Critique The Mound At Warwick Castle

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I have finally got Lightroom after using Light zone / Gimp / Pixlr etc and I must say its an amazing piece of kit and works very well so I am expecting some great results when I am fully up to speed on it.

I think I have a little way to go re processing as I think some of the clouds are now blue and it shows but for a first attempt, what do you all think? Don't be shy as I have put Critique in the prefix so feel free to rip it apart as long as its constructive :)

The Mound at Warwick Castle by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice colourful image, I don't know if it's my monitor at work but there looks to be a halo on the centre turret

Thanks. Currently at work at the moment and cannot see this on my screen but we don't have top quality monitors where I work either so there could well be a halo. It may be the clouds that I'm not quite happy with causing the issue re the halo. I will have a look when I get home as you are mostly going to be correct with your diagnosis.

Anyone else see what John sees or have any other comments / suggestions?

Definite 'sharpening' halo around the tower, the left tree is too close to the edge and it needs a crop off the bottom to remove the sign/whatever.
Composition otherwise works well but it suffers from strong light/shadow which it looks like you have toned down, this has resulted in a loss of 'pop' to the final image

Highlight removal is very high on this one which seems to have been its downfall, but I didn't put a lot of saturation in at all.

Totally missed the sign at the bottom - good spot and thanks for the other pointers. I will have a play later on tonight and see if I can make it better

Got back from work and had a look at the photo again.

I can't do anything with the crop as its how the photo was taken originally.

I can clearly see the halo now. I have gone back to the original photo and the halo is showing in there as well so no matter what I do with this its always going to show unless I can find a tutorial on how to remove this from the original images (shouldn't be an issue with RAW photos from the DSLR but alas I don't have this shot on my DSLR). I have also added a bit more shadow in that I removed originally.

Back