The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Hi all, I'm a relative newbie around here, great forum by the way.

I've ordered an X30, we all need 3 cameras right?

Can't wait to get it and get shooting :)

You'll love the X30 Gregg, I've had the X20 for quite a while and have had an X30 for about a week now and although there is no upgrade in image quality the userbility of the X30 is far superior.(y)

George.

3.... I suppose 3 is OK as a start but certainly not enough unless you are on a diet.

Hoooorah, X30 arrived a few hours ago, I LOVE IT! Excellent price from digital rev, and arrived in 4 days in a roll of bubble wrap as always :)

Initial thoughts - ease of use excellent, size perfect, IQ superb, forgot it has a zoom which is damn handy, wifi so easy and quick to get images onto iPad etc, macro depth of field impressive, auto focus speed superb, tilting screen a massive bonus, and film simulations are great.

I can see myself only using jpegs with this camera, they just look so good.

In short, it's a fun camera to use, it's all about being creative which I love.

A few snaps in between work just now!

View attachment 28256

View attachment 28257

View attachment 28258

View attachment 28259

View attachment 28260

So it appears my xf1 isn't fixed at all. It keeps beeping and the focus box changes to green as if focus lock is achieved then I take the picture and they're all OOF. Seems to be at f1.8

Have had several "card error" messages too

Are you still having issues? I have begun to experience the focus lock being a bit hit and miss. Also at F1.8 the images seem more mushier and less sharp. I am not sure if it a psychological thing but the camera is behaving differently since coming back form a fix.

I am enticed by the Fuji X100T but don't want to fork out over the odds for poor quality control.

I've sent mine away again, along with sample images.

I won't buy Fuji again because (a) this shouldn't happen in the first place and (b) when a camera is sent for repair, it should be fixed and tested properly which mine clearly hadn't been.

Shame really as the images were lovely

I had a similar experience with Nikon. I purchased an 18x200mm lens, it broke, they fixed it, it broke, they fixed it, it broke again out of warranty, they then wanted more than the lens was worth to fix it, so I binned it and have never bought Nikon since.
Was it just my bad luck to buy a duff lens, if I had had the next one off the shelf would that have been the same, who knows?
They had pi**ed me off, so I went to Fuji and have been reasonably happy, though I did have an X10 that the shutter fell to bits on.

Rhodese.

After selling on the Sony RX100 after less than a week due to no auto ISO in manual, It was my first little foray with the X20 and the kids. In the main I enjoyed using it. The manual zoom really helped chasing the kids. The dual wheel to control shutter/aperture worked well too allowing me to quickly change the settings without worrying too much about the ISO.

Seems like the sensor doesn't like ISO 3200 for me, appears its limit is 1600 on first play, but not a deal breaker.

I seemed to accidently press some of the four way wheel controls a few times whilst just holding it, which was annoying. Sure i'll get used to switching it off instead as it come back on so quick. Also, lack of auto lens cover lead to sticky fingermarks. lol.

No way is the X20 anything put coat pocketable, not trouser like a RX100, but maybe i'll get used to it?

Took some really nice shots of the kids, so happy days. Not sure whether i'll keep the camera long term, we'll see, but I think i'm gonna want the slimmer profile of a RX100/Canon G7X. Don't know.

Here's a few from this afternoon.

Botanical Gardens, Sheffield this with a lovely glow from the late afternoon sun. Not sure i've quite done it justice though. :)

Is this seat taken?
by Zarch1972, on Flickr

Thieving Little Fingers
by Zarch1972, on Flickr

The botanical gardens bear by Zarch1972, on Flickr

Another one using the lovely late afternoon glow of the sun. Look closely and you can see the bogey's of a 5 year old...... why do my children ruin my pictures? ;)

B
ogey Glow by Zarch1972, on Flickr

Last edited:
Walking home from the village, X10 slung round neck, didn't think I'd get to fire off a shot today but there was some nice contrast with an approaching storm. Just got in before it struck!
Not straight OOC, I initially did a b&w conversion but then the blue sky was missing [yes, really!] .

