North England The lakes and wildlife

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
probably off to the Lake District in early sept ,once the brats are back at school . But I,m looking for more wildlife than scenic views ,(will do a few of them though) already got rspb Leighton moss and south Lakeland zoo down for visits .
But any other sites worth visiting around there will be staying in the ulverstone area hopefully ??

South Lakeland Zoo has been having lots of trouble recently. Animal welfare issues have been but one of the causes for concern. We went last year and it was somewhat tatty. Parrot house was good, but you will have to work to get good shots elsewhere. The council have recently refused to renew the operators licence for the owner guy so a new set up is in place, but I think they are being watched very closely. Not a place We'll be rushing back to.

Leighton Moss is well worth a visit. You can easily spend all day wandering between the hides. Lower hide regularly sees otters, kingfishers, bitterns and marsh harriers; providing you are patient. You are a birder so will have the patience that I lack!

You might be lucky and see red deer from the Tim Jackson/Grizedale hides, but if you want deer then a trip to the opposite end of The Lakes, to Martindale will give you deer. You can drive all the way up the valley and there is a shooting lodge (The Bungalow on OS maps) but you might still have to walk up the hillside.

Depending on when you go the ospreys might still be at Foulshaw Moss. You go right past that on the road to Ulverston. Ospreys also at Bassenthwaite near Keswick. I'm also told that there are ospreys on Esthwaite Water this year and you can hire a boat to go out on the lake to see them. The publicity is that they will dive into the water right next to your boat: we all believe that don't we? If you are inerested....http://ospreysafari.com/osprey-safari/

Depends how far you want to travel. Caerlaverock(WWT) in southern Scotland is well worth a visit, but may be too far for you.

Walney Island off Barrow has colonies of seals and seabirds.

I've heard this site is worth a visit, about 30 minutes from Ulverstone - http://www.cumbriawildlifetrust.org.uk/reserves/foulshaw-moss - I've not been myself, but hopefully I'll get there next year. Leighton Moss is a lovely reserve, which should be filling up with waders in September.

Oops, mickledore was quicker off the mark then I was....but agree with him fully.

Last edited:
Thanks lads a couple more to add to the list ,been to dalton in Furness a couple of times on business but ,never stayed in the area so any ideas are helpful ,the zoo appeals as it's free entry til the end of the year due to there problems ,but I have seen recent good shots from there ,so hopefully they have turned the corner ..Leighton moss will definetly get a look in and foulshaw sounds good to .
All we need now is a clean m.o.t next week and the caravans ready to go

I second what mickledore has said. We weren't that enthralled with the South Lakes zoo, but if you're in the area you can look see.

Also @ Leighton moss you might get lucky re the bearded tits in the reads on the causeway & I think they've had 2 successes with marsh harriers breeding.

If you search out/ask around those in the know, there are a couple of good sites for red squirrels in Cumbria.
Snaizeholme, near Hawes being one.

If Gardens are your thing, or just wanting a day doing something relaxing (weather dependant of course :rolleyes: ) I can recommend Levens Hall. Some fantastic topiary there. (worlds oldest I believe)

Last edited:
It's a bit early for bearded tits at Leighton Moss. Late September or preferably October/November are favourites. I've been many times and only seen them once. A nice bright windfree early morning is best. Guess how many of those we get?

Oops. Sorry. I missed the bit about the topiary. Deffo worth a visit. Holker Hall on the same theme.

It's a bit early for bearded tits at Leighton Moss. Late September or preferably October/November are favourites. I've been many times and only seen them once. A nice bright windfree early morning is best. Guess how many of those we get?

Yep, it is a bit early yet, especially for the grit-trays, but they've had a good breeding lot again this year I think & you can sometimes see them in the reeds.

It's funny, I know folk who've been there & stood for many hours over 2 or 3 visits & never seen one.
A couple of mates took me there on my first visit & a couple of hours later......... :D

Well chuffed.

Bearded tit (Panurus biarmicus) by Carl B, on Flickr

Last edited:
A purple heron seen at LM this past couple of days. :cool:

Thanks lads keep it coming

holiday now booked ,had to wait for the dreaded m.o.t pass before booking

At Leighton Moss there's also a hide on the saltmarsh a mile or so from the main reedbed site. It has a couple of scrapes/lagoons and would be good for waders in the autumn.
Be careful if driving to those hides. You have to go under a very low railway bridge. I mean very, very low!

You might as well stay at home and shoot the Osprays at Foulshaw Moss unless you own the hubble telescope. Haven't been this year but last year the nest was about 500m from the viewing platform. I have seen him on the Arnside/Sandside side of the estuary a couple of times this year but you would have to be lucky.

thanks for the info i have more than my fair share of wader shots living 200 yards from the dee estuary marshes . and with easy access to the beaches of north wales and the wirral so i won't be seeking them out .but its always an adventure in a new area as well

Back