Wild The Non-Birder Bird thread • Communal

G5908%201D.jpg

I have far too many shots like this with missing wing tips !!

Then, welcome to the club! Not all birds agree to stay
at a decent distance from my 600mm ƒ4 … with simi-
lar conséquences, as well!

You and I know what's wrong here… but I and you know
it's the bird's fault… of course! :D

I would have rotate that take 90° to the right, though! :cool:

Then, welcome to the club! Not all birds agree to stay
at a decent distance from my 600mm ƒ4 … with simi-
lar conséquences, as well!

You and I know what's wrong here… but I and you know
it's the bird's fault… of course! :D

I would have rotate that take 90° to the right, though! :cool:

That would put its parting on the wrong side..? :exit:

G5922%201D.jpg

I might stick to raptors less of them but far easier to photograph

…you got that right, Martin… but always worth a try! :p
I rarely had that luck. :(

Like giant seagulls, they hang around the wharf and wait for bits of fish from the locals fishing nearby.

Only had a 150mm on m4/3 so it would have been to small an image but sometimes instinct takes over.

PA300074.jpg

G6603%201Dp.jpg

Does this count?

Do you think this is an achieved picture? What could it illustrate?
…or do you feel that it lacks something? Would you object to bin it?
… or would you elaborate on the story, approach, final use? :cool:

In my view it failed as I missed the end of the beak. It was one of several shots I took of puffins it took that day. I was OK with static birds but not when they were in flight, this one almost made it.

I was OK with static birds but not when they were in flight,

Maybe you want to consider settings that would
support your efforts like BBF, Manual mode, sin-
gle point C/H AF, Auto ISO…

I used to regard birds in flight as a good challenge and became passably good at it. I found that you needed a smaller aperture than normal as the birds always needed a greater dof than usual and you needed a faster shutter. This meant that you always needed very good light and/or very high ISO. The best location was to find a good spot along the birds flight path. This can only be done by careful observation of the birds habits, wind direction etc. It is good fun, but very time consuming. I rarely do it anymore as I haven't got the time required to do it well.

Maybe you want to consider settings that would
support your efforts like BBF, Manual mode, sin-
gle point C/H AF, Auto ISO…

Thanks but I am just trying to understand if this picture fits the brief for this thread.

I shoot birds in flight at f11. It is not possible to get wings in focus at f8 if the bird is large in the camera frame. With the A7R2 I suspect I would need greater than f11, but since I don't have a good telephoto for it, I haven't tried.
I always use the lowest ISO possible, but sometimes compromises are needed.

Thanks but I am just trying to understand if this picture fits the brief for this thread.

In the OP spirit, I would say maybe not… unless you
can answer positively to the suggested questions.

I used to regard birds in flight as a good challenge and became passably good at it. I found that you needed a smaller aperture than normal as the birds always needed a greater dof than usual and you needed a faster shutter. This meant that you always needed very good light and/or very high ISO. The best location was to find a good spot along the birds flight path. This can only be done by careful observation of the birds habits, wind direction etc. It is good fun, but very time consuming. I rarely do it anymore as I haven't got the time required to do it well.

I agree it is not easy and like you time is a limiting factor. I would like to say better equipment would help but most of the issues are down to me with poor technique and fieldcraft.

Never having seen a puffin, I don't know how they fly, but I suspect choosing a good angle when on a cliff edge isn't going to be easy. Good luck.

How about this one. An Azure Kingfisher sleeping. He wasn't too impressed when I disturbed his sleep.
_74Z9939.jpg

Last edited:
I like that… Kingfisher's colours!

Fits the brief! Thanks.:cool:
Like most people, I did try to fit the birding ideal, but the standard bird shot gets a little boring after a while. I now much prefer the shot that includes the environment and, where possible shows some aspect of the birds life or personality. I'll have to dig up some more. I suspect I have quite a few.

I now much prefer the shot that includes the environment and, where possible shows some aspect of the birds life or personality.

Music to my ears, Steve! :)

This guy was trying its best to look good
but he was too close to my lens…

G6844%201D.jpg

Back