The Hare and Thistle

Lovely frame Mark as well as the cool behaviour with the thistle the raised leg really adds I like your framing too bro .

cheers for sharing

stu

Lovely shot Mark, great pose (y)

Lovely shot ... it appears that Hares (& rabbits) scent mark from glands under their chins, I wonder if he is checking a scent rather than the thistle?

I've seem both hares and Rabbits do this on various plants -

Lovely capture fella

Les :)

Lovely shot ... it appears that Hares (& rabbits) scent mark from glands under their chins, I wonder if he is checking a scent rather than the thistle?

Could well be , have seen the chin rubbing but never put it with scent marking , thinking they just had an itchy chin .
Thanks for all the comments so far , much appreciated .

Roger where did you find this out.?........ do you have any thing to back this? I've long thought this was what I was seeing,even to the extent where I'm sure I have an image or so showing some form of scent "deposit" but i've never been able to find any info to collaborate me thoughts. I'm convinced you are right mate but that is just based on watching

Mark sorry for the slight derail something I've been aware of for a long time but never been able to substantiate

cheers both

stu

Roger where did you find this out.?........ do you have any thing to back this? I've long thought this was what I was seeing,even to the extent where I'm sure I have an image or so showing some form of scent "deposit" but i've never been able to find any info to collaborate me thoughts. I'm convinced you are right mate but that is just based on watching

Mark sorry for the slight derail something I've been aware of for a long time but never been able to substantiate

cheers both

stu

Although hares are not territorial, during the breeding season dominant males
chase off subordinates from breeding does. The males (known as bucks or jacks) use
scent-mark clumps of grass from glands under their chins; they also urinate on their
feet and kick out to spread the scent.

Cornwall Mammal Group

You star, thanks mate. thanks loads. It might be said I don't fully believe every thing I read about a brown hare on the web ,but this has substance . They leave a sort of dark waxy deposit Roger,I've no idea how many visits make something visible to us, just thought that was what I was seeing . I've never seen anyone mention it before

Ha and I've seen the urine thing too But funnier was a female nailing an over amorous male by spraying him,Stopped him dead in his tracks Funniest thing Roger he shook , the look on his face just killed:LOL:

Back