The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

After walking round the photo show yesterday and fighting a losing internal battle with myself once I had hands on at the Sony stand, I pulled the trigger on an A7rii, FE 70-200mm f4, FE 85mm f1.8. Added bonus of a Sony flash HVL-F60M thrown in along with a 4K high speed SD card and money off. Well pleased.

Im back.

Here are some samples of the new 100mm G-Master lens

1 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-136.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

2 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-134.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

3.F8
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-133.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

4 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-129.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

5 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-131.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

6 F10
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-119.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

7 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-123.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

8 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-121.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Im back.

Here are some samples of the new 100mm G-Master lens

1 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-136.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

2 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-134.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

3.F8
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-133.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

4 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-129.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

5 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-131.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

6 F10
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-119.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

7 F7.1
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-123.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

8 F5.6
PhotographyShowNEC-sony-121.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Anything wide open Jonny?

I might be wrong but thought I'd read an article saying that the new 100mm lens doesn't actually stop down wider than 5.6 (in regards to the amount of light it transmits) because of the way it is designed to render bokeh?

Edit - Yep, there it is;

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/03/07/the-sony-100mm-f2-8-stf-gm-fe-lens-in-hand-first-look/

"Well, the lens arrived to me from Sony to evaluate and when I took it out of the box I was a bit confused. I did not do my full homework in this lens before it arrived and I assumed it was a normal 100mm f/2.8 lens. I was wrong! In fact, on the lens the fastest aperture we can set the lens to is T 5.6. Yep, T stops. So why on earth is Sony labeling this lens as an f/2.8 lens? That is what I had to find out."

"Optical design incorporates an apodization element that helps to improve the quality of bokeh. This element, which resembles a radially graduated ND filter that tapers from clear in the center to more dense around the edges, produces more circular out-of-focus highlights for more pleasing selective focus and shallow depth of field effects.

An aperture range of f/2.8 to f/20 is available, however the implementation of the apodization filter renders this range as T5.6 to T22."

Last edited:
5.6 is wide open. It's a stm lens which means that it does some magic trick where it creates bokeh that's a stop more. In this case a F2.8 look and feel bokeh.

It still only lets in only f5.6 light :(

Not a fast lens

Ah I knew the t stop was less But didn't realise it would show as 5.6.

One for outdoors then.

Sony to announce the following this April :D

1. 16.-35mm f/2.8 GM
  2. 100-400mm FE G
  3. New Sony High End E-mount camera (A9)

Sony to announce the following this April :D

1. 16.-35mm f/2.8 GM
  2. 100-400mm FE G
  3. New Sony High End E-mount camera (A9)

Wish they would put out a 24mm version of the 35 f2.8, apart from the Zeiss 25 f2 (£1.1K) there are no native ~24mm ff primes.

Woofwoof ... [emoji23] Sorry your real name hasn't shown! I'm on the app.
Just a quick Q how big in the Novoflex Adaptor FD to Sony?

Have you got a picture on camera you can show me?

ey up. My real name is Alan but I also answer to Woof Woof :D

The FD to Sony adapter is about 25mm deep. You want a picture of the adapter on my camera? Sorry if I've misunderstood but here goes, my A7 with Novoflex adapter and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4...

The FD 50mm f1.4 plus the Novoflex adapter is a couple of mm shorter than the FE 55mm f1.8, so not exactly big :D

You thinking of buying into FD? I know where there's a nice Novoflex adapter and a set of FD's for sale... :D

Last edited:
ey up. My real name is Alan but I also answer to woof Woof :D

The FD to Sony adapter is about 25mm deep. You want a picture of the adapter on my camera? Sorry if I've misunderstood but here goes, my A7 with Novoflex adapter and a Canon FD 50mm f1.4...

The FD 50mm f1.4 plus the Novoflex adapter is a couple of mm shorter than the FE 55mm f1.8, so not exactly big :D

You thinking of buying into FD? I know where there's a nice Novoflex adapter and a set of FD's for sale... :D

That looks quite a bit bigger than the K&F one? I'll get a pic of mine when I'm home

That looks quite a bit bigger than the K&F one? I'll get a pic of mine when I'm home

The depth of the adaptor will be exactly the same as they're basically just a tube with a male FE mount at one end and a female FD/OM/MD mount at the other. The distance is fixed for each adaptor though as it's the flange depth for that particular lens mount.

The depth of the adaptor will be exactly the same as they're basically just a tube with a male FE mount at one end and a female FD/OM/MD mount at the other. The distance is fixed for each adaptor though as it's the flange depth for that particular lens mount.

Yup.

The point of these adapters is to make the Sony camera sensor to lens distance the same as the Canon film camera film to lens distance.

I've never measured any of my other adapters for Sony or Micro Four Thirds but they're all about the same size and any difference must just be the odd mm more or less.

Last edited:
Oooh! :D

Where did you get it? They've still not in stock at the places I check.

Since I have the money I got back after sending my 50mm macro back still burning a hole in my pocket I've been thinking about buying an 85mm but to be honest I wouldn't use it often enough to justify it.

Since I have the money I got back after sending my 50mm macro back still burning a hole in my pocket I've been thinking about buying an 85mm but to be honest I wouldn't use it often enough to justify it.

in stock at jessops today

Mine came from CVP but I had pre-ordered.

Back