Storm by Farmejim, on Flickr

3? Only 3? Hell, I had 3 at one point then got into photography!!! Can't say for certain how many I have at the moment - somewhere between 10 and 20 at a guess. Compared to some people that's nothing!

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better as I just bought an x pro 1 and I've got my eye on a Ricoh GR!

I've just joined the club... picked up an X30 over the weekend. It's taking some getting used to having only used my SLR for the past 5 years but seems a lovely piece of kit. Looking forward to having something that I can carry round daily, as magnesium-bodied SLR gets a bit heavy...

I've just joined the club... picked up an X30 over the weekend. It's taking some getting used to having only used my SLR for the past 5 years but seems a lovely piece of kit. Looking forward to having something that I can carry round daily, as magnesium-bodied SLR gets a bit heavy...

You'll love it they are a really great bit of kit, should you ever get into a bit of Macro/Close Up photography then the Raynox clip on lenses work really well with these cameras at the longest lens setting. The results are "Excellent".(y)

George.

Excellent! Have fun with it, it's a great little camera :)

You'll love it they are a really great bit of kit, should you ever get into a bit of Macro/Close Up photography then the Raynox clip on lenses work really well with these cameras at the longest lens setting. The results are "Excellent".(y)

George.
And this little item lets you screw the Raynox straight onto the camera rather than using the clip-on adapter.

And this little item lets you screw the Raynox straight onto the camera rather than using the clip-on adapter.

I'm afraid you've got that wrong Jonathan, It might work with one of the Raynox lenses but I use either the DCR-250 or the MSN-202 and they have different mounting threads to the adapters, ie one clip on adapter will not take the other one. Both adapters clip onto the camera lens from 52mm upwards so if you use the screw on adapter section that is part of the accessory lens hood then the Raynox clip on adapters will all work with that.

George.

Here's a snap taken on the X30 during last night's caving reccy trip.
I'm building up to taking the 5DIII down with me and am using the X30 to experiment with lighting and work out how to solve the underground photography challenges. I also need to become fitter in order to just get to get to some of the locations with my gear!
The 5DIII is going to be a pain in the proverbial as it won't fit in the waterproof barrel with the lens attached to the body; I'm still working that one out.
The X30 is doing well, the only reason for needing the DSLR is to get a wider focal length as in this photo I'm already stood as far back as possible; needs to be about 1/4 frame wider.
View attachment 29153

Edited to add...
The back-story and more shots are on TP in this thread.

Cave Photography - advice needed!

Last edited:
Very nice Duncan, I see those Fuji colours work just as well on a X30 underground as they did on the X10 in the light!

Since this camera has been around for a while, it's maybe a surprise there isn't a wide on-lens adapter as for the X100 family?

Duncan, would an XF-1 give enough extra width? IIRC its lens is a bit wider at an EFL of 20mm at the wide end - could make just enough difference?

Cheers both :beer:

@Nod - yes it probably would!
I didn't realise there was such a big difference in focal length compared to the X30...
However, the way to go is definitely the 5DIII.
The 5DIII will allow me a slightly faster shutter speed using the same lights so I can get a bit more texture in the moving water, and I already have a lush 8-16mm fish-eye which the long end will be perfect for what I have in mind.

But that's well over 3K's worth of kit which makes the X30 look like performance bargain of the century, even if I am battling a little bit with the excessively telephoto focal length (it's all relative).
And I'm still struggling with how the heck I'm going to get the DSLR down there!

Just printed out the caving shot on A4 and it looks stunning!
Way crisper than I'm getting while viewing the same shot on TP and even better than it looks on my Nexus 7 (full HD screen).
The caver in the shot will be dead chuffed with the print (and so am I).

I loved my X10 right from the start and despite reading some negative opinions in this thread I have found the X30 is a significant step up from the X10. Fingers crossed I don't get any of the reported problems!
The X30 totally delivered the goods with this caving shot - no way my big DSLR would have done better (at that focal length).

X30 :clap:

Last edited:
David's right, the XF is 25-100 EFL and the X-?0 is 28-112. MIGHT be enough to make the difference but a negative for the XF is the lack of a hotshoe which could well be a deal breaker if using external lighting.

