The Ravages of Time

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a week away in Norfolk and spotted an old, dead tree in a field near the cottage we were staying at.

It looked to be quite a simple shot as you could park the car next to the fence then just walk a few yards and get the shot.

I hadn't counted on how inquisitive the horses in the field would be.

To get under the fence I had to put the tripod to its lowest setting and push one of the legs under the fence - one of the horses decided that nibbling the tripod leg would be a great idea.

The other horses decided to protect the tree and gathered around it. There was one Donkey in the field and that thought it was best to keep telling me off by coming over every 5 minutes and braying at me.

So - in the end it took 2 trips and a lucky break when the farmer appeared and fed the horses - well away from the tree :)

The Ravages of Time by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Lovely image that Dave. Love the sharpness of the tree against the sky. Another take with the horses in the shot may have been nice too?

Lovely image that Dave. Love the sharpness of the tree against the sky. Another take with the horses in the shot may have been nice too?

Thanks :) - most of the shots I have with the horses in are blurred as I was going for the long exposure or have a horses head blocking most of the image as it chewed on the rubber adjusters on my tripod :)

It was very gentle - I did have visions of it dragging the tripod / camera / lens through the fence and me having to chase it across the field to get it back :D
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If it's any consolation, I once got chased by a herd of cows though a field and whilst trying to make a hasty getaway through a fence, I came to the realisation that it was an electric fence when it caught the inner leg as I climbed through. It was my first assignment for the local rag and I was supposed to be taking a photograph of a guy walking through the River Humber as he emerged from the water onto the beach. Instead, I was trying to detach myself from the fence as it looked like I was performing some kind of wierd Hokey Cokey everytime I received a shock. Plus, I didn't get the picture.. .. .. ..

Wow that's a banger of a photo! Love it, well done that man, love how sharp the tree is and that moody sky looks ace.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If it's any consolation, I once got chased by a herd of cows though a field and whilst trying to make a hasty getaway through a fence, I came to the realisation that it was an electric fence when it caught the inner leg as I climbed through. It was my first assignment for the local rag and I was supposed to be taking a photograph of a guy walking through the River Humber as he emerged from the water onto the beach. Instead, I was trying to detach myself from the fence as it looked like I was performing some kind of wierd Hokey Cokey everytime I received a shock. Plus, I didn't get the picture.. .. .. ..

Cows can be pretty scary when they work as a group. Still a great story :)

"Excellent" shot, and very nicely presented in mono.

George.

Back