The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

I was watching some of the Indy on the F1 channel yesterday. God that oval track is so mundane to watch. Yes, I know it's fast, you have the banked track and accidents can be big, but at least F1 circuits have chicanes and a good series of bends. And people complain about F1 being boring.

He’s in good company Fraser. Roger Penske’s three Indy 500 winners – Will Power, Simon Pagenaud and Helio Castroneves – will start from 22nd, 25th and 28th.

You claimed his performance was impressive earlier; is being beaten by both your team mates and languishing at the back of the grid impressive in your opinion?

You claimed his performance was impressive earlier; is being beaten by both your team mates and languishing at the back of the grid impressive in your opinion?

When you consider Fraser, that Alonso has not driven an IndyCar at Indianapolis for a whole year, and his teammates in this race are full time IndyCar drivers, yes his performance has been impressive. I see you also didn’t comment on the fact that Alonso has qualified amongst the Penske IndyCar winners. Fancy having a dig at them too?

Every thread you participate in is argumentative. Why don’t you leave this one alone?

When you consider Fraser (YAWN - not very original!), that Alonso has not driven an IndyCar at Indianapolis for a whole year, and his teammates in this race are full time IndyCar drivers, yes his performance has been impressive. I see you also didn’t comment on the fact that Alonso has qualified amongst the Penske IndyCar winners. Fancy having a dig at them too?

Every thread you participate in is argumentative. Why don’t you leave this one alone?

no need to get upset because someone doesn't agree with your fanboi appreciation of Alonso. It is called a discussion thread so people can discuss - fact is Alonso was only good in a team renowned for their extreme cheating (Beneton).

His performance is currently very poor; he is trying to win the 'triple crown' not just be an also ran!

Last edited:
Can't help wondering who will take Vettel's seat if when he gets/gives the boot. His heart's obviously not really in it any more and it doesn't look like his bosses are on his team as long as their current golden boy is running.

Can't help wondering who will take Vettel's seat if when he gets/gives the boot. His heart's obviously not really in it any more and it doesn't look like his bosses are on his team as long as their current golden boy is running.

It is going to be a very interesting chapter in his autobiography in a few years isn't it! He already seems intent on showing how hopeless Ferrari seem to be at the moment. I don't think he likes the number 2 driver slot, would love to see Webber do an interview with him at the end of the season when he can talk frankly.

Good question. None of their reserve drivers or members of their driver academy look like they have the potential that Leclerc or Bianchi showed.

When your boss says to you "We're not taking the option of extending your contract at the end of the season" it will either make you drive it like you stole it, to show them they're wrong, or you you flick the bird and say "OK, I'll "work to rule"".

As he has plenty of money, and believes he'll get a ride next year, then you know which way he's thinking. It may well be a team harmony thing, he, like Rosberg, doesn't like not being the team favourite, and gets all wound up.

Tech regulation for same engine modes for both qually and race have been delayed until the Italian GP

Tech regulation for same engine modes for both qually and race have been delayed until the Italian GP
Rumour has it that this tech reg may not appear until 2021
Already exceptions are being muted e.g in and out laps in qualy, under safety car restrictions, push to pass and ive no doubt more will be found
Williams is now owned by an American firm Dorilton Capital,

The FIA are really getting into the cheating mode, What with ferrari allegedly finding a way to gain extra fuel and racing points dilemma, they are now looking at the MGU-k Its rumoured that there is a way of side stepping the sensors for extra power and this might not be limited to one team. All 4 manufactures of the units have now to submit all drawings of hardware and software.
Ferraris light let off for the allegedly fuel discrepancy has an agreement, apparently, that they will help the FIA with cheating in the future. Which could explain the lack lustre performance of the prancing horse as it might be the only fully legit car racing

The FIA are really getting into the cheating mode, What with ferrari allegedly finding a way to gain extra fuel and racing points dilemma, they are now looking at the MGU-k Its rumoured that there is a way of side stepping the sensors for extra power and this might not be limited to one team. All 4 manufactures of the units have now to submit all drawings of hardware and software.
Ferraris light let off for the allegedly fuel discrepancy has an agreement, apparently, that they will help the FIA with cheating in the future. Which could explain the lack lustre performance of the prancing horse as it might be the only fully legit car racing

The thing with F1 is the development, that's what it's all about. If the rules don't say you can't do something, then you design a way of doing it. When Mercedes split the turbo a few years ago, everybody cried foul, but there was no rule that stopped it, so it was development at its best. The same as the floor design on the Brauns giving them extra downforce.

