The Red Arrows - Tornado

Edit My Images
Yes
I was at East Fortune for the anual air show on Saturday. The weather was fairly grim for flying just at the time the Red's where due to start and got progressively worse only 5 min into their display. At least we seen them and they gave it a go... but safety must come first and whilst disapointed what I did see and photograph was awe inspiring as usual. Unfortunately an hr later we had blue skys and they prob have done a full rolling display... but hey ho... that's life!

So here you have it... Tornado!

I'd like to open this up to a general discussion on settings also... I tend to go ISO800 for such a clowdy day, set the lens to f8 to give me a little DOF and also find if I go too low an F number you often get to the max shutter speed of the camera. But I struggle with air show photography in that my highlights in the sky often blow out and the planes can still be under exposed in the shadows. Any tips!?!?

Tornado! The Red Arrows by Captures.In.Time, on Flickr

Great image.

Whatever works. I suspect the DOF would be fine using whatever f stop at these distances as long as you are happy with your lens. I'd happily try my 400mm 5.6 or 70-200 f/4 wide open without any reservation.

Great image.

Whatever works. I suspect the DOF would be fine using whatever f stop at these distances as long as you are happy with your lens. I'd happily try my 400mm 5.6 or 70-200 f/4 wide open without any reservation.
Yes your defo right DOF shouldn't be an issue at those distances... it's more about controlling the shutter speed to keep it below the max and always think my lenses perform best about f8. The biggest issue for me is defo underexposure of the subject and overexposure of the sky.

Back