The Pillbox

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
These things have always fascinated me.

When the Second World War broke out in 1939, measures were taken to defend the Northumberland coastline from a potential German invasion. The castle was used as an observation post and the site was refortified with trenches, barbed wire, a mine field and pill boxes as you can see here.

Tried a little tweak with curves in PP - totally understand it won't be to everyone's taste but the more I do it the more I kinda like it.

Canon 5DMK2
Tamron 17-35 @ 17mm
Hitech .6 Soft Grad
0.3 Seconds
ISO 50
f11

Defense by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Hi Danny

I like the contrast of Dunstanburgh in the background with the pill box but the processing doesn't work for me. I think this shot would be more suited to a moody/darker processing or even B&W?

Hi Danny

I like the contrast of Dunstanburgh in the background with the pill box but the processing doesn't work for me. I think this shot would be more suited to a moody/darker processing or even B&W?

Thanks for the feedback Adrian - I know exactly what you mean about the processing, I thought about a contrasty B&W but didn't want to completely lose the nice golden light. The processing is still very much an ongoing project :)

colours look a bit wishy washy looks faded so not to my taste sorry

I think this worked for your photo of Bamburgh, but the light here is less suited to this processing style. An interesting photo though with nice light, I don't think I have seen this before.

Thanks - you're right that the processing is definitely suited to some shots rather than others.

It's a fantastic place with loads of history.

I don't think this one works personally

The scene just doesn't do anything for me and the colours look washed out

I agree it needs more contrast but you can always go back when the sky is more interesting. A polariser might have helped.

Many of these old structures are in danger of collapsing or being washed away as they're in the region of 75 years old and had no maintenance.

Back