten second stop-and-go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race. If any of the four penalties above are imposed upon a driver, and that driver is unable to serve the penalty due to retirement from the race, the stewards may impose a grid place penalty on the driver at his next Event. If any of the four penalties above are imposed during the last three laps, or after the end of a race, Article 38.4(b) below will not apply and five seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of (a) above, 10 seconds in the case of (b), 20 seconds in the case of (c) and 30 seconds in the case of (d).

As Renault brought up the breach it must have been investigated after the race (they dont really like Hass) the time was added at the end as per the regs

Last edited:
If your not pushing the rules to the limits you're not trying hard enough.
True. But there's a difference between 'pushing the rules' (Brawn, RB, Ferrari etc), and actual attempts at cheating (McLaren, SpyGate and LieGate). Funny how those screaming about Ferrari 'cheating', seem to ignore McLaren's actual cheating...

Hamilton is undoubtedly one of, if not , the best current driver in F1 but he is losing respect from fellow drivers fast
I think it's the way Hamilton seems to be co-opting the BLM thing, to create extra publicity for himself. Something else to add to the 'Lewis Hamilton Show', along with the celebrity girlfriends, hanging out with rappers, having fancy hairdos, wearing daft clothes and loads of gold bling, etc. All a bit 'look at me', isn't it? And his behaviour is hypocritical anyway; not a peep about the Human Rights abuses in many of the countries he'll happily get paid to race in. I think the other drivers are getting a bit sick of his prima donna antics now. People should feel free to do what they feel is right, regarding political demonstrations, not feel forced into it. Hamilton criticising his fellow drivers, then singling out Grosjean for particular criticism, is against the code of conduct many in F1 feel should exist. And the more he acts like a spoilt brat, the more they'll just ignore him.

Anyway. Verstappen and Albon did pretty well in the race, I thought.

IMHO - All sports competitors (and people in general) will look to exploit any loopholes in the rules, from steroids for runners, wings on Ducati MotoGP and fuel systems on Ferrari. Its only called cheating when the relevant governing body declares it to be a breach of the rules, otherwise its just good practice.
What annoys me is that F1 is moving back to the bad old days of Ferrari International Assistance.
Renault, your care is cr*p so stop whinging about everything and spent your time improving your car ! (I seem to remember Renault 'cheating' on Diesel emissions for road cars)
As for Lewis, he is probably one of the best F1 drivers ever and I have no interest in his life off the track or any of the others drivers for that matter.

What annoys me is that F1 is moving back to the bad old days of Ferrari International Assistance.
Another myth perpetuated by the likes of Fartin Trundle, and other bitter ex-drivers who failed to achieve owt in F1. I think it stems from the privileged position Ferrari occupies in F1, as the longest continuously serving team. But as for 'assistance'; this is utter bunkum. If it were true, it would have been proved by now. It certainly hasn't 'assisted' Ferrari for a while now...

I have no interest in his life off the track
But he NEEDS you to care!!!

Years ago I use to love watching F1 with the likes of Senna/DC/DH and MS as to me it was racing at it`s best. Then LH came a long and did well and still does, but then I went right off him and find it very boring just watching him drive round and round. So I don`t watch it anymore as it`s not as good as years gone by.

Years ago I use to love watching F1 with the likes of Senna/DC/DH and MS as to me it was racing at it`s best. Then LH came a long and did well and still does, but then I went right off him and find it very boring just watching him drive round and round. So I don`t watch it anymore as it`s not as good as years gone by.

To be fair on Hamilton, he really is at his ultimate best when he isn't winning and needs to make up places. He has that uncanny ability to see an overtake where others wouldn't (Verstappen is another who can do this). I think that's one of the things that makes him the very best there is right now. Yesterday he pushed and pushed to get a "free" pit stop, so he could put on the tyres he wanted (his team were advising hard tyres), but he knew exactly what he was doing. He came out and smashed that fastest lap so he got the extra point. That's the sort of thing that makes World Champions.

2020 Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix

gmlblM9.png

Silverstone Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.891km (3.66 miles)
Race laps 52
Race distance 306.332km (190.346 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’30.874 (Fernando Alonso, 2010)
Fastest lap 1’29.243 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 329.5kph (204.742 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Hangar straight
Distance from grid to turn one 296m
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 1034m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40
Fuel use per lap 2.8kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.112s

UK Times

Friday 31st July 2020
British Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 11:00-12:30)
British Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Saturday 1st August 2020
British Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
British Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 15:00)
Sunday 2nd August 2020
British Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 15:10)

Previous Winners
2000 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2008 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2012 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Hill 1996
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJcnBF6234

Button 2011
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5FXhXBUbTs

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
mhg5X67.png

4gJHC2T.png

and how many more from racing point will be in quarantine

Well, the last few laps were... interesting!

Well, the last few laps were... interesting!
They were,

And Pirelli are talking about bring softer tyres for next weeks race, I would guess that would mean multiple pit stops.

A sheared clutch bolt jammed the merc engine of the hulks car which was a pity I would have liked to see how he would have fared

A sheared clutch bolt jammed the merc engine of the hulks car which was a pity I would have liked to see how he would have fared

I know these engines are "on the limits", but they're precision engineered, one must only assume it was either a failure of the bolt, or over/under tightened. If the part failed, that's a lot of new clutch bolts to replace across all the Merc engines in the pits.

Not sure whether clutches get changes as a matter of course after every race.

Be interesting to see what develops this week in the way of tyres & tyre management for next weekends race...

Not sure whether clutches get changes as a matter of course after every race.
According to sachs I would think that's most likely
A Formula 1 clutch has to handle up to thirty launch sequences and up to 4,200 gear changes during a Grand prix, for example in Monaco. This inevitably leads to high wear. However it is not only the launch and the many gear changes which place the clutch under enormous strain. The extremely dynamic engine with its high performance peaks causes the clutch to permanently slip. In one racing lap, the slip equals approximately two revolutions. This is another significant factor influencing the high wear of the clutch.

