The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

It does happen! (TBH, it's usually the shrinking them in PP that I try to avoid - the resizing and cropping in the baby Xs makes it a lot easier!)

I love my little X10, it goes everywhere with me, relatively safe in the leather ERC slung over shoulder but I would love to have an EVF and a better RAW or do I mean easier RAW? I find it very hard to improve the JPEG output on the X10 whereas the RAW from my XF1 is easy to work with.

RAW capability was one of the things that attracted me to the X10 but I have so far found it to be disappointing. One reason is possibly that the sensor is just too small to hold enough information to make it worthwhile, another, and probably the most important reason, is trying to find software that will handle it properly. ACR will do it but I've only been able to produce fairly coarse images. I'm sure someone will now post a beautiful X10 image processed from RAW but I've more or less decided that as the JPEGs are so good I'll stick with them and use the DSLR for RAW. I've found that Photoshop is surprisingly good with X10 JPEGS.

Last edited:
I use a combination of Lightroom and PS for my X20 RAW files, and am generally happy with the results. Not quite DSLR quality, but for my purposes, more than good enough.

@Merluza Yup - the X10 JPEGs are fabulous; if they float your boat then stick with them.

The baby X cameras have never been good for pixel peeping; don't do it!
However, print an image to A3 and you won't be disappointed.
I've used X10 images processed from RAW in exhibitions and portfolios and you can't really tell the different with images from the 5D2 (or 5D3) unless the big camera pulls a stunt like extreme focal lengths or shallow DoF.
As I've only printed above A3 a couple of times, the X10 image quality is more than good enough for my purposes.
The only gripe is that certain blues aren't converted as well as the in-camera JPEGs, but I've always been able to live with it.

RAW is definitely worth taking if you are struggling with White Balance or want to pull amazing amounts of detail out of the shadows. Works a treat.
If in doubt; take both RAW and JPEG :)

Duncan's pretty much said all that needs to be said about the baby X's files. Unless you NEED to do some fairly extreme PP to lift shadows etc., just use the JPEGs the cameras throw up out, they're plenty good enough for almost every shot. IIRC, the difficulties for raw software lies in the deviation of the X's raws from the Beyer pattern of red, green and blue pixels.
I've got quite a few A3+ prints from mine (I've got or had all of 'em apart from the XQ) as well as a load of 24" wide panoramas using the in camera stitching. Where they do fall down on the panoramas is that they often give some banding across them rather than having the exposure locked down across the whole series of shots but at least digital panoramas don' cost anything other than the few seconds it takes to twist through the scene!

11062-1428589208-d298fb6fcdd2dcd243fbcfe2625cc854.jpg

I thought the Sensor was on the way out on my XF1, until I realised it was at f/11. I really did think I had the lens wide open. But hand held indoors at f/11 :oops: :$

11063-1428589215-ce5dc9605ddb5c5f59b9975e722bd65c.jpg

The same scene at f/1.8 please excuse the mess, I did tidy up after I finished messing about with the camera. I really did think the camera was knackered for a moment !

Whoa - that's not right!
Why keep so many empty bottles in the kitchen :)

The one with the red top is a full bottle of Vodka, gold top bottle has a shade under half left. While the bottle with the white top, has shot or two bacardi waiting to be necked ;)

My first contributions to the thread in the way of pictures taken with my X10. Acquired at the end of last year I've used it quite a bit but only recently getting the best out of it.

These two were taken over the Easter Weekend and while the first is straight OOC, I've run a cross-processing filter on the second..........just because I wanted to.

Loving this little camera!!!

Last edited:
I can do you a straight swap, Duncan!

Bu99er!

My XF1 is over exposing very badly, it only seems to be doing this when the lens is at 50mm or over. Hope the camera is not knackered. Just checked the receipt, dated 24/03/14 so warranty is out :confused:. Just have to do a little more testing, and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it !

My XF1 is over exposing very badly, it only seems to be doing this when the lens is at 50mm or over. Hope the camera is not knackered. Just checked the receipt, dated 24/03/14 so warranty is out :confused:. Just have to do a little more testing, and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it !

I was actually thinking of trying to pick up a 2nd hand XF1, but there really seems to be too many starting to show faults. I've got a Sony RX100 which is very pocketable and has a bigger sensor, but having 4 other Fuji cameras I thought the similar control method would outweigh the slightly bigger size and smaller sensor. Not so sure now :(

I was actually thinking of trying to pick up a 2nd hand XF1, but there really seems to be too many starting to show faults. I've got a Sony RX100 which is very pocketable and has a bigger sensor, but having 4 other Fuji cameras I thought the similar control method would outweigh the slightly bigger size and smaller sensor. Not so sure now :(

I have an X10 and the XF1 both cameras do produce nice images, when they behave that is. Really loved the quirkiness of both cameras, and have enjoyed using both, even though the XF1 screen is hard to see in daylight.

Will have to see if I can live with it as a 25mm or 35mm camera, as anything at 50mm and above is hugely over exposed.

PS

Or I could just use it for videos, as recording video is not affected.

Last edited:
Uh oh. I hate to be the doom monger but that's how mine started playing up. I predict within 2 weeks all your photos will be green or magenta.
I would still contact Fuji though - it might be out of 'official' warranty but given how many XF1s have failed, it's clearly an inherent fault at manufacture so should be covered by the 6 year limit of the Sales of Goods Act.
Nowt wrong with asking (nicely)...

