The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

I still have the MK1. Ace little camera. For the extra money I don't see the MK2 worth it.

I needed a new phone so was contemplating whether to get a mid-entry phone and a new P&S like the G7X II or just get a high-end handset to capture snaps and video when not using my main camera.

I've had the G7X I in the past and found it's burst in RAW slow and only offered 60 FPS in video so wanted a few of the newer features. I've seen the G7X II listed for a decent price but just weighing up the options.

Last edited:
After much deliberation between the G7X mkII, Sony RX100 mkIII and Panasonic TZ100, I settled on the G7X mkII (thanks in part due to the special offer I managed to get on it).
The main reasons I went for it were the superior zoom to the Sony, touch screen (which the TZ100 doesn't have) and also, the clunkiness of the EVF on the Sony put me off the idea. Also it feels the best in the hands and this was important to me.

I haven't done a lot with it yet, but took a few test shots this weekend.
All of these are full auto with no PP. Loving the quality but the DOF is incredibly tight. Need to remember to adjust the aperture more!

Folder Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwM17Tw

A few shots:

G7x mkII first shots. Full auto, no editing.
by Steve B, on Flickr

by Steve B, on Flickr

by Steve B, on Flickr

by Steve B, on Flickr

by Steve B, on Flickr

by Steve B, on Flickr

19950-1526234494-1147b4a4695a6346f618b3b9905305e6.jpg

Not many using the Canon G7X ? I wonder if it is worth reviving this thread?

A quick photo with the Canon G7X mk11. I am liking things so far.

I haven't actually used mine as much as I thought I would. The only reason really is due to having difficulty with the auto focus. I can't get it to a point that I'm happy. So many photos I take are out of focus. I don't have this issue with my DSLR...

I forgot about this thread. I still use mine.
Great for video clips too,

I haven't actually used mine as much as I thought I would. The only reason really is due to having difficulty with the auto focus. I can't get it to a point that I'm happy. So many photos I take are out of focus. I don't have this issue with my DSLR...

Do you use center point on it or all points?

I use touch focus, seems to be doing a good job. Only had the camera about a month or so. Still learning where all the settings are.

Perhaps you've forgotten the touch screen capabilities?

There are many AF settings in the menus. However things are only as complicated as you want them to be. In any shooting mode, simply touch the screen for your instant focus point.

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread. I still use mine.
Great for video clips too,

I have now put away my DSLR, as I use the G7X instead. Yes, it is great for video. Very impressed with the video quality. :)

I set mine to SERVO, it helps with moving subjects.

My default setting is Av mode with AF Frame set to 1-point ... never forgetting I can make use of the Exposure Comp dial.

If I'm taking shots with moving subjects, it's probably because I want the motion blur.

This was taken in Tv mode at 1/8 sec with ND Filter on.
ZzmGF1RTgiKvEt0GW2nyovLYtjCvW6TroRnd_XsbRUqaUwXn9b1E4fdFN-iCvMFEyAcU_wk6OWLYgFes_VLMmfXUsiWm8fUsWuK43zz-USULA06wvpid6yLnzuKA46-WwPmW_yIteC6un_19LRMDMn8pGx4rmWh500YCJ7tOgUmj6Oa9uDfShNhUVLFsXZc99QTfFuI5Qi8ferIyWBi3qB2pKx8U4_5x-L7M1dHtUgWZwvMenET8SI9p3hTE8fQaG90olK8P0iMNRGR_kUyZOcvnuYZKW8ktcNm3Mq6Cr7q6HLGgIssZbWuBrK967nQnHcoFV6QFrK9u2aOJ2RUWg02huqXUMHwLTpXfYzogtOe0F6ij84uYCd2EinGmjZNIXReipz0HA4ufmcMAHyoNfZ5RBeaHkx2kRQlciQbA56Y15Y0MgefMm2IQrp_DZ1ArpwwfMZdlPv4eodGfPgvk8uX7gclhC2cT3KSGvImL4FYaxM1DBewsItKrQL_i62mubKm67f3OX3C5aKwmoeYRROwt5e6mBtTF4hVCSL8mM-jj_pdM-YBiYlYmkJqJb5Q27uN75zjri7Wxd5Jr1njbE4c6Q_Gnd2aY4QO-py4=w1015-h605-no

Last edited:
My default setting is Av mode with AF Frame set to 1-point ... never forgetting I can make use of the Exposure Comp dial.

