Critique The Last 24hours, Glencoe, Loch Awe and Loch Lomond

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a fun 24hours. Yesterday I decided to hit Glencoe, this is my favourite time of year and whilst the forecast wasn't hopeful it was still.

Just after the rain cleared I decided to go back to the Buachaille. This angle works really well in the summer as the sunset is so far to the north you can get some lighting on this. Light never really came but its different to all the others I have from this tripod hole

_DSC0191 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I am encourged to see more leaves on the trees now, so I thought I would make the last of the light in Glencoe. What a spot this is. I will probably go again tonight as it looks fairly still in the area. The blue skies are alas gone but there was a break in the light giving this wonderful golden glow on Bidean Nam Bian.

_DSC0213 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

After some munch I had a wee nap in my car near Dalmally and aimed to do Kilchurn castle. The Met Office predicted sunny intervals, low winds and a little cloud cover. Perfect for the scenes and mood I wish to capture. To be fair, the Met got the low winds right but there was a horrible fog everywhere. It wasn't really what I wanted but in retrospect its a rather different take on a scene I've shot countless times

_DSC0764 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I normally take this in landscape orientation but thanks to some right manky gits who've left old tents near the castle it wasn't to be. I doubt I will come back here any time soon, the hoardes of fisherman, empty beer cans and litter have ruined the fun of coming here.

_DSC0762 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And one from the way home. I had planned on going to Inveraray castle but decided with the fog I might not pull the shot off. Wish I had, the fog was pretty localised but took this of Ben Lomond near Inveruglas on the way home

_DSC0781 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

After a quick nap Glencoe probably awaits me again.

Last edited:
Cracking set Steve. The first is one I will be attempting again next time I'm there, I bombed first time.

I like the 2nd one, the light on the peak is sublime. I think though, I would prefer it in Autumn, but then would you get the same light in that spot?. I've been there, it's a cracking spot but I didn't go to the far end.

3+4, I love them, I can't pick a favourite. I thought number had just a bit too much space but it depends on how you view it in your mind. From a negative space point of view, it works really well. I think though, the 3rd image edges it for me from this set. I'm not bothered by them being central rather than thirdy.

You certainly exploited the conditions, they are all superb.

Last edited:
Hi @Dale.

With Torren Lochan the sun doesn't really light it this way in autumn. It's a summer evening job only. The far end isn't as good as the one by the gate post in.

Re Kilchurn. I processed a few but can't pick myself ;)

Debating going up again

Kevin, just goes to show. Even I will take something different to my norm.

Joe, pylons just can't go no matter how you crop. I've grown to accept them

Last edited:
Excellent set, makes me envious of the location, not been there for some years now (y)

Wonderful set.
No 2 is a cracker.
Love the tone and colour of the castle shots.
The reflections are stunning as always.

Back