The One Show, Russel Tovey and Dog Brains

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't rate Tracey Emin as much of an artist but by 'eck she knows how to pull the wool over people's eyes. Tonight on The One Show there was an actor called Russell Tovey gushing embarrassingly over this: Dog Brains (with a backwards N)

I'm sure beauty (and art) is in the eye of the beholder but tell me, am I missing something very big here, apart from, presumably, the eye-watering amount someone might pay for this?

Interestingly, you cannot find a price for a print of this picture -- all the galleries say POA -- I assume because they are as embarrassed as I would be when telling someone how much their desire for three minutes work by Tracey Emin would cost them.

Last edited:
I like Tracey Emin and glad she overcame her recent cancer issues.
Poor woman had an awful lot of surgery, so pleased it was not in vain.
Has also helped try to rejuvenate her run down home town of Margate.

Not got much to do with her art, that.

My view on art is this - if you have to try too hard to appreciate, understand or be persuaded that something is good, then walk away, because the chances are that the so called piece of art is a load of ****.

I know nothing about art but I know what I like, is pretty much my view on art. If my grandchild drew that would it be considered art by any of the experts.

Art shares some basic characteristics with religion...
  • most people ignore it;
  • some people talk nonsense about it;
  • few people understand it;
  • a very few people get rich from it.
:naughty: :coat:

Don't like it? Move on. Art is supposed to trigger emotions in us, but not everyone will be affected in anyway by it.If its not for you so be it

Last edited:
Not really a question of like or don't like. Sometimes I like the simplest of paintings/sculptures/drawings but I really like to think I've got my money's worth. Take this painting for example:

The Haywain

John Constable spent a lot of time on this painting, compare it with this:

You Never Said Goodbye

If Tracey Emin spent more than ten minutes on this it was because she had to go to the loo halfway through and to be honest, it's just rubbish.

I expect John Constable got paid the square root of sod all when he did his painting and Mz Emin possibly didn't suffer for her art in the same way and got shed loads of money -- and continues to do so. I've spent more time getting a decent picture of my dog.

Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes constantly springs to mind when confronted with 'art'.

I don't understand this fascination with collecting art because it's popular and 'de riguer' no matter how bad it is; perhaps I'm just a Philistine. I do like opera and ballet though so I can't be a complete TOWIE watcher (whatever that is).

I expect John Constable got paid the square root of sod all when he did his painting and Mz Emin possibly didn't suffer for her art in the same way and got shed loads of money -- and continues to do so. I've spent more time getting a decent picture of my dog.

Back in the 70's when I was 18, I worked for a large local authority. One day, my boss asked me to help him move some artworks from the Treasurer's safe to the county library. One of the pieces drew my instant attention, it was simple, small and full of detail and movement - J M W Turner "Ramsgate". It was then my task to carry it 50 yards or so across the road to the library. I have no idea how much it was worth, but it is now in the Tate.

Last edited:
Not really a question of like or don't like. Sometimes I like the simplest of paintings/sculptures/drawings but I really like to think I've got my money's worth. Take this painting for example:

The Haywain

John Constable spent a lot of time on this painting, compare it with this:

You Never Said Goodbye

If Tracey Emin spent more than ten minutes on this it was because she had to go to the loo halfway through and to be honest, it's just rubbish.

Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes constantly springs to mind when confronted with 'art'.

I don't understand this fascination with collecting art because it's popular and 'de riguer' no matter how bad it is; perhaps I'm just a Philistine. I do like opera and ballet though so I can't be a complete TOWIE watcher (whatever that is).

An ex of mine collected art, mostly by a Belgian artist who's name I forget. I suppose her collection was mid range, £40k-60k or so a painting. It's not something I'd think about investing in as prices could skyrocket (after the artist dies?) or they could drop. Actually she also had some hand made traditional central asian jewellery which to me could sit nicely in any art collection or museum as it was/is simply stunning and to me much more impressive than anything by that Belgian.

I haven't been to my local modern art gallery for a while as most of it stuck me as poorly executed juvenile junk. Some was more a well executed technical process but that in itself isn't art, imo, as if it was a well designed circuit board is more appealing to me and probably has more artistic merit. I do like to think that the art I'm looking at was produced by an artist with some ability and vision not someone just talking up something completely devoid of any true art, like an unmade bed. That may be a comment on something and a talking point for art school types but it may not be art to many of us.

Last edited:
yet you're discussing her at length, so Emin has provoked an emotion in you.

Last edited:
I think the import thing with art, is not what the art is, but who the art is done by.

Nobody would buy a lovely drawing by Jonbeeza. But they would certainly buy a stencil of a pile of poop, Banksy style, done by Banksy himself.

Last edited:
yet you're discussing her at length, so Emin has provoked an emotion in you.

Indeed it has, incredulity for the most part. I feel fortunate that [arts grants apart] none of my money is going to fund this garbage and she and her ilk, are only fleecing the gullible. If her only desire is to provoke irritation in me she merely has to be unable to reverse on a narrow road, of course that won't pay quite as much.

I don’t think the time taken to execute an artwork is at all relevant. I could spend years creating a picture and it still wouldn’t be any good or saleable. It’s surely more about the artist and the value that’s attached to them. Had Picasso or Van Gogh drawn a sketch in 30 seconds on the back of a cigarette packet, it would command a fortune today. It’s all about the perception of value.

I remember reading about Banksy himself selling his own original artwork in New York (I think it was) a few years ago for a pittance and only had a handful of customers because they didn't 'value' what he was offering, due to the low prices, location, circumstances etc. It was an attempt I think to demonstrate the 'value' of art and its absurd and volatile nature. I imagine the few purchasers who bought were delighted though.

As you said @ShinySideUp '(Art) is in the eye of the beholder' :)

Back