Critique The Kelpies at Dusk (Picture added)

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Yep a bit Kitsch and been done by me and many others many times but they really are a marvelous thing. I decided to try get some different colours to the red/yellow/blue ones I shot already.

Standard blue:

_DSC9781 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Torquise (exposed between the blue and green lighting phase)

_DSC9784 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Standard Green

_DSC9786 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Orange (exposed between the red and yellow lighting phase)

_DSC9789 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Night time Torquise

_DSC9796 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

maybe done to death but always a pleasure seeing them, well captured

Reactions: ST4
Have you seen the mini kelpies doing a tour? They are 1/10th scale and still prettt big, and were in Dumfries and Galloway not long ago. Sadly where they were 'dumped' it was virtually impossible to get a decent pic of them without the background junk ruining it!

Last edited:
Have you seen the mini kelpies doing a tour? They are 1/10th scale and still prettt big, and were in Dumfries and Galloway not long ago. Sadly where they were 'dumped' it was virtually impossible to get a decent pic of them without the background junk ruining it!

Sadly not. Sadly what these images don't do is impart the sheer scale of the things. Nice play to go and fun too timing your shots with the lights to capture different colours

Interesting series Steve, especially as you've let the sky go black for the last couple instead of packing up when the blue finished. Were you fighting off all-comers, or was the place fairly quiet?

The models that gremlin talked about were in Inverness earlier in the year and I posted a couple of shots at the link. You can see that one has a figure standing in front to give a scale to them, but they are exact replicas apparently.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-kid-on-kelpies.630161/

Last edited:
Interesting series Steve, especially as you've let the sky go black for the last couple instead of packing up when the blue finished. Were you fighting off all-comers, or was the place fairly quiet?

The models that gremlin talked about were in Inverness earlier in the year and I posted a couple of shots at the link. You can see that one has a figure standing in front to give a scale to them, but they are exact replicas apparently.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-kid-on-kelpies.630161/

It was dead but even if busy you can take this shot. Get low, aim high (convergence just isn't an issue). Compose to separate the heads out and to allow the pylons to be cut by the frame edge as cloning then out then becomes a doddle.

If you want to take the wide reflection shot then hipsters with selfie sticks, mums with prams, lads with tarts etc become an issue as they're not tog friendly. I find all the street furniture at helix park distracting anyway and in the reflection shot you frame it all and some. Thus I prefer this cleaner less cluttered shot. It seems truer to the artists original vision and it's easier by miles to take

They may be done to death but for someone like me living the wrong end of the UK, who would love to see them but is unlikely ever to, they are just magnificent. I love the gold on black shot.

Lovely to see the different colours they are, bu the last one with gold and black is really different and very effective..

Great to see the different colours! Excuse my (probably ignorant) question - did you wait to take these at different times of day? Or do the coloured lights inside the Kelpies cycle through green/yellow?

Great to see the different colours! Excuse my (probably ignorant) question - did you wait to take these at different times of day? Or do the coloured lights inside the Kelpies cycle through green/yellow?

They normally go through a cycle changing every 10secs. They are only lit from dusk though not all thru the day and sometimes they are one just one colour but normally they cycle.

Back