The Millau Viaduct Squared

Great shot.
Did you use a bridge camera? :exit:

Thanks...LOL
Great shot. Was it early morning.? No traffic.

Late evening - timed very carefully to avoid traffic. I hate cars (parked or moving) in my shots. I was there for 3 hours - this was the only completely traffic moment in that time.

Now - it would be very tempting to use a long exposure to ghost out moving objects - and that would have been my normal exposure strategy when dealing with a scene like this but it was blowing a fair bit so the folliage would blur - and that would be worse. It would be a clone job but the barriers make that surprisingly tricky to do well.

A great photo of a tremendous structure, and I like the square crop. It looks like your processing was more forthright on this than some of your recent landscapes?

I travelled across this bridge in thick fog/low cloud. You had no idea you were actually on a bridge at all!

Processing wise you'd be surprised at just how little I did - other than clone out a ton of dust bunnies. Quick levels/curves adjustment and a sharpen. There was a lot of contrast from the deep shadows that come just before the golden hour in the scene anyway. Actually there was a slight cast so I did each individual colour curve to remove it.

The light really was super.

I wouldn't mind trying another tilt at this with a cloud inversion or something - that would rock. It's amazing to drive over and it's my preferred route back north.

FYI -this (or a variation of this) is my most successful commercial image. It's crass to talk about money but it's done exceptionally well for me. I like the square the most - but it's not the money maker as most like the room to the left.

Last edited:
Processing wise you'd be surprised at just how little I did - other than clone out a ton of dust bunnies. Quick levels/curves adjustment and a sharpen. There was a lot of contrast from the deep shadows that come just before the golden hour in the scene anyway. Actually there was a slight cast so I did each individual colour curve to remove it.

The light really was super.

I wouldn't mind trying another tilt at this with a cloud inversion or something - that would rock. It's amazing to drive over and it's my preferred route back north,

It looks like the sort of light you get immediately after a cold front has passed through, then. Deep shadows as you say and crystal clear. None of the haze and dust you get during an anticyclone!

I could imagine spending quite a bit of time around here (if I lived in southern France, that is.....). If there's one structure in the world that improves the landscape, it has to be the Millau viaduct Have you been to the gorges just to the north-east? One is the Tarn the other's name I forget. Quite stunning in places........

It looks like the sort of light you get immediately after a cold front has passed through, then. Deep shadows as you say and crystal clear. None of the haze and dust you get during an anticyclone!

I could imagine spending quite a bit of time around here (if I lived in southern France, that is.....). If there's one structure in the world that improves the landscape, it has to be the Millau viaduct Have you been to the gorges just to the north-east? One is the Tarn the other's name I forget. Quite stunning in places........

Gorges de Verdon - not yet but on the list for this year (if the weather plays ball). I agree - normally I don't like man made objects in the landscape but this makes it.

More of the same this year - Pyrenees mainly and trying to get some Autumn colour and a bit of hill top snow (hopefully at the same time).

Back