The Pleiades

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
The Pleiades, also known as the Seven Sisters and Messier 45, are an open star cluster containing middle-aged, hot B-type stars located in the constellation of Taurus. It is among the nearest star clusters to Earth and is the cluster most obvious to the naked eye in the night sky (along with Orion, Big Dipper and the Little Dipper).

The cluster is dominated by hot blue and luminous stars that have formed within the last 100 million years. A faint reflection nebulosity around the brightest stars was thought at first to be left over from the formation of the cluster (hence the alternative name Maia Nebula after the star Maia), but is now likely an unrelated foreground dust cloud in the interstellar medium, through which the stars are currently passing.

Computer simulations have shown that the Pleiades were probably formed from a compact configuration that resembled the Orion Nebula. Astronomers estimate that the cluster will survive for about another 250 million years, after which it will disperse due to gravitational interactions with its galactic neighborhood.

1 hour and 45 minutes of light frames were taken, and calibrated with darks, flats and bias frames.

The Pleiades by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Nice capture Joel.
What set up did you use?

Reactions: smr
Thanks Mark, this was taken with my HEQ5 Pro, Rowan Belt Modded mount, and William Optics ZenithStar 73 telescope.
Ah, the belt modded variety, i'm thinking about getting mine done. Would you say it is worth the expense given that i use a polemaster for PA and PHD2 for guiding?
PS: did you use a DSLR?

Ah, the belt modded variety, i'm thinking about getting mine done. Would you say it is worth the expense given that i use a polemaster for PA and PHD2 for guiding?

My partner (who mainly uses a CCD camera) has the HEQ6 (I think) and has done the belt mod. He also uses a polemaster but I'm not sure which guiding system. He and a friend did the belt mod - well, my partner did most of the work and the friend gave him patience and moral support. He thinks it was worth it.

I bought my HEQ5 Pro with the Rowan Belt Mod so I can't compare it to the non modded HEQ5. I think it is supposed to improve tracking and is definitely quieter than with the mod though from what I have heard.

Yes I have a Canon 80D.

Last edited:
I bought my HEQ5 Pro with the Rowan Belt Mod so I can't compare it to the non modded HEQ5. I think it is supposed to improve tracking and is definitely quieter than with the mod though from what I have heard.

Yes I have a Canon 80D.
Thanks Joel. I think i'll maybe not bother, i can happily get 5 min guided images which is about the limit from my back garden and LP.

Reactions: smr
Thanks Joel. I think i'll maybe not bother, i can happily get 5 min guided images which is about the limit from my back garden and LP.

I would be happy with 5 minute guided images. I've just bought my first guide cam which arrived today so I'm looking forward to getting it up and running.

Too cold for me at the moment but we have had some lovely clear skies, looking forward to seeing some of your captures.

Lovely image. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent work (y)

Back