The look - 1 more shot added

Love it. Great connection, nice catch lights, like the composition, can still see the detail in the freckles, good DOF choice for the background. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I guessing by the way you've cropped this so tightly that you already know this - her eyes are quite low in the frame. A real shame as it's quite nice otherwise.

There isn't much room to move as I wanted her glasses in the shot however I do agree now you've pointed it out. The only way I can move her up is to crop her head, something to think about for next time.
Thanks for commenting

Girl in the park re-edit by Alan Cook, on Flickr
I prefer the first edit. I think the glasses add more than the height of the eyes in the frame takes away.

Last edited:
I prefer the first edit.

:plus1:
Her eyes being too low in the frame would be correct if one was following the rule of thirds or suchlike but as has been said in this forum numerous times, it's a guideline. Not to be slavishly adhered to.
The model's eyes draw the viewer in regardless of where they are placed in the frame.
I particularly like the processing here too, gives it such an ethereal feel.

The rule of thirds are a guideline for a reason. This image woukd benefit from following those guidelines, as Alan's second edit demonstrates.

The rule of thirds are a guideline for a reason. This image woukd benefit from following those guidelines, as Alan's second edit demonstrates.

As Alan stated though he wished to have the glasses in the shot though.
It's all down to artistic choice though Ryan, rule of thirds is a starting point.

Funnily enough, the eye level sort of works for me. Normally I'd agree, but as an environmental portrait, I'd expect to be standing slightly taller than her (I'm guessing - although she could be 6'2" of course!) so by bringing her eyes down in the frame it does give that sense of looking down on her.

Agree with the other comments - the glasses really add something! I think for a closer crop a square aspect might work better. But any which way, it's a beautiful shot in great light. :clap:

As Alan stated though he wished to have the glasses in the shot though.
It's all down to artistic choice though Ryan, rule of thirds is a starting point.

For me it's not so much about the rule of thirds as about balance. She needs some space below her chin to balance the picture.

The same rules apply - if you don't want a picture to feel balanced then that's fine - so long as it's a deliberate choice rather than an accident.

For me it's not so much about the rule of thirds as about balance. She needs some space below her chin to balance.

Agree with Simon about the balance, though if the original crop was the whole frame, there's not much point discussing this further really.

Shot a little wider with more space below and to the left (and arguably the top too) of shot would balance it better, IMO. Perhaps something to consider next time the OP shoots rather than applying a tighter crop to the original shot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments, I tried to fill the viewfinder when I was taking the shot ...

Never the best idea with anything other than a bog-standard composition unless the limitations of your camera preclude much cropping later ;)

However, FWIW I reckon the first one's a very decent snap indeed, but if it was mine and I wanted to go for effect, I'd keep the aspect ratio and go even tighter than your second crop, thus ...

headcrop_zpslev9s7hp.jpg

Be that as it may, I guess it's just me who doesn't rate the processing ... ?

Never the best idea with anything other than a bog-standard composition unless the limitations of your camera preclude much cropping later ;)

However, FWIW I reckon the first one's a very decent snap indeed, but if it was mine and I wanted to go for effect, I'd keep the aspect ratio and go even tighter than your second crop, thus ...

headcrop_zpslev9s7hp.jpg

Be that as it may, I guess it's just me who doesn't rate the processing ... ?

Really liking that crop!

Really liking that crop!

Why, thank you, sir! At one time I had a bit of a thing about cropping strong full-face "attitude" portraits like this. Took me ages to realise that most of the time, they worked (for me, anyhow) if I took a line through the eyebrows, then cropped above that by the same distance that the pupils are below it. And more often than not, the nose line ended up very close to a horizontal third ...

Back