Beginner The Jurassic Coast, Dorset

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
Yes
No1. is a very nice scene but the fence doesn't do anything for me. The water also looks a bit over exposed and the horizon needs a profile correction as it is bowed.
No2. nice timing on the splash to add to the scene.
No3. not enough in the photo, over exposed sky.
No4. the lighthouse is central, might have been better a bit further right but the detail in the sky on left might not have been so interesting.

As you have labelled yourself as a beginner 1,2 and 4 are good shots. No1 stands out though if the corrections are made it would be even better.

No1. is a very nice scene but the fence doesn't do anything for me. The water also looks a bit over exposed and the horizon needs a profile correction as it is bowed.
No2. nice timing on the splash to add to the scene.
No3. not enough in the photo, over exposed sky.
No4. the lighthouse is central, might have been better a bit further right but the detail in the sky on left might not have been so interesting.

As you have labelled yourself as a beginner 1,2 and 4 are good shots. No1 stands out though if the corrections are made it would be even better.

Good feedback, thankyou.

Number 1, I've strangely not noticed that until I uploaded it to Flickr, so I'll go over that now and correct the horizon.
Number 3 - it's over exposed intentionally, part of me like the washed out and minimalist look. Not for everyone of course, but I like its simplicity.
Number 4 - Yep, you're absolutely right, it's not a strong image but wanted to include it.

Thanks for the feedback.

For me personally the first is the best but the colours are slightly too strong for my taste. I am wondering whether 3 would look better as a square and in black and white as it seems a little too long. I similarly wonder whether 4 would look better in black and white with some dodging and burning on the clouds with the right hand rock cropped out, as there is nice texture in the clouds but that might be lost a little in colour.

I don't care for the colours of the first, though I like the composition.
The rest make a nice set.

I prefer the 2nd picture.More natural light and something going on.
1st seems over baked colour wise.
3 & 4 are ok but don't grab me.

Pete

1. Personally the fence is getting in a way and cutting the viewer off from the scene. I generally try to avoid unless placed intentionally.

There is a weird yellow grad at the top of the image. Was that by design? I certainly don't enjoy the colour cast and it appears to be too dark (sky is ALWAYS brighter than water)

Finally there is the distortion mentioned above. 24mm end of that lens is infamous for it. You must correct it in post.

The rest are done in pretty average light and are not really very special. Landscapes really benefit from shooting at golden hour, low, contrasty or even stormy light.

Back