The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think a lot of people forget that you can use the E-Mount stuff as well, fair enough those on the A7S wont want to but the A7R in cropped mode isn't bad at 15MP and the A7 is 10MP.

I think a lot of people forget that you can use the E-Mount stuff as well, fair enough those on the A7S wont want to but the A7R in cropped mode isn't bad at 15MP and the A7 is 10MP.
I think a lot of people forget how crap the AF is on e mount lenses

But for people after cheaper lenses you cant expect anything but a cheaper lens, cant have it both ways.

I might go the e-mount route for a macro lens the crop wont hurt and as long as its better than my old canon lens i will be happy.

Last edited:
A trusted source who has been right before says an 85G (f1.4?) Is coming...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...l-launch-a-85mm-g-fe-lens-soon/#disqus_thread

Seems to be a little surprising so close to the Batis and doubly so if it has a wider aperture but hopefully we wont have too long to wait to find out if this is true or not.

Also, the rumour site carried a report yesterday saying that the 85 Batis has heavy distortion...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firs...oto-new-zeiss-batis-lens-tests/#disqus_thread

Maybe those slack Germans should have left the design to the Japanese :D

Last edited:
A trusted source who has been right before says an 85G (f1.4?) Is coming...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-...l-launch-a-85mm-g-fe-lens-soon/#disqus_thread

Seems to be a little surprising so close to the Batis and doubly so if it has a wider aperture but hopefully we wont have too long to wait to find out if this is true or not.

Also, the rumour site carried a report yesterday saying that the 85 Batis has heavy distortion...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/firs...oto-new-zeiss-batis-lens-tests/#disqus_thread

Maybe those slack Germans should have left the design to the Japanese :D

An 85mm with distortion :confused:

On the 90mm Macro thread from DXO you quoted earlier in the week, theres a guy complaing the 9Omm Macro he's bought has grinding and flexing to the barrel. The Germans and Japanese seem to be as bad as each other;) So much for high end products @ a grand a piece, should have bought a Sigma and saved £600 :D

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/dxo-...utstanding-optical-performance/#disqus_thread

Dont you dare walk in here and be negative!! :p Zeiss 100 Makro is where its at anyway.

To be fair I agree the 55 is overpriced (as good as it is) because similar lenses on FF for Nikon and Canon are less than £150 (50mm f1.8) however £760 for the 70-200 is a bargain when you consider the Nikon 70-200 f4 is closer to £950!
Disagree completely. Neither Nikon nor Canon produce a ~50mm lens in the same class as the FE55. Having owned the Nikon f1.4G for years and having used the Nikon f1.8, and the Canon f1.4 and f1.8, none of them can even come close to matching the sharpness of the FE55 at f1.8 until f5.6 or so.

It's like saying a Mercedes is overpriced because you can buy a scooter for a fraction of the price.

Dont you dare walk in here and be negative!! :p Zeiss 100 Makro is where its at anyway.

Not that Canon or Nikon or any of the rest have ever had any quality issues :D Black spots, noise in the shadows, oil on the sensors, lenses that fall apart... the list goes on and it happens regardless of the manufacturer, it's just a fact of life and doesn't seem too related to supposed quality or cost so don't be surprised by reports of faulty Sony kit. Sh!t happens.

On the negativity, yup. I've pretty much given up with this thread to be honest. The amount of repetitive negative posts and bitching about the same issues from the same old same olds is way beyond what we see in other one make threads. Just compare what we see here to the various Fuji threads and you'd think this thread was a portal to DPReview. Makes me think I'm chatting to American 12 year olds.

Still, such is the joy of the net.

Disagree completely. Neither Nikon nor Canon produce a ~50mm lens in the same class as the FE55. Having owned the Nikon f1.4G for years and having used the Nikon f1.8, and the Canon f1.4 and f1.8, none of them can even come close to matching the sharpness of the FE55 at f1.8 until f5.6 or so.

It's like saying a Mercedes is overpriced because you can buy a scooter for a fraction of the price.

I don't think you've quite got the hang of this thread.

You're not supposed to engage your brain and come up with a logical argument. You're supposed to say "The Sony system just isn't delivering. Where's the £150 50mm f1.8? I can buy a Canikon DSLR weighing less than an A7 battery for 20p and mount any number of 5p lenses on it. No one should buy a Sony until they can match that."

It IS quite moany in here isn't it?

Sure is, and thinking about it one or two are just the same in the other threads but as I don't read them as often it just seems to me that they bitch more here when in fact they probably do bitch as much in other threads.