Wondering if one of the screw in fisheye type adaptors would be any good with a step up ring or 2?

I'm afraid you've got that wrong Jonathan, It might work with one of the Raynox lenses but I use either the DCR-250 or the MSN-202 and they have different mounting threads to the adapters, ie one clip on adapter will not take the other one. Both adapters clip onto the camera lens from 52mm upwards so if you use the screw on adapter section that is part of the accessory lens hood then the Raynox clip on adapters will all work with that.

George.
It works with the DCR-150 so should work with the 250. You don't need any of the Raynox-supplied adapters, just the step-up ring from the camera's native 40mm to the 43mm thread on the back of the DCR. Here you are - X30 plus step-up ring and DCR-150:

fuji-150.JPG

Last edited:
It works with the DCR-150 so should work with the 250. You don't need any of the Raynox-supplied adapters, just the step-up ring from the camera's native 40mm to the 43mm thread on the back of the DCR. Here you are - X30 plus step-up ring and DCR-150:

I didn't doubt that it would work. What I said was it may work with one of the Raynox units but not all of them with the same ring. The DCR-150 (which I don't have) so I can't comment on that but I take your word on that it works perfectly well.

The DCR-250 is a 43mm mount thread which is apparently the same as your DCR-150 mount thread.

However the MSN-202 which I also use is 37mm mount thread. I really can't see the point of purchasing two (in my case) extra rings to mount the Raynox units on my X-30 when the adapters supplied work perfectly well (all of them) with the adapter ring that came with the hood for the camera.;)

Plus I also use the Raynox units with my "Nikon 105mm Micro" (52mm thread), and also with my "Fuji 55-200mm" (62mm thread).

That's a whole lot of extra rings to have, six in all in my case just to mount the Raynox units when the adapters supplied work perfectly well. That may work for you but it certainly wouldn't for me.

George.

Having sent my XF1 for a fix in November for lens issues it seems to be poorly again. The focus box changes to green but the pictures come out of focus or it won't lock focus properly and goes from green to yellow back and forth or just shows red focus error even though it worked well prior to the lens replacement. I have no idea how going to explain this one for a fix again!

It also fell apart last night when trying to take some group family photos. The flash nor the f1.8 could combat the mushy images produced in living room light.

This frustration is wanting me to get a replacement camera. Any ideas on what to potentially replace it with? The main use will be to capture my baby growing up and family gatherings be it candid or posed shots. I just preferred the small size so it could go everywhere with us rather than relying on the DSLR kit.

If you're looking for pocketability it's hard to look past the Canon S series. Others like the Sony RX100's, but having briefly played with a Mk2 in a shop it struck me as too big for a trouser pocket.
Personally, I'm giving serious thought to getting an LX100. Pricey, but I'd probably sell my 12-40 to cover it. I may even ditch my MFT ILC kit altogether, although I'd miss the 45/1.8. Not a pocket camera by any means, but I usually have a manbag so that's no problem.

If you're looking for pocketability it's hard to look past the Canon S series. Others like the Sony RX100's, but having briefly played with a Mk2 in a shop it struck me as too big for a trouser pocket.
Personally, I'm giving serious thought to getting an LX100. Pricey, but I'd probably sell my 12-40 to cover it. I may even ditch my MFT ILC kit altogether, although I'd miss the 45/1.8. Not a pocket camera by any means, but I usually have a manbag so that's no problem.

I am not always worried about portability because I either keep the XF1 in my jacket pocket, hold it in small case ot drop in the baby bag when out. I had decided against the Canon S120 in the past because of the small sensor and the RX100 I may consider is the M3 due to the viewfinder which I prefer to better compose shots and stability.

I have been mulling the LX100 as that seems like a jack of all trades with a nissin i40. I do have a Lumix G3 with the 20mm but the LX100 would give more flexibility for family situations as I find that too slow to focus for candid stuff. I am also wanting the 17/1.8 & 45/1.8 for my G3 if the LX100 doesn't suit.

Back