The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The first batch of Nissins were bad from what I read, you should be okay now. Perhaps go with Amazon for ease of returns.

I went with Amazon last time, there customer service is well worth any minor price difference. It was a top notch flash while it worked. Even on Amazon a few people had the exact same issue as me.

I went with Amazon last time, there customer service is well worth any minor price difference. It was a top notch flash while it worked. Even on Amazon a few people had the exact same issue as me.

Agreed, usually a retailer would want to make it a warranty claim etc. which is annoying.

Pretty sure you should be okay now, cant see them sending out old stock. I have read quite a bit into this flash and want to get one for my Sony A's, looks a great compromise of size/performance. Ordered my 35mm OSS yesterday so looking forward to getting that.

Its a shame the thread always ends up with people complaining about Sony. Don't like it don't come in here. It should be like the Rx100 thread i visit people discussing their settings and sharing pictures.

Agreed 100%!!!

Any way is anyone using flash with theirs, i had the Nissin i40 briefly but it died shortly after, im thinking of giving it another go as it was the perfect size.

I've had no problem with my i40. It's a great little flash that does exactly what I need. Good to have a flash so small that tilts and swivels. HSS is very handy too. Amazon for me too.

Last edited:
Yup. And you seem to carry it on into other threads too. Like I said, am I talking to 12 year olds?

As an (ex) engineer I too can be highly critical and I do carry that on into this photography lark but I think that it's worth keeping an eye both on the competition and what Sony are trying to do. I don't think that the Sony system is perfect but personally I think it's heading in the right direction. Others disagree and there's room for that on the net but it's the repetition that I find irritating.

Tell you what. I'll take a break from this. I think I've got all the gear I need and my time on the net is limited these days anyway. Just hope that a little balance can be maintained instead of this repetitive Nikon/Fuji/Sony prices are too high stuff we seem to get every few pages in this thread.

Not sure if your having a strop at my last post, but I thought the smilies may have shown it was ment as light-hearted banter, in the same way you used the smilies in your post. Unless it was a massive whooooooooosh to you?

A lot of this banter has increased with the prices being mentioned of there latest lenses and if your being honest to yourself their prices do seem a little OTT for the market they are competing in. To me, Sony aren't currently a prestige maker but a mass producer of electrical equipment. Myself I think they should have produced another brand for the equipment, like Toyota did with Lexus if there intentions are high end.

There sensor technology is probably the best out there at the momment for mass market and the A7Rii is a camera that a lot of people are interested in, including myself. But I think sometimes by putting a Zeiss badge on a lens doesn't mean they can charge aprrox 35% more than other similar manufactures who also produce very good lenses along with the 3rd party alternatives. Panasonic don't seem to put a hefty increase on there lenses when they use the Leica badge. They need to be very careful with there pricing strategy if they want more people to buy into the system.

At the end of the day, It's a forum and there people bitching about Nikon, Canon, Fuji etc............it's the way the internet works. There is repitition which we are all guilty of, including yourself over Fuji, with the 1/4000 SS, use of filters, which using them is like trying to build the great wall of China as it's so hard to do, ISO readings etc............

Don't be so sensitive and continue to post, as been mentioned above, people are grateful for your advice and contributions to the forum.(y)

Last edited:
Agreed 100%!!!

Agreed to a certain extent, but this wouldnt be a gear thread if people werent asking questions and comparing their options before buying into the system. Last time I checked this is in talk equipment, not strictly photo sharing and people come in here to talk about a camera they are clearly interested in.

Last edited:
Wonder when the rest of the grey companies will start listing prices for the rii. Rather keen to try something new.

Last edited:
Wonder when the rest of the grey companies will start listing prices for the rii. Rather keen to try something new.

Was wondering myself, keen to pickup an A7x of some kind but if the grey price of the Rii stands up then I might go for that...

Was wondering myself, keen to pickup an A7x of some kind but if the grey price of the Rii stands up then I might go for that...

In an ideal world Id price this at around the 1500-1800 price depending on region, I think they are coming in to high for a system thats still trying to sell itself, not sure all the bells and whistles deserve the extra cost over the competition. If they priced more aggressively they could gain some serious market share.

I find it surprising as their APSC cameras are pretty much a bargain, both E and A mount.

Last edited:
In an ideal world Id price this at around the 1500-1800 price depending on region, I think they are coming in to high for a system thats still trying to sell itself, not sure all the bells and whistles deserve the extra cost over the competition. If they priced more aggressively they could gain some serious market share.

I find it surprising as their APSC cameras are pretty much a bargain, both E and A mount.

I would guess they are trying to maximise profit whilst what I assume will be a pretty large number of early adopters pick it up. We will soon know if it works based on how easy it will be to just go online and buy one in the next few weeks, I'm guessing 'not very'.

Anecdotally reading on places like Fredmiranda, POTN etc there are more than a few Canon users more than willing to make the jump rather than buy a 5DS/R if the reviews back up early impressions with regards to EF AF speed.

I'm personally waiting for sub £2k, hopefully that's prior to next years peak wedding season.

I would guess they are trying to maximise profit whilst what I assume will be a pretty large number of early adopters pick it up. We will soon know if it works based on how easy it will be to just go online and buy one in the next few weeks, I'm guessing 'not very'.

Anecdotally reading on places like Fredmiranda, POTN etc there are more than a few Canon users more than willing to make the jump rather than buy a 5DS/R if the reviews back up early impressions with regards to EF AF speed.

I'm personally waiting for sub £2k, hopefully that's prior to next years peak wedding season.

