The only thing better than one Christmas bauble ...

Love images - that smile is a killer - love it

May I ask how this was lit please, I'm guessing one large softbox??

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
"Excellent" work Ma'am, nuff said.(y)

George.

Les
One very large softbox out front, and a bit from the far right back, gridded with a showercap on...

Do you adjust the rear one to taste Beth? It’s not that noticeable to my eye and so does it provide a touch of separation?

Sickeningly good as always Bethy. Can't even see any cloning required....... apart from maybe a little on the red bauble mid distance on the right with some fluff on it? Probably not. Probably just my monitor :rolleyes:
Great connection with baby and love the lighting - how on earth do you do this and make it seem so effortless? :mad:

Great work,
Jim

Do you adjust the rear one to taste Beth? It’s not that noticeable to my eye and so does it provide a touch of separation?
It's there... you can see a bit of a forward shadow on some of the baubles.
I like ... no LOVE my gridded softbox, but the falloff sometimes isn't quite as desirable for babies, so the light in the back just give it a little extra bump, just skimming things where the falloff from the front softbox should be. Or that's my intention anyway... :)

Sickeningly good as always Bethy. Can't even see any cloning required....... apart from maybe a little on the red bauble mid distance on the right with some fluff on it? Probably not. Probably just my monitor :rolleyes:
Great connection with baby and love the lighting - how on earth do you do this and make it seem so effortless? :mad:

Great work,
Jim
Thanks Jim... :) Yea, it's fluff. The stuff was everywhere... it was from their trousers.

How do I do it? Not sure really... I don't think I'm doing anything special. I think a lot of it is taking loads and loads of shots... with babies, law of averages and all that, bound to get some good ones :) But that's also my downfall as it takes me ages to cull...

It's there... you can see a bit of a forward shadow on some of the baubles.
I like ... no LOVE my gridded softbox, but the falloff sometimes isn't quite as desirable for babies, so the light in the back just give it a little extra bump, just skimming things where the falloff from the front softbox should be. Or that's my intention anyway... :)

I can see it on the furthest bauble and falls away perfectly by the front one to be almost intangible. Interesting you adding fill from behind, some like from the side and others swear by on axis. I don't think it matters too much myself have tried all. I know you love your grids, I don't think I've really made mine sing yet, if anything I've moved away from them in favour of my rotalux's (gridded softboxes I have are Bessell and one Lencarta strip) which just seem a better box.

I think a lot of it is taking loads and loads of shots... with babies, law of averages and all that, bound to get some good ones :) But that's also my downfall as it takes me ages to cull...

A very good top tip that. One thing I have learnt is the need to keep firing, the slightest change of expression can make all the difference. I guess Jim's are nearly always asleep :)

Oh the baby's expression in the first is priceless.

Baubleicious

Les

Fab. Too much to like here :)

I'm thinking the pants are my fav bit !

Gaz

"Excellent" work Ma'am, nuff said.(y)

George.

Great work,
Jim

i think these are fantastic
i see loads of cute baby photos on my virtual travels but very few stand out like these

fab-u-lous!!

gorgeous!

Superb, a great example of how a photograph tells a story.

Oh the baby's expression in the first is priceless.

nice ... great work

Thank you everyone, for all the wonderful feedback. I tend not to post so much anymore, more of a voyeur, but hopefully helping out when and where I can. But it sure is nice to have that pat on the back from my fellow photographers. We're all on this wonderful journey together.

Thanks again, everyone. I really do appreciate it. :)

Back