The Green Flash at Aberystwyth

The starlings are continual source of disappointment. They hardly ever put on a good show at all. They usually fly around for a few minutes but all too soon the first birds drop into the roost under the pier, where they start chattering, and following that all the later arrivals hear the chattering and go straight in. And then, like last Sunday evening you go home, turn Countryfile on and there's amazing film of them swirling and morphing at a site somewhere in the midlands, and then even more somewhere in Cumbria! :banghead:

The starlings are continual source of disappointment. They hardly ever put on a good show at all. They usually fly around for a few minutes but all too soon the first birds drop into the roost under the pier, where they start chattering, and following that all the later arrivals hear the chattering and go straight in. And then, like last Sunday evening you go home, turn Countryfile on and there's amazing film of them swirling and morphing at a site somewhere in the midlands, and then even more somewhere in Cumbria! :banghead:

Yep, even made the BBC main news - that's news............? I don't think there are any here either so I feel for you.

It isn't that unusual, actually. The atmosphere needs to be crisp and clear and the horizon unobstructed. I've seen quite a few at Aberystwyth while waiting for the starlings to re-arrange themselves.

This one was one of the best and the first I've got a decent photo of. it wasn't something I had planned and was just a reflex reaction to the situation. It so happened that the exposure was good (underexposed) and the light levels elsewhere in the image were compatible.

I was taking to a lovely man from Wolverhampton who was so excited to see the starlings go to roost and managed to show him the Green Flash as well. He loved the whole thing.

Back