the moon

Edit My Images
Yes
hi everyone
This is the first photo i have posted and the first attempt at the moon please feel free to photoshop it and leave comments good or bad.This photo was taken with a 350d using a sigma 70-300mm apo lens
cheers.

IMG_3504htebest.jpg

It does look a touch soft, did you try sharpening it much?

I used that combination for a while, and it can produce some very sharp results (just not in my hands, I was useless :D)

Impressive moon shot though! I may attempt this sometime.

great shot james, this is really good concidering your new to it all, i haven't managed a Moon shot i could keep as yet.
keep posting mate..

Maximus, that's a nice first attempt. :clap:

A couple of questions.
Why ISO 200 and why f5.6.
It's necessary to keep the shutter speed above 1/60th since the moon does travel across the sky faster than we think.
Therefore a slower shutter speed would introduce motion blur.
1/1250 sec is, however, overkill.
ISO 100 and f8 or f11 on a tripod with mirror lock and cable release, bracket using the shutter speed and use RAW.

A little contrast, burning and sharpening improves the image IMO.

Hope this helps. (y)
moon2.jpg

All good advice from above, but there is one other thing to remember. A full moon is always going to give you a fairly flat image as the light is square onto it. Wait until the moon is just over half, by that time you have some side lighting giving far more contrast to the texture of the moons surface :)

Faster than 1/60? Really?

Engaging brain, 'you are right to question that speed'. I have just checked me library and I've got a few shots I did of a daytime moon shot at 1/13 sec at f40 off me 100 - 400L. The detail isn't as good as when I dropped to 1/100 at f14, but there is certainly no sign of motion/movement blur :)

You could be right though, I honestly have no idea :D

Faster than 1/60? Really?

Never managed a decent shot of the moon yet but from what I've read there is a similar "rule" to the "Sunny 16" called "Moony 11" - apparently a good rule of thumb is to use f11 and a speed in tandem with your ISO so if ISO is 100 you should use a speed of 1/100 (ISO 400 speed 1/400) - there are loads of threads on this on Nikonians (www.nikonians.org for the interweb challenged)
HTH - Paul

thanks to you all for the kind comments,and thankyou garnock for improving the shot.

Why ISO 200 and why f5.6.
i was just testing out with gave the best results by changing different settings and adjusting it slightly and that gave the best result from about 30 shots.

Back