Id be one of those Canon users, the AF may not be as good as the 5DS but the sensor makes up for it. I think it will definitely be less than 2k in a year, especially grey, grey launch price is only 2399.

Totally agree, having had an A77 a few years back which cost wise wiped the floor with the Nikon/Canon equivalents at the time.

DigitalRev have it listed for £2399 which seems a bit much - http://www.digitalrev.com/product/sony-alpha-a7r-ii-body/MTEwNDI1MQ_A_A

Id be one of those Canon users, the AF may not be as good as the 5DS but the sensor makes up for it. I think it will definitely be less than 2k in a year, especially grey, grey launch price is only 2399.
US$ retail price is already at £2k. It's almost certain that grey market with "creative importing" will start to edge below 2k by the time stock starts sitting on the shelf for more than 5 minutes. Certainly before the end of the year.

Yep UK price minus VAT is pretty much bang on the converted US price before sales tax, so the 'tax free' greys certainly seem a fair bit 'overpriced' right now, presumably a little early adopter tax.

Yep UK price minus VAT is pretty much bang on the converted US price before sales tax, so the 'tax free' greys certainly seem a fair bit 'overpriced' right now, presumably a little early adopter tax.

I'm still happy with my R, dont think the m2 offers anything for me over mine. I'm holding out for a global shutter.

Full electronic shutter, no shutter lag, no shutter vibration, and no shutter lifetime. IMO as MP increases its becoming more and more a necessity, plus its just better than a mechanical shutter as long as it works well, some global shutter systems are a bit rubbish. As processors and sensors get better its becomes easier to do a full readout so i dont think it will be long.

Last edited:
Last edited:
35/2.8 arrived today. Can't fault it really. Nice IQ and focus much snappier than I expected. It's the first time I've used an AF lens on my A7R and I'm okay with it so far.

*cough cough* just thought we should clear this up ;) @c-m

According to who?
Sony don't the distinction, so on who's authority is it entry level?

A7lineup.jpg

Last edited:
Got to love Sony for having so many options to choose from. Just hope the series doesn't continue to gain weight, otherwise global sensor or not i wont be having it.

Got to love Sony for having so many options to choose from. Just hope the series doesn't continue to gain weight, otherwise global sensor or not i wont be having it.

Agreed, in terms of cameras, its a excellent range. Difficult one that, smaller size vs more comfort.

Its not a difficult one at all, if a bigger size means more comfort there are plenty of DSLRs to choose from. The A7 is supposed to be as small as possible.

Its not a difficult one at all, if a bigger size means more comfort there are plenty of DSLRs to choose from. The A7 is supposed to be as small as possible.

Depends on how different you class sizes/weight, I know some people are particularly sensitive to as little as 100g. I wont go into that debate though. Did you order the 28?

Not yet still deciding on that one, the other half said its a bit too similar to the 35 f2.8 to be worth having both. So i think im leaning towards the 16-35 at least i get the UWA sorted then and just use a flash.

Not yet still deciding on that one, the other half said its a bit too similar to the 35 f2.8 to be worth having both. So i think im leaning towards the 16-35 at least i get the UWA sorted then and just use a flash.

Thought you already had the 16-35, seems the ideal lens for an A7r. Its supposed to be very good.

No, only got the 35 and the 24-70. The reviews of the 16-35 do seem very favourable and i used to love my old Tokina 11-16 so i like the UW stuff. I have never been one for using a flash but maybe its the way to go, never liked the pictures but that was always with built in flash which i understand is no where near as good as a dedicated unit.

I don't think small is the aim, certainly not any more, it was the USP that mirrorless needed in the early days but we're edging past that now. The EVF, on-sensor AF and all the other things mirrorless benefits from are slowly becoming advanced enough to offer a genuine alternative to DSLRs in almost all situations.

The 'experts' seem to agree that mirrorless is the future, and those big EF lenses are going to need a more suitable body if the a7RII delivers like it looks like it may. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a near full DSLR sized body from Sony in the nearish future.

I don't think small is the aim, certainly not any more, it was the USP that mirrorless needed in the early days but we're edging past that now. The EVF, on-sensor AF and all the other things mirrorless benefits from are slowly becoming advanced enough to offer a genuine alternative to DSLRs in almost all situations.

The 'experts' seem to agree that mirrorless is the future, and those big EF lenses are going to need a more suitable body if the a7RII delivers like it looks like it may. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a near full DSLR sized body from Sony in the nearish future.

That's what I'd like tbh, a mirrorless A mount. But I personally think they are holding that back till they can get the AF as fast as phase or people will disregard it.

*cough cough* just thought we should clear this up ;) @c-m

A7lineup.jpg
Whilst I can read, to me that is just pure marketing spin on how to sell an old model. Naturally it works.

Whilst I can read, to me that is just pure marketing spin on how to sell an old model. Naturally it works.
Not an old model though is it? They are still making them as their entry level FF option, not just clearing existing stock out.

To be fair the original A7 is spec and cost wise not much different to a D600/D610 now, it would still make an attractive entry level for someone who wasn't already invested in FX capable Nikon or Canon glass given the choice!

Who said it wouldn't? The point is its an entry level ff camera, not that that's a bad thing.

No, only got the 35 and the 24-70. The reviews of the 16-35 do seem very favourable and i used to love my old Tokina 11-16 so i like the UW stuff. I have never been one for using a flash but maybe its the way to go, never liked the pictures but that was always with built in flash which i understand is no where near as good as a dedicated unit.
While its early days I like my 16-35mm so far seems sharp and good colour rendition

Back