The girl next door - literally... pullbacks added

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Very nice set of images Beth, as usual excellent technique. I'm sure your neighbor will be very pleased with the results.(y)

George.

4 and 5 are my faves - when I saw the thumbnail on the front page I thought these must be yours, Beth. :)

Dare I critique? IMO the lighting, apart from number 4, has not shown the model's face to its best advantage, both in terms of shape outlined by shadows and also flaws. I don't know if you were trying different lighting to emphasise shape and features more than usual, but this isn't something I normally see in your work. I hope this is useful, rather than coming across as criticism.

Good bit of variety there Beth, super as always.

Edit: Now that I'm looking in from my PC they look even better. Really like the pooch too, nice BG colour in that one, bit like my current fave (marble).

Last edited:
Lovely lighting to compliment a beautiful model.
On No1, I'm drawn to the hotspot on the RH (camera) cheekbone.
No 2 stands out was it shows her being 101% relaxed with you.
Great work, lovely smile and you have done her proud.

A lovely set. Sort of wondering if one or two are a little under exposed but as Toni suggests, perhaps you're trying something out or perhaps this is your style of course :)

Beautiful & interesting portraits of a girl becoming a woman. The sophisticated lighting really suits the attitude she's projecting.

I particularly like the first one & don't mind the hotspot on the cheek at all. The missing right hand is mildly curious but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you'd zapped the bright spot (a finger?) by her right thigh.

I'd do a bit of skin work in PS on a couple of them if she's wanting to use them in a modelling portfolio - but agencies will take their own snaps anyway.

Apologies for not replying to you all sooner...

Fantastic portraits as always Beth, your neighbour must be so chuffed with them, 1 & 4 are my favourites.

Cheers Neil. Much appreciate your feedback.

Very nice set of images Beth, as usual excellent technique. I'm sure your neighbor will be very pleased with the results.(y)

George.

Thanks George. I hope so too..

Very nice mate, top work.

Cheers dude.

Superb capture of a beautiful young lady

Thank you! I photographed her two years ago (but 1 day), she's really blossomed.

4 and 5 are my faves - when I saw the thumbnail on the front page I thought these must be yours, Beth. :)

Dare I critique? IMO the lighting, apart from number 4, has not shown the model's face to its best advantage, both in terms of shape outlined by shadows and also flaws. I don't know if you were trying different lighting to emphasise shape and features more than usual, but this isn't something I normally see in your work. I hope this is useful, rather than coming across as criticism.
Of course, critique away.
I was trying to make something different apart from my usual and safe lighting setup on some of them... utilizing a second and third light in some cases, and the use of a TriFlector for the 'headshot'. I was trying to give her some different 'looks'. These didn't really have much 'work' done on them regards to fixing some skin flaws, they were almost straight out of camera. But I take your constructive crit on board. Perhaps I should have stayed 'safe'.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Look very professional. Certainly hope they work for her.
Thank you!

Fabulous shots, sure she will do very well as a model.
Thanks.. she's got a cracking way about her and how she carries herself. I do wish her best of luck.

Good bit of variety there Beth, super as always.

Edit: Now that I'm looking in from my PC they look even better. Really like the pooch too, nice BG colour in that one, bit like my current fave (marble).
Cheers dude! :) Yea, I'm starting to tear away from grey a bit now... The pooch was done on a Lastolite Ivory.

Lovely lighting to compliment a beautiful model.
On No1, I'm drawn to the hotspot on the RH (camera) cheekbone.
No 2 stands out was it shows her being 101% relaxed with you.
Great work, lovely smile and you have done her proud.

Thanks Paul. Yes, I can see it now. Easily fixed. That's me being sloppy. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Most cool :)

Gaz
Haha.. cheers dude.

A lovely set. Sort of wondering if one or two are a little under exposed but as Toni suggests, perhaps you're trying something out or perhaps this is your style of course :)
I think what you're seeing might have something to do with my processing style... I don't think they're under exposed, but I certainly take on board what you're seeing and I'll make sure I take a harder look at them tonight. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Great work. What is your lighting set up? Thanks

Thanks... I used a few different lighting setups. My main goto setup always consists of a large gridded Octa, and then I start filling in from there. I did utilize a secondary and third light on some of them, and also changed my light modifier to a Beauty Box for number 5. I also used a TriFlector for the headshot in conjunction with the Beauty Box. (A Beauty Box is the Lastolite solution to a traditional Beauty Dish, a collapsible softbox with a special baffle and mask to mimic to the best of it's ability).

Beautiful & interesting portraits of a girl becoming a woman. The sophisticated lighting really suits the attitude she's projecting.

I particularly like the first one & don't mind the hotspot on the cheek at all. The missing right hand is mildly curious but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you'd zapped the bright spot (a finger?) by her right thigh.

I'd do a bit of skin work in PS on a couple of them if she's wanting to use them in a modelling portfolio - but agencies will take their own snaps anyway.

Agreed - skin needs some work. I will certainly go over these in more detail when I deliver the final images. Thanks for the heads up. Thanks for pointing out the finger thing... you're right, it does look odd. Thanks for the feedback dude. Always apprecaited.

Excellent set as always hun (y)
Arrr, thank you. :)

Last edited:
Beautiful pics as always, very interesting pullbacks - really amazing just how little space you had to work with!

Really do like number 2, such a natural and happy pose, makes such a massive difference. A nice set though, lighting works well and some good poses.

Back