If it doesn't say you can't do, it's fair game.... You can always bring in a new rule for the following year to outlaw it.

Bypassing or interfering with a check sensor is not allowed If that is found out its season over for that team
Unless they cant actually prove it then they can add an extra sensor as in the case of Ferrari and get them to turn gamekeepers
Or in the case of the FIA do something weird with a weird reason

Bypassing or interfering with a check sensor is not allowed If that is found out its season over for that team
Unless they cant actually prove it then they can add an extra sensor as in the case of Ferrari and get them to turn gamekeepers
Or in the case of the FIA do something weird with a weird reason

Obviously bypassing sensors is against the rules, but my point was that everything is open to be modified, unless it's not. And the FIA usually change rules to give Ferrari an advantage :rolleyes:

2020 Formula 1 Rolex Belgian Grand Prix

RnwEaU9.png

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Lap data
Lap length 7.004km (4.352 miles)
Race laps 44
Race distance 308.052km (191.415 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’47.263 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Fastest lap 1’44.503 (Jarno Trulli, 2009, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 319.6kph (198.59 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Kemmel straight
Distance from grid to turn one 271m
Full throttle 70%
Longest flat-out section 2015m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 42
Fuel use per lap 2.39kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.098s
Pit lane time loss 17.4s

UK Times

Friday 28th August 2020
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 29th August 2020
Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Belgian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 30th August 2020
Belgian Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Videos

Schumacher 2004
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAa2aen47Q

1970 highlights
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeglAyTxXXQ

Previous Winners
2000 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Not held
2004 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes Spa-Francorchamps
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Not held
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari Spa-Francorchamps
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2009 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2010 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2019 Monaco Charles Leclerc Ferrari

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
SUovkYY.png

IzaB6TE.png

Lewis Hamilton to race at the belgium GP and is not following the NBA sportsmen in America
Dany Ricciardo is also upset but is still racing

2020 Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken D’italia

vIXP8ab.png

Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Lap data
Lap length 5.793km (3.6 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 306.72km (190.587 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’21.046 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’19.525 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004, qualifying one)
Maximum speed 337kph (209.402 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Start/finish straight and straight to Ascari
Distance from grid to turn one 638m
Full throttle 76%
Longest flat-out section 1520m
Downforce level Low
Gear changes per lap 46
Fuel use per lap 1.82kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.057s

UK Times

Friday 4th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 5th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Italian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 6th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Videos

Schumacher 2005
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoOMy8zWuk

1983 Eddie Cheever
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWaET-H9W4

Previous Winners
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2002 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2004 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2007 Spain Fernando Alonso McLaren-Mercedes
2008 Germany Sebastian Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2009 Brazil Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 Monaco Charles Leclerc Ferrari

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
TjZYQN9.png

lc1VXIg.png

I am sure Sainz is happy about his next career move tonight.....
I’m sure the pay packet will lessen their blow, plus they can’t keep getting it wrong. The 2021 (I think) rules may reset things. It may be the red cars turn to dominate.

Yeah. Pleased for all of those on the podium. I think Albon’s days are numbered

If I were Bottas I'd also be concerned, another couple of laps and he would have been in Hamilton's sights.

A very different GP, and it shows that, if you award points for qualifying, a reverse grid for the cars in Q3 would be great.

If I were Bottas I'd also be concerned, another couple of laps and he would have been in Hamilton's sights.

A very different GP, and it shows that, if you award points for qualifying, a reverse grid for the cars in Q3 would be great.
I doubt Bottas will be moving anywhere, but I'd love to see someone like CL or DR, or better still MV is the sister Merc' then we would see how good LH really is.