Uh oh. I hate to be the doom monger but that's how mine started playing up. I predict within 2 weeks all your photos will be green or magenta.
I would still contact Fuji though - it might be out of 'official' warranty but given how many XF1s have failed, it's clearly an inherent fault at manufacture so should be covered by the 6 year limit of the Sales of Goods Act.
Nowt wrong with asking (nicely)...

I think a green hue has already started to creep in :confused: , I will assume the Camera is knackered then. Don't really think I will get much joy from Fuji. Time to start looking for another small pocketable camera I think.

Whilst drunk, I told my daughter that I'd buy her a camera, no money to by her a camera, so she is now the proud owner of a X20 :(. I told her that she must read the manual to get the best out of the camera, suffice to say I received a :mooning:

Cheers :(

11116-1428919938-90b6cbe5721216551401fe4c9a10052e.jpg

Been out and about taking photos with the XF1, when the ! LENS CONTROL ERROR flashed on the screen. It is now reluctant to take photos! Looks like my little XF1 has now come to the end of the road, after only a year!

Oh well, at least I now have a spare battery for my X10

John, given the number of people who have reported the same problem, it has to be worth contacting Fuji about that issue, The worst they can do is say "Tough" and they may well do the necessary work FoC - got to be worth an e-mail!

I feel left out! Ive seen so many comments about this happening to the XF-1, and im just waiting for it to happen to mine now :D

John, given the number of people who have reported the same problem, it has to be worth contacting Fuji about that issue, The worst they can do is say "Tough" and they may well do the necessary work FoC - got to be worth an e-mail!

Already contacted them about the overexposure and other little niggle problems it's developed. Contacted them on Friday, not heard anything back so far.

I feel left out! Ive seen so many comments about this happening to the XF-1, and im just waiting for it to happen to mine now :D

Not a nice feeling seeing so many malfunction, and wonder will mine be next. I had the same fear :(

I am sort of accepting that fuji probably wont do anything about it. So I will just move on and have loads of fun deciding what other small pocketable camera I can now go out and buy.

Little hint, it might not be a fuji even though I loved the images from them.

I am sort of accepting that fuji probably wont do anything about it. So I will just move on and have loads of fun deciding what other small pocketable camera I can now go out and buy.

Little hint, it might not be a fuji even though I loved the images from them.

The Sale of Goods Act says that your camera must be fit for purpose.

It must be as described. It must be of satisfactory quality, sufficiently durable, free from any defects.

If you've ignored the manufacturer's warnings and have been leaving the camera out in the rain, then you probably haven't got much of a case.

But if the camera has been lovingly treated and has still conked out that suggests something may have been wrong with it at the very beginning.

It works like this. For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong.

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, you are not going to be overly gutted. If your camera is unuseable after the same time span you have every right to be annoyed and seek redress from the manufacturer.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

The Sale of Goods Act says that your camera must be fit for purpose.

It must be as described. It must be of satisfactory quality, sufficiently durable, free from any defects.

If you've ignored the manufacturer's warnings and have been leaving the camera out in the rain, then you probably haven't got much of a case.

But if the camera has been lovingly treated and has still conked out that suggests something may have been wrong with it at the very beginning.

It works like this. For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong.

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, you are not going to be overly gutted. If your camera is unuseable after the same time span you have every right to be annoyed and seek redress from the manufacturer.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

Just a little over a year old, so I don't think fuji will be interested. They have not even bothered to answer my messages!

Just a little over a year old, so I don't think fuji will be interested. They have not even bothered to answer my messages!

An email or letter containing the words "Sales of Goods Act" "Trading Standards" "unfit for purpose" and "repair, replacement or compensation" usually works in my experience.

An email or letter containing the words "Sales of Goods Act" "Trading Standards" "unfit for purpose" and "repair, replacement or compensation" usually works in my experience.
Will give it a try, if they don't reply to my last message.

Thanks

Already contacted them about the overexposure and other little niggle problems it's developed. Contacted them on Friday, not heard anything back so far.
Customer Services for a company like this will tend to only work normal office hours, so I wouldn't expect an a response over the weekend. I normally give a full working week before chasing, unless the company has a stated target response of sooner.
By comparison - when my dehumidifier broke, it took DeLonghi 5 WEEKS to send a reply, and even then it was effectively "we're not interested". I had a much better experience from Fuji, although I was 'fortunate' that my XF1 failed whilst under manufacturer warranty.

Just got a reply from them

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM UK. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your camera. Please return the camera to our service department for an inspection with a copy of proof of purchase and send via special delivery, also mention the warranty has just recently expired. Please visit the link to prebook your camera blah blah blah

When I visit the link, it asks to fill the repair form out. It says ( if your camera is not within warranty, we will give you an instant repair price. ) So not sure if they are going to make me pay. I have just emailed them, saying I do not intend to pay for a manufacturing fault. Just wait now and see what they say.

Last edited:
Might be worth trawling back through this thread and seeking out all the posts from people with the same problem. The more evidence you can supply that the fault in yours isn't an isolated case, the better your chances of a goodwill repair. Hopefully they'll come back to you with good news rather than an expected cost. Keep us informed! (Luckily, both mine are currently behaving themselves but I'm touching wood all the time!)

Back