The hated Earwig!!! Ugh!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Of all the insects I shudder at finding and photographing, the centipede is one, and the earwig is the other.

Just something about earwigs that I really, really don't like!

So when I found one tonight, I took the photos anyway... Ugh!

Paul.

Super Macro mate :D ;)

Lighting is looking fab... so much detail in the specular highlights so all good.

Even though you hate them can't deny their beauty. :D

Cheers buddy - yes I agree, despite the hatred, there is always something about insects that make me admire them for what they are. :)

The diffusion seemed OK on this - not so sure about the spider eating photo though. Different subjects bounce the light back so differently!

Paul.

They're stunning creatures man up!!! haha! Nice lighting, too much orange in the pic for my taste to be honest, maybe try and mess with the temperature a bit to separate the orange/red tones and make it pop more?

Matt

They're stunning creatures man up!!! haha! Nice lighting, too much orange in the pic for my taste to be honest, maybe try and mess with the temperature a bit to separate the orange/red tones and make it pop more?

Matt

Thanks Matt (I'm an ear-chicken! :) )

The red is coming from the Accrington Red Brick - a brick popular in Lancashire for it's rich vibrant colour. I could desaturate it it more I suppose, but that takes away from its colouration.

Paul.

The second to last one is superb perfectly caught love the way it's looking into the frame
Like them all though lighting looks great :)

Years ago I lived in a 10 storey tower block with a flat roof equipped with clothes drying lines. Fellow residents were always complaining that if they left their washing up overnight it was full of earwigs. They did not appreciate my suggestion that the obvious remedy was to take their washing in at night so I investigated further. There was the usual lift machinery building with lighting attached to it and on the floor around the base was a mass of insect wings - no bodies. I went up there at night to find there were hundreds of earwigs standing around with their jaws open looking skywards and waiting for moths to come fluttering in and then fall exhausted to the ground. At the end of their night shift they packed up their equipment and beetled :) off to the nearest damp piece of laundry to sleep off their night's work. Respect your earwigs. They are also wonderful mothers.

Years ago I lived in a 10 storey tower block with a flat roof equipped with clothes drying lines. Fellow residents were always complaining that if they left their washing up overnight it was full of earwigs. They did not appreciate my suggestion that the obvious remedy was to take their washing in at night so I investigated further. There was the usual lift machinery building with lighting attached to it and on the floor around the base was a mass of insect wings - no bodies. I went up there at night to find there were hundreds of earwigs standing around with their jaws open looking skywards and waiting for moths to come fluttering in and then fall exhausted to the ground. At the end of their night shift they packed up their equipment and beetled :) off to the nearest damp piece of laundry to sleep off their night's work. Respect your earwigs. They are also wonderful mothers.
Nice story, but the truth is they crawl into your ear at night and eat your brains while you sleep.

Great images though Paul, even though you are fully justified in your fear of them. That first is brilliant! A great pose from a tough subject to shoot.

An "Excellent" set of images Paul, really great detail, composition and exposure.(y)

George.

Nice story, but the truth is they crawl into your ear at night and eat your brains while you sleep.
That is so true, but the point of my story is that you should keep your bedside light on and the windows open so the 'wigs will have a plentiful supply of moths and not bother with your brains. I always fill my ears with mealworms at night whichkeeps them clean and keeps the 'wigs occupied.

Smashing photos, and they are great insects as well. I have a family that lives in the birdfeeder hollow top in the summer. Always careful to try and not disturb them too much.

Your detail is excellent, and so nice to see the little fella's close up. I am sure that one is Fred!!

Mj

Lovely set of a not so popular insect

Les

Great images though Paul, even though you are fully justified in your fear of them. That first is brilliant! A great pose from a tough subject to shoot.

An "Excellent" set of images Paul, really great detail, composition and exposure.(y)

George.

Smashing photos, and they are great insects as well. I have a family that lives in the birdfeeder hollow top in the summer. Always careful to try and not disturb them too much.

Your detail is excellent, and so nice to see the little fella's close up. I am sure that one is Fred!!

Mj

Thank you all for the comments, anecdotes and old wives tales. :)

Paul.

Back