I doubt Bottas will be moving anywhere, but I'd love to see someone like CL or DR, or better still MV is the sister Merc' then we would see how good LH really is.

I don't think there's any question of how good LH44 is.... The fact that he was 36 seconds behind the last car when he came out from his penalty, and he finished where he did is testiment enough, especially in a car that "can't overtake" :rolleyes:

I don't think there's any question of how good LH44 is.... The fact that he was 36 seconds behind the last car when he came out from his penalty, and he finished where he did is testiment enough, especially in a car that "can't overtake" :rolleyes:
Well I’m not a fan so probably have a different opinion. I don’t doubt he’s a fast driver, but hey each to their own. What I’m saying is, put a top driver in the same car and let’s see. I’d bet MV would show him the way home with equal machinery. But much like Schumacher he has been able to protect himself from that.

Well I’m not a fan so probably have a different opinion. I don’t doubt he’s a fast driver, but hey each to their own. What I’m saying is, put a top driver in the same car and let’s see. I’d bet MV would show him the way home with equal machinery. But much like Schumacher he has been able to protect himself from that.

"Protect himself"? The best teams have the best cars and always want the best drivers to pilot them, that's how it is.... You don't get a drive in a decent car without being a good driver, which is why Bottas needs to watch his back, there's plenty of young talent pushing for better drives. I'm surprised Ricardo isn't in one of the top 3 teams (inc. Ferrari) as when he has the tools, he's a great driver. Vettel is having a meltdown, but putting Mad Max in a Mercedes would be interesting.

"Protect himself"? The best teams have the best cars and always want the best drivers to pilot them, that's how it is.... You don't get a drive in a decent car without being a good driver, which is why Bottas needs to watch his back, there's plenty of young talent pushing for better drives. I'm surprised Ricardo isn't in one of the top 3 teams (inc. Ferrari) as when he has the tools, he's a great driver. Vettel is having a meltdown, but putting Mad Max in a Mercedes would be interesting.
I’m not going to argue about it. Clearly you’re a fan of Hamilton, I’m not. However I dare bet good money that MV will never be in a Mercedes as long as Hamilton is there, but I’d also wager as soon as he’s gone they will try to sign him.
Teams don’t always want the best 2 drivers in their cars, there’s been many examples of how this has worked out badly. Senna / Prost, even Hamilton and Rosberg. Toto wants a team which wins constructor titles, and Bottas seems willing to play ball.

Teams don’t always want the best 2 drivers in their cars, there’s been many examples of how this has worked out badly. Senna / Prost, even Hamilton and Rosberg. Toto wants a team which wins constructor titles, and Bottas seems willing to play ball.

That I totally agree with. Two big egos rarely work, teams want constructors championships and one of their drivers as champion. I wouldn't call myself a Hamilton fan, I just think he's a very good driver and has earned his way into the better teams through talent, when clearly some have the privilege of being there through who they are, and who their family know.

2020 Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Della Toscana Ferrari 1000

RG96tzu.png

Mugello
Lap data
Lap length 5.245km (3.259 miles)
Race laps 59
Race distance 309.455km (192.286 miles)

UK Times

Friday 11th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 12th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Italian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 13th September 2020
Italian Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Videos

onboard lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAm9q2nSAQg

Valentino Rossi for comparison!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrZSPnkKO2U

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
dffMZFE.png

58dZ2jH.png

2020 Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand Prix

oekXeV5.png

Sochi Autodrom
Lap data
Lap length 5.848km (3.634 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 309.745km (192.467 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’35.861 (Valtteri Bottas, 2018)
Fastest lap 1’31.387 (Valtteri Bottas, 2018, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 325.8kph (202.443 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 889m
Full throttle 75%
Longest flat-out section 1073m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 54
Fuel use per lap 1.98kg
Pit lane time loss 24.8s

UK Times

Friday 25th September 2020
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 26th September 2020
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Russian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 27th September 2020
Russian Grand Prix: 14:10 (UK time: 12:10)

Videos

Rosberg 2014
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL8gJBwibOM

Previous Winners
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Sochi
2017 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5