If I'm taking shots with moving subjects, it's probably because I want the motion blur.

This was taken in Tv mode at 1/8 sec with ND Filter on.
ZzmGF1RTgiKvEt0GW2nyovLYtjCvW6TroRnd_XsbRUqaUwXn9b1E4fdFN-iCvMFEyAcU_wk6OWLYgFes_VLMmfXUsiWm8fUsWuK43zz-USULA06wvpid6yLnzuKA46-WwPmW_yIteC6un_19LRMDMn8pGx4rmWh500YCJ7tOgUmj6Oa9uDfShNhUVLFsXZc99QTfFuI5Qi8ferIyWBi3qB2pKx8U4_5x-L7M1dHtUgWZwvMenET8SI9p3hTE8fQaG90olK8P0iMNRGR_kUyZOcvnuYZKW8ktcNm3Mq6Cr7q6HLGgIssZbWuBrK967nQnHcoFV6QFrK9u2aOJ2RUWg02huqXUMHwLTpXfYzogtOe0F6ij84uYCd2EinGmjZNIXReipz0HA4ufmcMAHyoNfZ5RBeaHkx2kRQlciQbA56Y15Y0MgefMm2IQrp_DZ1ArpwwfMZdlPv4eodGfPgvk8uX7gclhC2cT3KSGvImL4FYaxM1DBewsItKrQL_i62mubKm67f3OX3C5aKwmoeYRROwt5e6mBtTF4hVCSL8mM-jj_pdM-YBiYlYmkJqJb5Q27uN75zjri7Wxd5Jr1njbE4c6Q_Gnd2aY4QO-py4=w1015-h605-no

I still have to try out the ND filter, just wondering how effective it is?

Just been outside with the G7X, shooting wide open in bright sunlight. I had the ND filter enabled, exposure looks pretty good. I really am enjoying using this little camera. :)

Just been outside with the G7X, shooting wide open in bright sunlight. I had the ND filter enabled, exposure looks pretty good. I really am enjoying using this little camera. :)

I'm really enjoying it too, after two years I'm still learning, still amazed.

I think you'll find the integrated ND filter does little to improve results in this harsh sunshine.

A polarising filter is one that's needed, but unfortunately we don't have one.

As far as I know, ND filters are for long exposures, and motion blur. Works for me. ;)

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying it too, after two years I'm still learning, still amazed.

I think you'll find the integrated ND filter does little to improve results in this harsh sunshine.

A polarising filter is one that's needed, but unfortunately we don't have one.

As far as I known, ND filters are for long exposures, and motion blur. Works for me. ;)
I am still finding out what this neat little camera can do, probably take it out for another session tomorrow. :)

19955-1526373451-c94a58ae2b0e958079ce863228c8efd6.jpg

I am really loving this tiny little camera. SOOC Jpegs are pretty good, and I am very happy with the RAW conversions. The G7X is now my everyday and take anywhere camera. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Do you use center point on it or all points?
I have it on continuous, centre point, servo, 1-point AF.

Perhaps you've forgotten the touch screen capabilities?
There are many AF settings in the menus. However things are only as complicated as you want them to be. In any shooting mode, simply touch the screen for your instant focus point.

You're right. I've certainly not been using the touch screen to its full potential.

I took it out on Sunday just into the garden for a bit more of a tinker. I think one of the issues is slight laziness by leaving it in auto mode. I have noticed that in Auto, the aperture is always set to as wide open as possible, so in many cases the DOF is extremely narrow. And it is much less forgiving than my D7000 even at the same f/ stops.

I took lots of photos of flowers at different apertures and found that when using touch focus, it would focus generally in the area but the DOF was so narrow often this makes the pics look OOF.
This can also be easily seen when photographing my Labrador, where her eyes are in focus but her nose is significantly out - and vice versa. I guess I just need to start using the correct modes!!! Maybe shifting "AF frame size" from normal to small would help too?

One question I have, is that in P mode I get a little asterisk on the right of the screen. Pressing it displays aperture and shutter speed, but I can't figure out how to change these. They are stuck on f/1.8 and 1/30 (unless you can't in P...)

Time to RTFM!!! :( :exit:

One question I have, is that in P mode I get a little asterisk on the right of the screen. Pressing it displays aperture and shutter speed, but I can't figure out how to change these. They are stuck on f/1.8 and 1/30 (unless you can't in P...)

