The Grand Canyon

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
The Grand Canyon, a sight known the world wide, one of the natural wonders of the world, and for good reason. You can't beat the feeling the first time you look over the edge and see the wonder. Millions of years of erosion from the Colorado River and you are left with what can only be described as a beautiful natural wonder and one well worth travelling half way around the world for. Taking in a sunset from up here was definitely a bucket list moment.
I had originally planned to shoot the sunset from Hopi Point, however two car loads of Chinese tourists having a head on collision put that idea out of the window, and I ended up rushing off to alert the wardens, before finding the closest area to dump the car and shoot as the sun was almost out of sight. Sadly this meant sacrificing a view of the entire canyon for the sunset shot, but I think it still works, and it's different, which isn't always a bad thing.

A Grand Sunset by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Natures Artwork by Jake Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
The lighting in the first is absolutely wonderful. I think I like the second a little better. Very cool that you got a little chunk of the river in the background. Never been to the grand canyon myself but I'd love to go some day. Great set!

Magical mate - Despite showing less of the canyon, I think the first one edges it for me.
The light spill on both is pretty wonderous!
The lighting in the first is absolutely wonderful. I think I like the second a little better. Very cool that you got a little chunk of the river in the background. Never been to the grand canyon myself but I'd love to go some day. Great set!
2nd one for me, love the depth & detail :)
Two great shots Jake but the second is fantastic! Great tones and detail from front to back, wonderful light.
Looking on a crap work screen but nowt wrong with either of those
Thank you :) It's a fantastic sight to see, one I'd recommend everyone visiting at some point :)

Jake, both are absolutely lovely, and they make a very pleasant change from the usual "postcard from" images of the canyon. (not that there's anything wrong with those images!).
Very nicely done indeed. :)

Nice shots Jake

Not an easy subject due to the vastness I think I would love to go back with a decent camera.

Jake, both are absolutely lovely, and they make a very pleasant change from the usual "postcard from" images of the canyon. (not that there's anything wrong with those images!).
Very nicely done indeed. :)
Thank you Ruth, it's always nice to have something a bit different :) Not a tripod in sight either apart from mine!
Nice shots Jake

Not an easy subject due to the vastness I think I would love to go back with a decent camera.
Thanks Alf, vastness and copious amounts of haze!

Nice shots.

Went here about 20 years ago (during a period when I wasn't into Photography), and kicked myself ever since for never getting any photos.

What I do still remember is the "took my breath away" moment when I first peered from the observation platform. My mind just couldn't comprehend how deep and vast this canyon was,as there wasn't really anything to give it scale.

Great images and different from the norm, love the second for the colours and hits of the vastness Did you stay close or drive from vegas?

Wonderful images, Jake you've captured it well. Personally I prefer the 2nd, the light on the foreground rock and then running around the ridge is excellent, but the 1st is pretty magical too. It looks an amazing place and your images have done it justice.

Nice shots.

Went here about 20 years ago (during a period when I wasn't into Photography), and kicked myself ever since for never getting any photos.

What I do still remember is the "took my breath away" moment when I first peered from the observation platform. My mind just couldn't comprehend how deep and vast this canyon was,as there wasn't really anything to give it scale.
Wow what scenery
Wonderful images, Jake you've captured it well. Personally I prefer the 2nd, the light on the foreground rock and then running around the ridge is excellent, but the 1st is pretty magical too. It looks an amazing place and your images have done it justice.
Love both of these but particularly #2. This has just crept a few places on my "must visit" list!
Thank you very much :) It really is a breath taking sight!
Great images and different from the norm, love the second for the colours and hits of the vastness Did you stay close or drive from vegas?
Cheers (y)
We spent the night at the south rim, stayed just outside the national park boundary in Tusayan. It was then a 4hr drive to Vegas.
From Vegas we also did a helicopter flight, landing in the canyon for a champagne breakfast. Booked with Papillon if you are interested in doing one :) I think it was about £510 for 2 of us.

Cheers - we're staying in vegas so the helicopter ride is probably what we'll do

Cheers - we're staying in vegas so the helicopter ride is probably what we'll do
It's a fantastic way to see it, was awesome coming over the ridge and seeing it from above.
We did the option with limo transfers and the strip, first flight of the day.
love the 2nd one, GC is on my bucket list, hopefully one day when the kids are older.
Thank you :)

Both are great images Jake. I love the lighting in the first image, you've done a really good job of capturing the light, considering you were shooting straight into the sun. The second one is great and is probably my favourite, I love the depth, composition and lighting.

Both great, prefer the first one of the two
Both are great images Jake. I love the lighting in the first image, you've done a really good job of capturing the light, considering you were shooting straight into the sun. The second one is great and is probably my favourite, I love the depth, composition and lighting.
Thanks guys :)

Great shots, and I think the unusual vantage points gives a welcome alternative view.

I went there a couple of years ago via helecopter. Would love to do it via car and take a little more time, its such an awesome environment.

Back