The Heart Nebula

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Here's my first image with an astromodified DSLR. I picked up a second hand Canon 600D a couple of months ago and here's my first image - we had two clear nights in August so it's taken a while to get a few hours on this target!

This is 6 hours total integration, consisting of 5 minute single exposures.

Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 73
Mount: Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod
Autoguiding Scope: Starwave 50mm Guidescope
Autoguiding Camera: ZWO ASI 120MM Mini
Camera: Canon 600D Astromodified
Optolong L-eNhance Dual Narrowband Filter

The Heart Nebula is in the constellation Cassiopeia, and is 6000 Light Years from Earth. Clouds of ionised hydrogen make up the Nebula.

Heart-Nebula-6h2m-73-Lights.thumb.jpg.638b0bcb79c81ec0121d4a066b16a917.jpg

Also a video featuring this image on my channel where I plate solve to find targets:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIy1D2pBZ0

Yes agreed, amazing amount of work :)

Space is amazing!
I’m tempted to agree ( going on the tiny amount I know about it) but I also find it a tad unnerving.
I am very fortunate that where I live I can find a location pretty much on my doorstep with very little light pollution and lie on a mountain top and gaze into space but the way it ‘draws me in’ to the point where I start to feel like I’ll never be able to retrace my steps and come back out, really causes me to roll over and stare at the ground to ensure that I’m still on this planet! Lol

As a younger man I doubt it will have bothered me in the same way, in fact I would likely have found it seriously wicked, but now I think I’ll concentrate on my own personal space lol

Last edited:
I’m tempted to agree ( going on the tiny amount I know about it) but I also find it a tad unnerving.
I am very fortunate that where I live I can find a location pretty much on my doorstep with very little light pollution and lie on a mountain top and gaze into space but the way it ‘draws me in’ to the point where I start to feel like I’ll never be able to retrace my steps and come back out, really causes me to roll over and stare at the ground to ensure that I’m still on this planet! Lol

As a younger man I doubt it will have bothered me in the same way, in fact I would likely have found it seriously wicked, but now I think I’ll concentrate on my own personal space lol

I've had that kind of experience looking up at the stars before... that feeling of insignificance is very overpowering.

Back