The horsehead and Flame nebula.

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
The Horsehead Nebula (also known as Barnard 33 and IC434 ) is a dark nebula in the constellation Orion. The nebula is located just to the south of the star Alnitak, which is farthest east on Orion's Belt, and is part of the much larger Orion Molecular Cloud Complex. It is located approximately 1500 light years from earth. The Flame Nebula, designated as NGC 2024 and Sh2-277, is an emission nebula on centre left of the image.

This image is a combination of a total of 58 x 30 minute exposures. This is possible as there is a separate camera and little scope that keeps a star in the same place all night. This allows me to go back to the same target night after night... in fact some of this data came from last year and I was able to return to the same place the following year and carry on where I left off :)

Horsehead nebula in Hubble palette by Sara Wager, on Flickr

You can see a larger version on my website at www.swagastro.com

As always, absolutely stunning, Sara.

Thanks so much for sharing your work here.

Just to echo Nod, simply stunning, as always, thanks for sharing

Wow

Thank you very much to you all for looking and commenting...... this image has stayed on my PC since January and very nearly got deleted as I just didn't think that it looked good in the colours I'd chosen..... so I played with it some more and changed the colour scheme completely and it gave it some more depth and it seemed better :)

Sara, this is, as ever, just astonishing.
I love your stuff.

Many thanks Viv - I'm pleased that you enjoy it! Astrophotography is certainly something of an obsession with the amount of work for one photo!!!

Excellent, thank you ;)

Truly incredible image, breathtaking. I love it, thank you for sharing and for the description of how it was achieved.

What can I say?

You achieve a standard in all your shots that is exceptional.

Just keep them coming, please.

Dave

Great photo, keep expecting to see the star ship Enterprise come into shot at any moment from

I just popped in to find out how you capture the mw and see this ;-) OUTSTANDING !! need to visit this section more often.

Thank you very much Swag72.

Once again, superb stuff, Thanks for sharing Sara

Back