Not that Canon or Nikon or any of the rest have ever had any quality issues :D Black spots, noise in the shadows, oil on the sensors, lenses that fall apart... the list goes on and it happens regardless of the manufacturer, it's just a fact of life and doesn't seem too related to supposed quality or cost so don't be surprised by reports of faulty Sony kit. Sh!t happens.

On the negativity, yup. I've pretty much given up with this thread to be honest. The amount of repetitive negative posts and bitching about the same issues from the same old same olds is way beyond what we see in other one make threads. Just compare what we see here to the various Fuji threads and you'd think this thread was a portal to DPReview. Makes me think I'm chatting to American 12 year olds.

Still, such is the joy of the net.

Why you chose to type that to me instead of the original poster I'm not sure but imo and I've said this before is that Sony reliability is pretty damn good ime.

The net is a great place.

I see a lot of bitching going on about other people that's for sure.

Yup. And you seem to carry it on into other threads too. Like I said, am I talking to 12 year olds?

As an (ex) engineer I too can be highly critical and I do carry that on into this photography lark but I think that it's worth keeping an eye both on the competition and what Sony are trying to do. I don't think that the Sony system is perfect but personally I think it's heading in the right direction. Others disagree and there's room for that on the net but it's the repetition that I find irritating.

Tell you what. I'll take a break from this. I think I've got all the gear I need and my time on the net is limited these days anyway. Just hope that a little balance can be maintained instead of this repetitive Nikon/Fuji/Sony prices are too high stuff we seem to get every few pages in this thread.

I think perhaps the biggest issue for Sony is that expectations are so high and they simply can't cater for everyone. It seems that every man and his/her dog/cat/guinea pig wants a Sony full frame mirrorless camera to do something the same as / better than their existing kit, but in a lighter body and for the same cost or cheaper. That's hard for any new system, particularly when users want to attach their lenses from other systems and get the same/better performance!

I'm sure Sony will get it right soon, they are certainly innovative enough if they stick with their current technology path, and the a7r II looks like it could be a big success. I also suspect they will introduce cheaper lenses like the 28/2 in the future, but it takes time to build a system to suit everyone.

I still don't like the a7 though lol

Don't give up on us Alan! You and Twist are an invaluable source of info - even if it is sometimes contrary and contradictory - for us A7 tyros.

Btw, I do agree with Alan, there does seem to be a fair bit of unnecessarily negative comment on this thread.

Yup. And you seem to carry it on into other threads too. Like I said, am I talking to 12 year olds?

As an (ex) engineer I too can be highly critical and I do carry that on into this photography lark but I think that it's worth keeping an eye both on the competition and what Sony are trying to do. I don't think that the Sony system is perfect but personally I think it's heading in the right direction. Others disagree and there's room for that on the net but it's the repetition that I find irritating.

Tell you what. I'll take a break from this. I think I've got all the gear I need and my time on the net is limited these days anyway. Just hope that a little balance can be maintained instead of this repetitive Nikon/Fuji/Sony prices are too high stuff we seem to get every few pages in this thread.

I don't bitch about other people like you do though. That's what a 12yr old does, everyone just has a discussion and you go all Victor Meldrew on us.

It's a gear section, everyone's going to have an opinion and compare offerings from different manufacturers, I never started the negativity but as usual you chose to reply to me. I'm not really bothered as it's all just a bit of fun and I enjoy our debates as we can both bring something to the table.

And I agree, it would be a loss if you did leave this forum as you can offer a lot of info to people in this thread.... including myself.

Last edited:
Don't give up on us Alan! You and Twist are an invaluable source of info - even if it is sometimes contrary and contradictory - for us A7 tyros.

Btw, I do agree with Alan, there does seem to be a fair bit of unnecessarily negative comment on this thread.

There can be at times but there is in every thread. No gear is perfect, you and I know that more so than a lot of people with the amount of times we switch systems!

Comparisons are bound to come up, look at how many times we've discussed the pros and cons of a new purchase and how we and others chase the next big thing. It's not a bad thing imo to discuss issues as the manufacturers need to pay attention to consumers who spend a lot of money buying their products but of course we can also all see the positives when looking at our photos and forget about those issues for a while.

Last edited:
All good points but... there does seem to be more negativity, even hostility, here than there needs to be.

All good points but... there does seem to be more negativity, even hostility, here than there needs to be.
Not really. More like frustrations. Sony are very close to having a camera system that could be better then Nikon and canon in various ways.

We are frustrated because we love Sony to really shake up the market

There certainly is. You expect the occasional disagreement in any such thread, but when there's more of that than actual discussion and photos related to the cameras themselves, it's getting a bit silly.

