The Ruins

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes

The Ruins
Whitby Abbey
Whitby, North Yorkshire, England UK

Whitby Abbey is a ruined Benedictine abbey overlooking the North Sea on the East Cliff above Whitby in North Yorkshire. Perched high on a cliff, this splendour ruins served as an inspiration in creating the Gothic tale “Dracula".
The place is surrounded by stone walls without any gates to get in. Wandered around the area back and fort looking for the entrance, only realizing that the place is already closed! Seeing the light is fast fading away, I did what most photographers will do: carry out an impossible mission! :)

You have some haloing around tge upper abbey, and along the hill on the right hand side, probably caused when bringing out shade side detail.

Other than that though, it's a rather lovely shot.

Beautiful shot, lighting is excellent in my view

Stunning, as said the sun in the abbey really sets it out..One for the wall me thinks..

Great image and echo the comments above! Will you be getting it printed? Reminds me I really must head over to Whitby at some point...

Stunning shot. I love how you have caught the sun in the Abbey!
Beautifully composed image with fantastic colours.
Stunning, as said the sun in the abbey really sets it out..One for the wall me thinks..
Great image and echo the comments above! Will you be getting it printed? Reminds me I really must head over to Whitby at some point...

Thank you! :)
@Ferj, the place looks beautiful, I didn't manage to get around the place though..

Personally I'd clone out that pole on the far right as it draws the eye a bit but the rest of the image is lovely.

Stunning image and as said above, cloning the pole might help.It has all the elements land,water and skyline.

Nicely done, but I'd clone the poles also

Excellent shot. I visited the abbey a couple of months ago. Excellent composition to get all of the abbey within the frame and some context

Great drama and power in this one, I like it a lot,-- nice work John

Geoff

Going somewhat against the grain it looks very soft to me, I reckon the abbey has been overlightened too and you need to remove the halos. Other than that it has a nice summery vibe, you could imagine it on a postcard

Great drama and power in this one, I like it a lot,-- nice work John

Geoff

Nice. Not seeing the haloing referenced in the first comment.

lovely sunset :)

Going somewhat against the grain it looks very soft to me, I reckon the abbey has been overlightened too and you need to remove the halos. Other than that it has a nice summery vibe, you could imagine it on a postcard

Thanks a lot guys! Appreciate all the feedback! :)

Back