The Ghost Garden

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
I spotted a news article in my local paper about a ghost garden appearing during very dry weather... So went out to have a look... Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire.

The outlines you can see are from the original Victorian Garden designed by Sir Charles Barry in the 1850's and was lost during WWII, it's due to the soil drying out at different rates. This is probably a once in a lifetime event - bit like England winning the world cup - (I was 4 when they did win in 1966) - only this was closer and could be seen and photographed....

ghost-garden-gawthorpe-hall-0246.jpg

How fascinating is that... I like it and I like the tonality of your Black and White.

I came across an article about this phenomenon on the BBC website a few days ago - the article was illustrated with aerial views of ancient sites visible in S.Wales that haven't been seen for 40 years or so (1976?).

Fascinating stuff and well captured Geoff.

Thanks Tim, it's been on a few major news outlets and websites, it was on my local newspaper website - hence the reason for me going to see it.

Nice work Geoff I like the conversion it works really well with this shot.

Thanks Alf, I'd seen a black and white image of the original garden, albeit looking down from the hall onto the garden, so I wanted a similar b/w shot but from the other view. Fortunately I went on a day when there was a nice interesting moody sky. I have just noticed I've got a tiny bit of haloing around the building, probably from resizing to fit for the forum that I should fix.

Back