2020 Emirates Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix

gmlblM9.png

Silverstone Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.891km (3.66 miles)
Race laps 52
Race distance 306.332km (190.346 miles)
Lap record* 1’30.874 (Fernando Alonso, 2010)
Fastest lap 1’29.243 (Lewis Hamilton, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 329.5kph (204.742 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Hangar straight
Distance from grid to turn one 296m
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 1034m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 40
Fuel use per lap 2.8kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.112s

UK Times

Friday 7th August 2020
70th Anniversary Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 11:00-12:30)
70th Anniversary Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Saturday 8th August 2020
70th Anniversary Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
70th Anniversary Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 15:00)
Sunday 9th August 2020
70th Anniversary Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 15:10)

70th Anniversary Lap Comparison
EeudUr_XgAAG1vT

Videos

Alonso 2006
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFDziP1pMKU

Mansell 1992
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSAsfJI_9k

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
UJiXPil.png

OloDkCj.png

Racing point less 7.5 points per car from the constructors points
Renaults complaint of brake ducts upheld
Not a nice and easy penalty, apparently its a sporting reg violation than a technical reg meaning if it was the latter its a disqualification but the former point deduction
Racing point has been open and transparent about the copy of the mercedes ducts and will still race with them from now to the end of the season, the 15 points being the advantage they would have had using them
Ducts are listed parts so should have been developed and made by Racing Point BUT even thats not that clear

Racing point less 7.5 points per car from the constructors points
Renaults complaint of brake ducts upheld
Not a nice and easy penalty, apparently its a sporting reg violation than a technical reg meaning if it was the latter its a disqualification but the former point deduction
Racing point has been open and transparent about the copy of the mercedes ducts and will still race with them from now to the end of the season, the 15 points being the advantage they would have had using them
Ducts are listed parts so should have been developed and made by Racing Point BUT even thats not that clear

So do Renault pick another part on the Racing point this weekend and complain?

Seems Mercedes and Toto are unhappy about the new money sharing plan and haven’t signed the agreement, 5 days to sign or will they stick to their guns and walk?

I’ve little doubt someone will fold.

And the racing point saga goes on
Racing Point are appealing the FIA decision to penalise them
Ferrari Mclaren and Renault are appealing the FIA decision on Racing Point because its too lenient and the fact they can still race with the illegal parts
Team bosses from Williams, Alfa Romeo and Red Bull were also displeased, with Mercedes' Toto Wolff claiming they had unfairly formed a "little revolution" against Racing Point.
That just leaves 2 teams where silence is golden

Practice for the Indy 500 starts Wednesday. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Fernando does this year.

So far Alonso is the fastest of the three Arrows McLaren drivers.

Last edited:
So, at the end of the first day of practice for the Indy 500, Fernando was 5th fastest of the 33 runners. That is impressive.

New rules mooted for belgium gp
Bit sketchy but cars must run in same engine mode for both qualifying and race plus it appears the ability to adjust certain modes like turning down to save engines in the race ???
Seems to be trying to stop the fast cars being fast to me

2020 Formula 1 Aramco Gran Premio De España

IQYxFUC.png

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Lap data
Lap length 4.655km (2.892 miles)
Race laps 66
Race distance 307.104km (190.826 miles)
Lap record* 1’21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)
Fastest lap 1’16.173 (Lewis Hamilton, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 332kph (206.295 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 564.71m
Full throttle 72%
Longest flat-out section 1310m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 45
Fuel use per lap 1.46kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.051s
Pit lane time loss 16.6s

UK Times

Friday 14th August 2020
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 15th August 2020
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 16th August 2020
Spanish Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Videos

Schumacher 2002
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueP0NsPJ0Q0

Ricciardo helmet cam 2019 testing
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcL7I1NSQDs

Previous Winners
2000 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2007 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2008 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Venezuela Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault
2013 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes Report
2016 Netherlands Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
2luwWxI.png

cRcCVLU.png

After day 2 of Indy 500 practice, Alonso is 6th fastest.

However, the day didn’t end as planned.

View: https://BANNED/indycaronnbc/status/1294012703166562307?s=21

Fastest lap since 1996 in Indy 500 practice yesterday.

Marco Andretti produced a 233.491mph lap of Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Fast Friday as qualifying turbo boost was increased.

Fastest lap since 1996 in Indy 500 practice yesterday.

Marco Andretti produced a 233.491mph lap of Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Fast Friday as qualifying turbo boost was increased.

I would love to see points awarded for qualifying in F1. 10-1 for the last session, allowing some of the cars who regularly get into Q3 but rarely finish there to get points. Although it does mean that the "big 3" drivers, will all probably get even more points. You could effectively award points for qualifying positions and then do some type of reverse grid to try and get more overtaking.

It needs a shake up, but you can't victimise Mercedes just because they are so good. Every team has it's day, Benetton, Williams, Maclaren, Ferarri and Red Bull have all been the best on the grid at some point.

So, at the end of the first day of practice for the Indy 500, Fernando was 5th fastest of the 33 runners. That is impressive.

After qualifying Alonso is the slowest of the three McLaren drivers and languishes in 26th Place out of 33 runners.....................what on earth is this hasbeen doing returning to F1!

After qualifying Alonso is the slowest of the three McLaren drivers and languishes in 26th Place out of 33 runners.....................what on earth is this hasbeen doing returning to F1!

He’s in good company Fraser. Roger Penske’s three Indy 500 winners – Will Power, Simon Pagenaud and Helio Castroneves – will start from 22nd, 25th and 28th.

Back