Studio The reason I get up in the morning [ new edit added]

Nicely lit portrait, but it looks like you have extended the canvas area and tried to darken a lighter background causing the "halo effect" on the shadow sides hair. This is all easily seen by simply right clicking the image and selecting open in new tab.
Try and go with the original background to see how it looks.

Thank you both for commenting. Steven you're completely correct. I up loaded the unfinished image by mistake. Bob, no need to be sorry , the opinion of others is why I posted, thank you.

I think you have gone a little too far with the adjustments to the eye in the light and too harsh with the light source.

Some good comments here. It's a nice portrait, but for me it's too tight. The black "spacer" you've added doesn't add any space because it's obviously not part of the picture. The light itself would benefit from coming down a bit and round a bit more towards the camera, or perhaps a reflector to get some light back into the darker areas of the image - the other eye in particular.

The halo effect that Steven mentioned is quite pronounced too.

Was the background an issue? If you've done pp to reduce it, and cropped in tight to hide it, then probably the single biggest improvement to this image would be to shoot it somewhere else :)

Thanks everyone for the useful comments. I'd have to agree with all actually.
Just did a quick edit to the shot trying to take in some of your suggestions

The lighting doesn’t quite work for me on this one. If I was approaching this I would start off with very even, flattering (but perhaps unexciting) lighting and once nailed the basics then start to experiment with side lighting and some Rembrandt lighting.

Well that shows how much I have to learn then. I noted the issues with background in the first shot, but thought "wow!" in the second. I'd have been very happy if I could get anywhere near that quality.
She does have lovely eyes though.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and considered critiques. I think I need to admit to myself that I like this shot perhaps more than it deserves simply because of the "model" ;)

I think I need to admit to myself that I like this shot perhaps more than it deserves simply because of the "model" ;)

Fixed for you :)

It's easy to lose oneself in the process of getting the perfect shot without considering the subject. The Ansel Adams [reversed] quote of 'better to have a fuzzy image of a sharp concept' than the other way around kinda applies here. I would spend far more time enjoying an image of a loved one even when I messed up the shot, than I would a perfect shot of a random model in a studio session. When the subject means very little to me, so does the image - no matter how well taken.

The feedback you've had is all impersonal stuff. I mean - how weird would it be if *they* said they liked it because of the model? (We even have rules *against* saying that in critique) The fact that you agreed with some of it, and re-edited, shows your willingness to learn. Some of the things said may stick in your head for next time, and that's one way you will improve.

Lighting aside, the re-edit significantly improves the image for me. But what's most important is what do you think?

No1, I think its slightly out of focus too :(

Les

As above some great comments here and it’s a nice try at using a main light source, maybe re shoot another time using just window light and perhaps a reflector or something on the unlit side? The softness of window light is sometimes some of the best available.
Nice effort and the idea is perfect
All the best
Mark

Back