Well, on a positive note, the Sony a7r gives me a camera system that is better than Nikon and Canon. For me, that means small and light, and able to take OM lenses. I don't care a fig about autofocus, which I've always found unrealiable on the DSLRs I've used (Sony Dynax 7D, Olympus E3). I was out today with someone who was using a Nikon D800E and I couldn't help but think how big it was. The OM system cameras were the ideal size for me.

Yes, there are things I'd like changed, or that aren't as good. But they aren't particularly important to me.

As to lenses - with no exceptions that I know of, all the modern lenses are far too big and heavy for me to comtemplate changing.

I'm with you Stephen, small and light is key. I also find the EVF and rear screen live view an absolute boon, the latter is far more usable than the live view on my erstwhile DSLRs. Also, the A7R sensor is very satisfying to my eyes - and I've owned a 5D2, D610, D800 and D800E so I have experience of some of the alternatives.

As far as modern lenses go, the Loxias are small, light and deliver the goods. I've got a Sony 35/2.8 on the way but if it doesn't deliver what I need, I know there's a Loxia out there, or I dig into the past for a Voigtlander, or Olympus, or Nikon, or Canon, or Pentax, or Leica etc. etc. that will :)

Last edited:
And, before anybody starts, I'm not a Sony fanboy. In fact, I'm a dedicated official Ricoh fanboy. Sony is just my latest squeeze.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I just Googled the 50mm f/2 Loxia and found it was more or less twice the weight, twice the length and twice the diameter of the OM 50mm f/1.8. That isn't small and light in my book, although it may well be compared to DSLR lenses.

And my disclaimer - if it's anything I actually want to make a good job of photographically then I'll still use 5x4 film to do it. I find a view camera gets less in my way than any other camera type.

I guess you are right there but coming from AF DSLRs, it seems small to me :) Also, it doesn't need an adapter so there isn't that chunk of tube between it and the camera.

Last edited:
I'll accept that I didn't factor in the adaptor. But it's only one adaptor to be shared between lenses. My bag today had the a7r with OM 85mm f/2, OM 21mm f/3.5 and OM 65-200 f/4 in it. That's 3 small light lenses plus one metal tube to attach them.

I will concede that the Loxia 50mm f/2 is smaller and lighter than my Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 :) (according to Google)

Last edited:

But it takes two to tango. Anyway, did you see the first electronic adapter for nikon F to E mount is out! It's slow on the older bodies but be interesting to see it tested on the new rii.

Its a shame the thread always ends up with people complaining about Sony. Don't like it don't come in here. It should be like the Rx100 thread i visit people discussing their settings and sharing pictures.
Any way is anyone using flash with theirs, i had the Nissin i40 briefly but it died shortly after, im thinking of giving it another go as it was the perfect size.

Its a shame the thread always ends up with people complaining about Sony. Don't like it don't come in here. It should be like the Rx100 thread i visit people discussing their settings and sharing pictures.
Any way is anyone using flash with theirs, i had the Nissin i40 briefly but it died shortly after, im thinking of giving it another go as it was the perfect size.
I don't like some aspect of the Sony system. It's a cool system but with flaws at the moment. Lens is king when it comes to photography and that's why I couldn't swap my 5d3 for any of the Sony bodies because the lens lineup is lacking real badly

6 pages without any photos (but lots of bitching), so...

I've never given the 28-70 any thought (in fact I sold the one that came with my kit without a seconds thought!), but I'm revisiting it now and I'm very impressed, it's staying as a backup.

RIAT 2015 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:

For sure, but the discussions are about Sony products and ways around the issues, lets see, what was discussed in the past few pages... well we looked at a lens for you, someone posted about a faulty sample of a new lens, someone posted about the supposed batis distortion, there were + and - for the 55 vs ART.

Im Mr. Negative yet I stood up for the price of the 55 vs other cheaper lenses, was confused how the user got distortion with an 85mm because thats pretty much impossible and its likely BS and tried to help you find a lens. If certain people didnt just pick out the posts where I make valid factual comparisons and they looked further than that they would notice I praise this camera a fair amount. Bloody hell some people are far to precious about their brand of camera. Ive owned plenty of Sonys and still do.

The first batch of Nissins were bad from what I read, you should be okay now. Perhaps go with Amazon for ease of returns.

6 pages without any photos (but lots of bitching), so...

I've never given the 28-70 any thought (in fact I sold the one that came with my kit without a seconds thought!), but I'm revisiting it now and I'm very impressed, it's staying as a backup.

Great photos. It really is surprisingly good for a kit lens. It certainly made me reconsider getting the 24-70mm.

Back