The nations favourite.

Now that's a calendar shot if ever I saw one, beautifully framed! Even nicer viewed at full size in Flicker, the level of detail is stunning.

Last edited:
As above, some great detail in there, is this PP`d in HDR by any chance ?

Fantastic photo evokes the steam era so well and I think it works so well in colour not so sure ir would be as powerful in black and white but then what do I know truly stunning [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Hi Graham, the shot was processed normally in PS 2019 with just a slight contrast boost using Nik Pro Contrast plugin, no HDR.

I keep re-visiting this pic. I know just what Graham meant, because there is so much even mid-tone and very bold colouration, plus the steam looks really solid and not vaporous. It's a really striking image, and you're very much to be congratulated for capturing it, but just doesn't look 'natural', if that matters.

Fantastic photo evokes the steam era so well and I think it works so well in colour not so sure ir would be as powerful in black and white but then what do I know truly stunning [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Absolutely love it
Many thanks, appreciated.
the steam looks really solid and not vaporous.
The exhaust from a steam locomotive is not always white and "vaporous", it depends on lots of factors, the weather conditions, the quality of the coal, whether the locomotive is working hard (which it was) etc.

For a more 'natural' look then perhaps dial back the contrast a notch or two, however, the exhaust from the funnel looks right to me for a working steam engine in winter, barking its way up a hill under load. On the other hand, as it's a larger than life engine, perhaps it deserves a slightly larger than life portrayal?

Either way, despite the slight difference of opinion on the processing/rendering of the shot, I stand by my initial comment of it being a cracking calendar photo. (y)

I think that's quite possibly one of the best images of Scotsman that I have seen in a long time - great capture :)

Brilliant, end of.

Fab shot! 'nuff said.

Back