Beginner The Mam Tor Gate

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been meaning to get up to Mam Tor for a while to photograph in infamous 'Gate'. It is not too far away (about an hour), so ventured up just before Christmas, but didn't even get out of the car as it was blowing a gale with horizontal snow! Since then the weather has been awful....until yesterday/today. So yesterday, I went up there to 'recce' the area and see where everything is, then set out at 06.00 this morning for a 'proper photo' run. Anyway...it was f-f-f-f-freeeeezing up there, and a few other 'togs had made it up, so here is the result. Pretty pleased on the whole...shame there were no clouds in the sky (although it does have a 'clean' look !), but managed to capture the Gate, the view and a decent sunrise. Critique welcome.....(my own dilemma is the 'amount' of sky showing i.e. should it be cropped a bit more? Come back to not having any clouds, I guess).

Thanks for looking :)

(Not sure why the EXIF data doesn't show on FlickR, but it was taken on a Nikon D7100, Tokina 11-16 2.8 lens at 11mm, F11, 1/50th, ISO 100....with bracketed exposures and blended in Photoshop.

The Gate at Mam Tor by Richard Breland, on Flickr

All the effort was worthwhile - beautiful landscape shot IMO.

I think the crop on the sky is about right (top 2/3rds) and shows a nice gradation in colour from deep blue to the sunburst. Love the browns and greens in the scene as well with the cold frost on the foreground.

Last edited:
Its surprising how different it looks and diffeeent position sun from August bank holiday when the sun rose on the great ridges Peak

Its surprising how different it looks and diffeeent position sun from August bank holiday when the sun rose on the great ridges Peak

Sorry I meant to say nice shot

Excellent Richard. When I look at a landscape shot like that I ask myself how would it look if used in a book, and that shot would look just great.

It's a nice shot but compositionally just doesn't work for me. I see two separate images in this one, as I find the sunburst and post totally draws my attention every time, taking away from the gate, which was your main focal point of the image. Colours and light is lovely, but sometimes it's best not to try and capture everything in one image.

1 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments. I think for me personally it ticked a couple of boxes.....having the will power to get up at 05.30 in the morning and climb some freezing hills (!), attempting to take a 'decent' landscape picture (albeit of a well know subject), and capturing some sort of sunrise. Definitely warrants a return later in the year to get the sun rising close to the ridge, but then you dont get the frost on the ground. I guess you can only work with what you see at a particular time :).

Thanks again.

Back