The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Also tempted but will wait to see grey and prices settle. Early adopters always get screwed for the privilege. Plus it's not been reviewed properly.

I'm sure the reviews will start flooding in over the next week or so as they're arriving with people. On the subject of reviews though, Matt Granger just reviewed the 70-200mm G, and seems happy with it.

I've had it since it came out and it's always performed well. Obviously like 99% of lenses it doesn't perform as well as the 55mm, but it's more than good enough. Here's a photo from last week shot on my A7r

Cheryl
by RSPhotography UK, on Flickr

No sharpening or editing other than colour correction and here's a 100% crop. Noise at 100% isn't too bad for ISO640 either..

Where is everyone buying theirs (a7rii) from?
What's the grey price looking like? Think I saw jessops taking preorders for over 2k?

Launch rrp UK is 2599.

Yeah thought that's what I saw jessops pricing it at. Should be about 2k grey in a few months then.
Has there been any developments with an adapter that will take and autofocus with Nikon mount glass?

Yeah thought that's what I saw jessops pricing it at. Should be about 2k grey in a few months then.
Has there been any developments with an adapter that will take and autofocus with Nikon mount glass?

There's been a few snippets of info over on Sony Alpha Rumors about such a adaptor.

Picked up an a7 direct from Amazon UK for £580 today, such a bargain for what it's capable of.

So that's two x a7, 28-70, 55mm 1.8 and 70-200 f4 for less than a new a7RII (just!)

Last edited:
Picked up an a7 direct from Amazon UK for £580 today, such a bargain for what it's capable of.

So that's two x a7, 28-70, 55mm 1.8 and 70-200 f4 for less than a new a7RII (just!)

Great work. I've been blown away by the 55 zeiss on the a7.

How was it so cheap? (y)

Amazon Warehouse (open box), eBay auctions often end up around £550-£600 so it's not exactly a steal.

It does seem a bit odd, you'd think Sony would be shouting about it!

Limited supply maybe? For all we know they may have already cleared the initial shipments on pre-orders, so no need to push it hard just yet.

I would imagine the likes of DPReview have had them for some time and are working away at reviews ready to post whenever the embargo is lifted.

Last edited:
I have to say UK priced for the A7ii (Inc £100 cashback) look good v the usual Hong Kong spots, I'm quite tempted actually rather than paying almost £1600 extra to be an early adopter on the A7rII

When Sony have UK cashback its usually quite favourable compared to grey products. Not a bad idea, its a large saving, if you dont need the bells and whistles of the rii its the sensible choice.

a7RIIs arriving at key retailers tomorrow apparently, WEX have apparently been informing 'pre-orderers' that they will receive it on Thursday.

Makes the review situation all the more odd, unless the embargo lifts in the next 24 hours or so we will no doubt get some iffy samples from some guy with more money than talent who happens to get his first and knocks out some RAWS of his moving cat taken at 1/30 ;)

So, say you had an A7MKII and had £800 to send on lenses to replace, 12,18,35 and 56 on a crop what would you go for?

28mm f2 (or 28-70) and 55mm 1.8, all day long. Can easily cover that with £800 if you shop around (I bought the 28-70 and 55 for less than £700). There is no way you are practically covering the same range with primes (unless you go manual with Samyang).

Last edited:
So, say you had an A7MKII and had £800 to send on lenses to replace, 12,18,35 and 56 on a crop what would you go for?

So you mean, £800 to spend on native mostly AF fast primes 18mm (Samyang?), 27mm (Sony 28mm f2 - £300), 50mm (Zeiss 55 - £480) and 85mm (Batis £800). Id wish you the very best of luck.

Last edited:
28mm f2 (or 28-70) and 55mm 1.8, all day long. Can easily cover that with £800 if you shop around (I bought the 28-70 and 55 for less than £700). There is no way you are practically covering the same range with primes (unless you go manual with Samyang).

He could, as above. Hes 'replacing' some very good Fuji primes.

The pull of full frame I guess and potentially better high ISO performance

With the A7 youll gain a sensor stop but your fast Fuji lenses will (pretty much) give that sensor stop back to you because of the aperture.

Why Sony? No offence Sony users!! I wouldve thought for your kind of shooting fast AF is a big plus.

Last edited:
what's my kind of shooting?!

still want the benefits of mirrorless. ..

Looks like people/kids?! And youre talking about Hi ISO, which gives me the hint of lower light and the AF assumption.

Last edited:
To be fair, it's mainly a bit of everything. The Fuji AF seems fine so don't need something redicilously fast, we all know you have to make atlas one compromise on a camera, as there is no ideal...

To be fair, it's mainly a bit of everything. The Fuji AF seems fine so don't need something redicilously fast, we all know you have to make atlas one compromise on a camera, as there is no ideal...

The Fuji AF is faster than the A7, hence my question. No, really? ;)

@T_J_G I'm continually tempted by Sony A7 until I look at lens selection and lens prices :p

Give it a few years and then maybe!

Back