Time to RTFM!!! :( :exit:

In P mode after you have pressed the asterisk, you can change both shutter speed and aperture. This is done by turning the little dial, on the back of the camera. When the dial is turned, shutter and aperture change simultaneously.

Last edited:
I took it out on Sunday just into the garden for a bit more of a tinker. I think one of the issues is slight laziness by leaving it in auto mode. I have noticed that in Auto, the aperture is always set to as wide open as possible, so in many cases the DOF is extremely narrow. And it is much less forgiving than my D7000 even at the same f/ stops.

I took lots of photos of flowers at different apertures and found that when using touch focus, it would focus generally in the area but the DOF was so narrow often this makes the pics look OOF.
This can also be easily seen when photographing my Labrador, where her eyes are in focus but her nose is significantly out - and vice versa. I guess I just need to start using the correct modes!!! Maybe shifting "AF frame size" from normal to small would help too?
I will play around with different focal lengths and things later, see if there's a way of overcoming this ... shallow dof. :thinking:

Re "AF frame size" ... I have mine on small always. I think bigger can mean less accurate, as, regardless of size, it's just a single focus point. :thinking:

Last edited:
The PDF manual could be better, some things are either hard to find or not mentioned.
I like the PDF manual!

Have you tried hitting Ctrl+F (find) and typing in something like AF frame size ? It will take you to every mention. Beware, sometimes you need a space before or after the word/s

If you can't find something it may be because you're doing Nikon speak instead of Canon speak .... exposure value or ev is an example, Canon call it exposure comp

I like the PDF manual!

Have you tried hitting Ctrl+F (find) and typing in something like AF frame size ? It will take you to every mention. Beware, sometimes you need a space before or after the word/s

If you can't find something it may be because you're doing Nikon speak instead of Canon speak .... exposure value or ev is an example, Canon call it exposure comp

Just tried it, seems to give pretty good results. Thanks for that little tip. (y)

In P mode after you have pressed the asterisk, you can change both shutter speed and aperture. This is done by turning the little dial, on the back of the camera. When the dial is turned, shutter and aperture change simultaneously.
Thanks! Worked perfectly! So simple when you know how. I didn't know the dial turned. [emoji15]

Not had a chance to try the camera out on the street yet, only used it in the park and indoors. Just wondering how it performs, getting street scenes? I am pretty sure it will fair pretty well, judging what I have seen so far. :)

Can anyone please recommend a case for the camera? I've read some negative reviews about the genuine leather one falling apart...

Can anyone please recommend a case for the camera? I've read some negative reviews about the genuine leather one falling apart...

ACANOBC205282703.jpg

I've got one of these and I love it, goes over my shoulder under my jacket. I was shocked to notice a bit of wear on one bottom corner after about a year, probably caused by it rubbing against my belt as I walked - I do a lot of walking - I now wear it up a bit and that's fine.

Not sure if it will accommodate the Mark ll :thinking:

I will play around with different focal lengths and things later, see if there's a way of overcoming this ... shallow dof.
Hi Steve

Just reread your post
You had this problem shooting Auto so I think you know the answer .... Av or M mode. :)

Not had a chance to try the camera out on the street yet, only used it in the park and indoors. Just wondering how it performs, getting street scenes? I am pretty sure it will fair pretty well, judging what I have seen so far. :)
You can get away with a whole lot more .... It's so small and discreet. The tilting screen means you can shoot from from the hip! :)

HERE are a couple of examples (posted earlier) of the sort of street I like.

Last edited:
ACANOBC205282703.jpg

I've got one of these and I love it, goes over my shoulder under my jacket. I was shocked to notice a bit of wear on one bottom corner after about a year, probably caused by it rubbing against my belt as I walked - I do a lot of walking - I now wear it up a bit and that's fine.

Not sure if it will accommodate the Mark ll :thinking:

Seeing how much the camera costs I was thinking of getting a case for it, as it is an expensive bit of kit to get damaged. Trouble is, the camera will no longer be pocketable. Not sure if I will get a case, I will probably have good hard think about it.

You can get away with a whole lot more .... It's so small and discreet. The tilting screen means you can shoot from from the hip! :)

HERE are a couple of examples (posted earlier) of the sort of street I like.
Looks good, can't wait to get out and use it for street scenes.
Thanks for that. :)

Back