Beginner The most overshot location in the Lake District!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

My first post here and a little nervous to say the least! I feel like a big fish outta water!

As I'm new into all this I literally don't know anywhere to go locally and have took many pictures but have just not felt they are good enough to post. I managed to get some filters and thought I'd get myself to 2 locations that I knew, which are also used very often! As you can see the Ashness Jetty is 1/3 under water as we've had a lot of rain!

Critique certainly welcome, but I will say that to begin with I'm just getting to grips with the camera and how it works more than the composition of the image.

Thanks for looking,

Dave.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qo75c8]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pHwoKJ]
[/url][/url]

Hi Dave

I'm no expert with landscapes but I wold say that if these are your 1st attempts you've done really well (y) & who care's if the locations have been shot before many times....not by you they haven't ..
Pick of the bunch for me is #1....I love that you got few fluffy clouds , some lovely light hitting the hill to the right , a nice lead in line with the river & the exposure & sharpness look good overall :clap: The only slight niggle is the water seems to have a gone just past the " I love that milky look" limit for me ( but that's a personal thing) , if you could pull it back a smidge then for me , the image would be just perfect :)

Thanks blondie. Means a lot to get good comments as I've spent a fortune in fuel driving about and had nothing! But today just felt right. I was a bit late getting out but paid off as Skiddaw was nicely lit.

I didn't want such a high aperture but was on Manual and kind of overlooked it. I've been very surprised how little shutter speed you need for the misty effect. Perhaps I'll speed it up a bit next time!

Thanks for your comments!

Dave.

They are very good for a first attempt. I agree with blondie regarding the water. Also, maybe my eyes or screen but they seem a little soft. Where was your point of focus.
Where a bouts are you based in the UK ??

Based in Workington, Cumbria.

Focus point was the bridge looking at the data. I did notice afterwards I had the aperture maybe a tad high, I've had a few problems with defraction at f/22.

Thanks for your comments, will speed up shutter speed next time.

Dave.

I would have tried focusing a bit further behind the bridge, maybe the end of the ridge on the right or the trees in the background. Have a read of hyper focal distance. Generally for everything to be sharp a general rule is to focus about a 3rd into the scene.
I thought from your username that you were from over my neck of the woods. The word marra threw it for me.

Last edited:
We don't see that many of the bridge perhaps because the trees have grown up a fair bit compared to the postcard views - and in summer you can hardly see the lake!
I think the classic view is from slightly further up and maybe on the other side, which perhaps helps get a slightly less centred composition as well as seeing more Derwentwater.

Nothing wrong with trying to get some classic shots especially with some uniqueness like weather conditions or some lucky extra interest - could be ducks lined up on that pier out of season

Last edited:
Not a bad set for a jameater
I would geuss that focus should be no further than the bridge on the first two shots.
The light is quite nice on these I prefer the shot with the clouds myseLf.

Last edited:
You can find a Dof calculator HERE

If you focus at 2.5m using f11 on your EOS M at 18mm Dof will be from 0.94m to infinity the hyperfocal distance at f11 is 1.53m or at f8 it will be 2.15m

I would also usually prefered a shutter speed under 1 second myself.

HAHA! Jameater! Lets not go down that road!

4wd - problem was someone had parked a car just over the bridge, any higher and it will have been in the shot. I've got some looking up the way, same story, people in the shot!

Kena - I'll take a look thanks, as I'm just getting to grips with the camera there's so much going on I tend to overlook things. I've had a play and I can lock the AF at a given point no matter if I move the camera, which will help for next time!

You can find a Dof calculator HERE

If you focus at 2.5m using f11 on your EOS M at 18mm Dof will be from 0.94m to infinity the hyperfocal distance at f11 is 1.53m or at f8 it will be 2.15m

I would also usually prefered a shutter speed under 1 second myself.

So are you saying I should've used f11?

So are you saying I should've used f11?

Dave
f11 would be sharper than f22 but the trouble is getting the focus right as I imagine the 18-55 has no focus scale on it. If you can get the focus right then under f16 would be better on that sensor size.
As for my comment about shutter speed I suggest you try different speeds to see which look youi prefer and also remember it will vary from day to day and location etc.

These images are a good start BTW

Thanks alf. I understand what you mean. I have a 22mm lens too. I'd been out previously at the derwent at 30 seconds and realised I had to speed it up a bit but possibly on this shot not enough. I guess it's the faster flowing the water the faster the shutter speed required (roughly).

Again great stuff for a beginner. The F stop is always going to be down to individual taste. I would have gone for F13-14 and focussed on the far edge of the rocks in the foreground but that's just me. Don't be afraid to crop out a feature less sky in PP. I feel too much empty sky "can" spoil a picture.

Look great to me, going up that way this weekend and looking forward to it.

I'd say they are great pics never mind for a first attempt. It seems it's a bit of s tough audience here. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your shots. :)

What a great start! No 1 for me too. Can I ask what filters you invested in did you go down the Lee route or find some other brand?

Great pics.
I posted my first attempts a few months ago and got a lot of encouragement, which has helped me gain some confidence.
I hope you are also encouraged by the comments in this thread.
Personally I think the iconic images are a good starter for us, if we cant shoot a half decent image of such photogenic places then its unlikely we will be able to adequately capture the more challenging.

First attempts / first posts?
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Back