The Fuji X-A1, X-A2, X-A3 & X-M1 thread

Just purchased the X-M1 and first impressions are very good. Will take some getting used to but loving the lack of a heavy dslr every time I reach for a camera. Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues with Canon YoungNuo triggers and flashguns. Not a major issue but would be good to know. Secondly any ideas on how long Fuji take to send the 50-230 lens? Thanks.

I posted my claim for the free 50-230 on the 9th of December, claim was validated by e-mail and online tracking on the 17th of December I'm expecting 28 working days from then before I will be concerned.

I've got Yongnuo 603mk2 triggers for canon which have worked flawlessly with every Fuji I've owned (the older 603's sometimes caused a problem, but easily remedied by switching off and on again) I've also got the Yongnuo YN-560TX which again works as expected.

I really need to pull my finger out my backside and start getting out with my X-M1!
At the moment it is sitting in a drawer gathering dust.
Will try to get out this weekend!

Sunrise over a derelict church just outside Kings Lynn
DSCF0133 by NnG Photography, on Flickr

This shot looks really washed out on my mobile devices but seems ok on my Mac. It should have a rich gold feel to it. Not sure if using a Velvia preset in LR has caused these issues. Anyone else had issues with desaturated colours on upload?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's the colour space, will need to check it. I suspect browsers on mobiles are cut down hence the slightly washed out feel.

This shot looks really washed out on my mobile devices but seems ok on my Mac. It should have a rich gold feel to it. Not sure if using a Velvia preset in LR has caused these issues. Anyone else had issues with desaturated colours on upload?
Are you local Mark or just passing through? I've never thought of looking at it from that angle before.

Hi Alastair, I'm local-ish. I work in Kings Lynn and live just outside Holt. I noticed this the other day and yesterday had time to stop.

Hi Mark, I'm living in KL and working all over the place. I'm guessing then that you pulled into the layby on the bypass? I normally approach the ruins from the Mintlyn side and it looks like I've been missing a trick for getting the silhouette against the sunset. You've captured the colours gorgeously!

Spot on, yes. I see from looking at the map that it's possible to drive out to the church, might have to take a trip out there too. I also discovered The Walks recently (only started working in Lynn recently), some interesting photo ops in there.

You can drive up and past the ruins if your car has the ground clearance - I had to back-up with my Punto a few weeks ago as I was starting to ground out on the ruts and there's a puddle/moat at one point that's between 6" and 1' deep judging by the scrambler bikes that went through. In summer you can usually get a standard car through once the ruts have been leveled out. The farmer at the bottom doesn't usually mind if you park up by his yard - as long as you don't block access.

Lots of opportunities on The Walks, the bulbs are now starting to come up. Also have a walk around the old part of town, between the Saturday Market Place and the river. Very olde worlde in places, and has frequently been used as a film set.

The Fisher Fleet is a good location, down by the harbour. Note, harbour security get shirty about photographing the commercial harbour and they may be within their rights as it would appear that the road is a private road owned by the port. But as long as you stay down by the fishing boat end they don't care - and at that point it's become a definite public right of way. The bit between Edward Benefer Way and the head of the Fisher Fleet isn't defined as either right of way or not right of way on the county maps (odd, because you need to use it to access the definite right of way by the river).

I keep meaning to go up and past the docks but haven't got round to it yet. Will have to make time.

Beautifully rich colours, second is my favourite.

Thanks mark!
Still trying to adjust to the whole mirrorless setup but i have to say i am enjoying my fuji even with the 16-50 lens which seems to perform really well!

It's a cracking lens. Just got my 50-230 lens, not had a chance to try it out yet.

Thanks both £20 worth of vouchers which is good as I needc a uv filter or two

Last edited:
gone a bit quiet on here so here are few random shots from the last week with the XA1...

16795723369_a790a6de4f_o.jpg

16955960376_96e58e1fcc_o.jpg

16795724399_6e00657fea_o.jpg

16795724129_a5f024588e_o.jpg

okay folks - need a bit of advice about a case for the X-M1 and kit lens... Needs to be something weatherproof and pretty good at protecting from knocks - intended use is for taking the camera with me when I'm out on the pushbike - we're talking roadbike here, for 5-8 hour rides, so I'm really not wanting it on my back either in a rucsack/musette type bag or in the jersey pockets - there's enough stuff in the pockets with clothing and food supplies for a days riding as it is :LOL:

So, my idea would be ideally some form of handlebar mountable bag - I've looked at quite a few normal "bar-bags" but none of them are recommended for use with carbon bars (most seem to use some form of wire retention system that pretty much looks like it'd be through the bar in a couple of rides!)

I'd really be looking at just carrying the X-M1 and the 16-50, maybe a spare battery, but no fancy filter systems or associated guff, though if the bag was big enough to keep the mobile, cash and keys in as well, that'd be great.

So, anyone with something specific case-wise that they've used that fits nice and securely, gives good protection and either attaches or could be modified to do so ?

Thanks Peter... I thought / hoped that there may have been someone using the little X-M1 as a "hillwalking" camera or similar, and have a good all-weather case in mind...

Not sure if it is any help to you @TheBigYin but I use a Lowepro Format 100 for my XM-1 plus kit lens.
There is just enough room for some cash and a set of keys. Just not sure how you could mount it on the handlebars of your bike.

Anyway here's a photo of mine in its bag with an M42 adaptor slotted in beside the lens. Should give you an idea of space.

I take it these cameras are still great value??? what sort of lens would be the best/cheapest for portraits?

I take it these cameras are still great value??? what sort of lens would be the best/cheapest for portraits?

I think that if anything they are even better value now as they can be picked up quite cheaply (great deals on Fuji refurb site). I tend to use the 35 f1.4 for portraits, it is light, sharp and focuses consistently well you can pick up used ones for about £250. The other lens I use for portraits is the 60mm macro - again it is a cracking lens and offers a longer working distance which can be handy.

thanks for the help I think im going to pull the trigger in the next week :) Bitterly regret getting rid of my xe2 :-(

what sort of lens would be the best/cheapest for portraits?

depends on how you feel about manual focus?

I've sold all my fuji X gear except the X-M1 (and 14mm and 27mm lenses) so don't really use it for portraiture, although in the past I've a used a Nikon adapter with a 50mm f2 lens and that's rather nice (and cheap), I also have somewhere a Jupiter 8 with an M39 adapter somewhere

Not sure if it is any help to you @TheBigYin but I use a Lowepro Format 100 for my XM-1 plus kit lens.
There is just enough room for some cash and a set of keys. Just not sure how you could mount it on the handlebars of your bike.

Anyway here's a photo of mine in its bag with an M42 adaptor slotted in beside the lens. Should give you an idea of space.

Stuart, that's spot on mate - at least for sizing... I'll see if I can grab a hold of one and see how it could be adapted - it only really needs a couple of loops that I can get a couple of strong velcro straps through and round the bars - shouldn't be a problem.

Back