The Inflight Thread

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

As I have seen a number of people post in flight shots recently and my some what success with the butterflies I thought we need a sticky for this more difficult task with Macro photography.

@Cobra seeing you like creating threads for me could you please make this one a sticky so people can show off their Inflight bugs.

What do you guys think? I have seen some great ones but it is hard to find them now they are in the Ether.

I'll start;

Seen >>>Here

Brimstone Courtship-8008
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Brimstone Courtship-8009
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Brimstone Courtship-8022
by bthomas124, on Flickr

And to be honest if I can do it anyone can :D

Edit: Ok @RichardTaylor has a good idea with settings.

f=250mm ISO400 f8 1/1600s was what I used.

Last edited:
Good idea Bryn as it adds an interesting element t the macro section - not just little critters but flying little critters (y)

Richard you have some very impressive shots here (y)

Richard you have some very impressive shots here (y)

@Cobra seeing you like creating threads for me could you please make this one a sticky so people can show off their Inflight bugs.
We don't do that at random I'm afraid Bryn.
But if you keep adding images it'll stay at the top of the pile anyway (y)

Ooh nice idea... and it's not often you see flying spiders so i should be able to look cringe free!

Some wonderful images already!

Ooh nice idea... and it's not often you see flying spiders so i should be able to look cringe free!

Some wonderful images already!

So spiders can fly - you are being serious - as I need to know - please tell me you're not joking :thinking:

So spiders can fly - you are being serious - as I need to know - please tell me you're not joking :thinking:

Well i've never seen a spider with wings so they better not- but i am sure someone will say the can jump in which case i am on my guard for any mid flight eeks!!

Well i've never seen a spider with wings so they better not- but i am sure someone will say the can jump in which case i am on my guard for any mid flight eeks!!
Chuck a house spider out of a second-storey window and it will fall, albeit in a glide. It can spread its legs out as it descends. Not sure how that goes for all spiders, mind you!

Well you do see them on a gossamer thread floating around for time to time,
as they disperse.
So I'd say more like hang gliders than actual powered flight :D

Look will you lot just zip it about them!! Lol

Sent from The Moon.....

Look will you lot just zip it about them!! Lol

Sent from The Moon.....
Latest report from NASA
Spiders seen passing the space station, en mass,
on Gossamer threads and heading towards the Moon :D

Great idea for a thread some very good shots
in flight is something I've never got the hang of I'm too slow I was trying birds in flight today no chance !!

Great idea for a thread some very good shots
in flight is something I've never got the hang of I'm too slow I was trying birds in flight today no chance !!

Can I have your 7d? :p:D

Frame rate on 500d is rubbish and buffer fills up in about 6 shots. (n)

For the birds in flight (and I am not an expert) try practicing at the beach with seagulls and/or try it with big birds like pelicans.
Most of mine are shot with a Canon 40D, however I shot one, in flight, years ago with a SLR without a motor drive and no autofocus.

Last edited:
That's really Neat Alby, how the hell does it do that with no wings?
:D

Here is E balteatus taken on my Canon 40d with the Mp-e 65 from a while back, it is my favourite in flight shot. Not taken any for ages so will be well out of practise.
291 Episyrphus balteatus by Ajophotog, on ipernity

My god Alby that is amazing... you must have got pretty close... I noticed the one I shot yesterday seemed quite interested in what I was doing and flew very close to me... but you have to be super duper quick to get the shot then (more room in frame at distance)

Thanks to Alby @Ajophotog I have been trying to capture the hoover fly on my Tamron 90mm. It seems to be more comfortable with me being around and tends to fly so close. Not managed to get it but at one point thought it had landed on my lens hood.

A "pregnant" hover fly looking for a place to deposit her eggs.

2014-0064.jpg

Back